HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE(Don't throw the Kitchen sink)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE(Don't throw the Kitchen sink)

Post by DennisPMusic » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:45 am

HI

I have made an attempt for this listing, is it on target, or am I throwing the kitchen sink at this one?πŸ˜‚

I really laughed when I read this. In Denmark, we don't know this expression but we have another one:
"Don't shoot Sparrows with cannons. I think it means the same, or am I wrong?😊.

My song: https://www.taxi.com/members/a9Q_Ye0vSv ... e-ensemble

Reference song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVbPRpWZmE

The Listing:

HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE/DRUM CIRCLE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an excellent Music Library for placements on a TV Show.

This Library is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic range of the following references:

Please submit top-notch Instrumental Cues that feature hand drums as their only instrumentation. Your submissions should be rhythmically engaging from start to finish and have solid arrangements and musicianship, as well. Craft your Cues around a singular rhythmic motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering percussive instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production should be polished and modern.

TAXI Tip: You'd be wise to stick with high-quality recordings of live instruments and avoid submitting anything that sounds synthetic or programmed. Authenticity is key for nailing this request, so if you decide to use any software instruments or samples, they need to be 100% convincing – nothing stiff, dated, low-quality, or obviously MIDI-driven will work here! Your pieces should sound like they're being performed by real musicians!

Really IMPORTANT Tip: More often than not, simpler is better for percussion-based tracks for TV and film! The end users are NOT looking for the "composer of the year." If you track is busy or complex, it makes it harder to use. Resist the temptation to include a bunch of complex counter rhythms. Go for impact, groove, and authentic, organic sounds rather than throwing the "kitchen sink" at this one -- trust us!!!

Your submissions should be about 2 to 3 minutes in length, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE(Don't throw the Kitchen sink)

Post by AlanHall » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am

Hi Dennis,
I like the track. It seems authentically live, and the sounds are crisp and well-defined. And you're in time, unlike several moments in the ref track! :lol:

I do get a 'too busy' sense from this. If it were mine, I'd start by omitting the cymbal rolls, and maybe all the metallophones. With the exception of the cowbell/agogo, the metallophones don't feel like they belong in this ensemble. Matter of taste, I admit. However, taking those out will allow you to stretch out the entrances of the other components to make a less jumbled, less "kitchen sink" piece. The ref track has a real trance/meditative vibe, and the pacing of the entrances - and the subtle variation that you're adding - make your track really 'amped up' in comparison. JM2C

Good luck!

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 pm

AlanHall wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am
Hi Dennis,
I like the track. It seems authentically live, and the sounds are crisp and well-defined. And you're in time, unlike several moments in the ref track! :lol:

I do get a 'too busy' sense from this. If it were mine, I'd start by omitting the cymbal rolls, and maybe all the metallophones. With the exception of the cowbell/agogo, the metallophones don't feel like they belong in this ensemble. Matter of taste, I admit. However, taking those out will allow you to stretch out the entrances of the other components to make a less jumbled, less "kitchen sink" piece. The ref track has a real trance/meditative vibe, and the pacing of the entrances - and the subtle variation that you're adding - make your track really 'amped up' in comparison. JM2C

Good luck!
Hi Alan

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's appreciated πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.
I don't recall using any metallophones and I'm only using South American percussion instruments. Can you point out where in the song it starts?😊.
I will try to leave out the cymbals and maybe leave out an element or two, so it doesn't get so amped up😊.
I have just finished another song for this listing and it's generally more subtle and minimalist.

All the best

Dennis

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi Dennis,
At about :49 - :59 I swear I hear a triangle or a finger-cymbal... at 1:41 it comes back in along with the wood block. Just enough of something that was a different texture that my ears perked up. ;)

South American you say? I am sure you are right, but I had assumed the first instrument as middle-eastern or Indian, maybe tabla. Goes to show how clueless I am about percussion :lol: :lol:

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 am

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm
Hi Dennis,
At about :49 - :59 I swear I hear a triangle or a finger-cymbal... at 1:41 it comes back in along with the wood block. Just enough of something that was a different texture that my ears perked up. ;)

South American you say? I am sure you are right, but I had assumed the first instrument as middle-eastern or Indian, maybe tabla. Goes to show how clueless I am about percussion :lol: :lol:

The drums I'm using in the are just Bongos, but I agree that they also can sound little like a drum from the middle east🀣.

It's Ago-go bells you can hear at :49. Should I remove them?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:56 am

DennisPMusic wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 am
Hi Dennis,

The drums I'm using in the are just Bongos, but I agree that they also can sound little like a drum from the middle east🀣.

No, I was just looking for ways to lighten the texture a bit regarding your original 'kitchen sink' question. Don't remove anything unless it's done as part of your plan. :oops:

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 am

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:56 am
DennisPMusic wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 am
Hi Dennis,

No, I was just looking for ways to lighten the texture a bit regarding your original 'kitchen sink' question. Don't remove anything unless it's done as part of your plan. :oops:
OK:-). I have updated the song file now, I think it works better now, thanks a lot.