Gun, Gun, Shoot, Run

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

marvin
Active
Active

Gun, Gun, Shoot, Run

Post by marvin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15 pm

With all the shootings at high school and colleges of late I was inspired to write this lyric. I am not anti-gun or anything like that .Just a lyric. I see it as a metal sorta thing. Marvin."Gun,Gun, Shoot,Run" Lyric by Marvin K. Perkins BMIKids used to be safe at school but not any more.It's gotten so bad we need metal detectors at the door.No matter how we try things don't always turn out the right way.We can't stop the gunman from having his day.Pre-chorus:Too many guns in the wrong hands.What the hell's going on, I can't understand.Chorus:Gun, gun, shoot, run.Then after it's all done.Turn the gun on yourself.Gun, gun, shoot, runGun, gun, shoot, run.Don't pick on that kid dressed in black.Or before you know it he's gonna be back.And blast all the teachers and students to hell.Then blow his own brains out on the floor as well.Pre-chorus:Chorus:The right to bear arms is in the Constitution.But look at all the families in need of restitution.We've got to get hold of this situation,It's a terrible thing we're a gun crazed nation.Pre-chorus:Chorus:Guns don't kill people, people kill people.Tell that to the victims of all this evil.Sometime's it seems we're in the middle of a war.But only the NRA knows what we're fighting for.Pre-chorus:ChorusX2

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Gun, Gun, Shoot, Run

Post by hummingbird » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:38 am

Very powerful lyric, Martin. Reaches right out and grabs you by the throat. And has a timely message too.Very nice to see you here, my friend warmlyHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:58 am

Excellent Marvin, and - unfortunately, relevant to a degree in the UK.Welcome,Dave.

marvin
Active
Active

Post by marvin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:54 am

Vikki, good to see you here on Taxi. I think I met you here originally. I haven't worked on this board in a while thought I'd try it for a change. Thanks for your comments.Dave, thank you for your comments as well and glad you liked it. marvin.

momof4
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by momof4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:53 am

hi! your message is great and thought-provoking...although it seems like, for some reason, IMO, the first verse has a different "feel" than the others. i can't quite put my finger on it - on why it feels different to me than the others. maybe someone else will know what i mean? also, i have to chime in as a "momof4" here...the whole message of the song seems to be "what kind of monster have we created with this gun thing?!", but the chorus, to someone who didn't listen closely to the verses, sounds kind of opposite that. like it's TELLING people to "shoot and run and then kill yourself" or whatever. i know, i know...but really, think about it. if it's metal, no one will probably really be able to understand the lyrics anyways unless it's a ballad, so the main message pumping through kids' heads is going to be "Gun, gun, shoot, run, then after it's all done, turn the gun on yourself". is that really the message you want to be replaying over and over in the listeners' minds? just my two cents. i'm not against what you're saying at all...just seems like you might be shooting yourself in the foot. (no pun intended)

ontariolightning
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ontariolightning » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 am

Metal detectors, dogs, special patrol... Seems like everythingis in control, not sure how that would be out of controlIf everything was out of control there'd be a shooting IMOFor your chorus I don't get the gun gun shoot runthen after its all done turn the gun on yourselfThey usually just shoot themselves after the massacre and not runIMO the run at the end of shoot isn't needed (but only to rhyme) IMOI agree with everything else thoughIt doesn't seem metal to me thoughThe chorus does but not the verses IMOIt's a big big issue around the worldNeeds to be more songs like thisGood work man,

jonathansorensen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jonathansorensen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi Marvin,I particularly like the chorus, the simple repeated: Gun, gun, shoot, run evokes how primitive the emotions are that drive these kinds of behaviors. I don't know how you deliver it but the punctuated short words also evoke the sporadic sound of gunfire. I'm curious as to what kind of music is fitted to a lyric like this that's very serious and very explicit in its message. Good lyric.Jon

marvin
Active
Active

Post by marvin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I just said it seemed metal because of the hard edge of the lyric. If not metal definely rock not country at any rate. I write music for my lyrics as a rule but this one has eluded me. The verses almost seem like a rap thing and the chorus sung heavy I don't know. The first verse is a little diferent from the others i guess. i don't see it as a problem but it could possibly be. In the chorus I used " Gun, Gun, shoot, run" because the shooters always run from one place to another when they are shooting. from classroom to clasroom or in the mall shooting from one location to another. The verses describe situations in society and the chorus is speaking about the gunman like we are watching him at his work and then ending with the climax of him taking his own life. that is the way i see it at any rate. Any way I really appreciate the comments. And i might add if any one out there would like to take a shot at writing music to this lyric i would certainly be up for a co-write. Thanks again, Marvin.

ontariolightning
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ontariolightning » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:05 am

aH Gotcha man thanks for explaining, I hear it as being rock alsoyo I'd like to hear this with music as wellTake care

marvin
Active
Active

Post by marvin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks again for all the comments. I took a look at the first verse and changed the last two lines. I think now it fits better with the other verses. Thanks, Marvin.