We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE/DRUM CIRCLE INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi All --

Would welcome any input on this track (in progress) for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... -gathering

Thank you,
DK

HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE/DRUM CIRCLE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an excellent Music Library for placements on a TV Show.

This Library is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic range of the following references:

"Elemental" by Spiral Rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVbPRpWZmE

"Godfrey's Slow Groove" by Godfrey Mgcina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLqYV_pJyA

"Zombi" by Dragon Ritual Drummers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86rTFzpWIeA

Please submit top-notch Instrumental Cues that feature hand drums as their only instrumentation. Your submissions should be rhythmically engaging from start to finish and have solid arrangements and musicianship, as well. Craft your Cues around a singular rhythmic motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering percussive instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production should be polished and modern.

TAXI Tip: You'd be wise to stick with high-quality recordings of live instruments and avoid submitting anything that sounds synthetic or programmed. Authenticity is key for nailing this request, so if you decide to use any software instruments or samples, they need to be 100% convincing – nothing stiff, dated, low-quality, or obviously MIDI-driven will work here! Your pieces should sound like they're being performed by real musicians!

Really IMPORTANT Tip: More often than not, simpler is better for percussion-based tracks for TV and film! The end users are NOT looking for the "composer of the year." If you track is busy or complex, it makes it harder to use. Resist the temptation to include a bunch of complex counter rhythms. Go for impact, groove, and authentic, organic sounds rather than throwing the "kitchen sink" at this one -- trust us!!!

Your submissions should be about 2 to 3 minutes in length, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HAND DRUM ENSEMBLE/DRUM CIRCLE INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by RickBourassa » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 am

The reference tracks have more dynamics than your track. Your wave form looks very compressed and even. You also may want to consider more of a build up to the end and a couple of edit points.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:46 pm

RickBourassa wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 am
The reference tracks have more dynamics than your track. Your wave form looks very compressed and even. You also may want to consider more of a build up to the end and a couple of edit points.
Good feedback, thanks Rick -- I will incorporate your suggestions before submitting this. Cheers, Doug

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:58 pm

I didn't listen to the reference tracks, so I'm just going by your track alone. I agree with Rick about the waveform looking pretty uniform toward the end but I liked the movement in your piece and the addition of various other sounds as it progressed. It feels nice and organic, which is good! I hope you get a forward!

Merry :)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Merryband1 wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:58 pm
I didn't listen to the reference tracks, so I'm just going by your track alone. I agree with Rick about the waveform looking pretty uniform toward the end but I liked the movement in your piece and the addition of various other sounds as it progressed. It feels nice and organic, which is good! I hope you get a forward!

Merry :)
Thanks a million, Merry -- really appreciated your feedback!

All the best,
Doug

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:44 pm

You're welcome! I really appreciate your feedback, too! It helps so much to have fresh ears on a project. I don't know about you, but I have trouble hearing the things that sometimes need changing! :D

Cheers,
Merry

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:17 am

I have to agree with Rick about the "butter stick" waveform, I was very surprised to see that for a hand drum piece, and I believe that doing more layer subtracting/adding, which you are already doing, can benefit the tune even more. And the ending needs to have a larger buildup, else you will get the "not well composed ending" remark
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi Douglas

Nice workπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.
You're using good sounding samplesπŸ‘.
Here is what I think is missing before it will be super good:

1. A little more variation and buildup. I'm also missing some elements that make the groove flow a little better.
2. I don't know if you're using loops or you have programmed it via midi? If it's midi, maybe try to make a bigger difference in the velocity, because right now it sounds a little static, like everything is around 100-120 all the time. It could also be too much compression, it's hard to hear😊.

All the best...

Dennis P

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:59 pm

superkons wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:17 am
I have to agree with Rick about the "butter stick" waveform, I was very surprised to see that for a hand drum piece, and I believe that doing more layer subtracting/adding, which you are already doing, can benefit the tune even more. And the ending needs to have a larger buildup, else you will get the "not well composed ending" remark
Thanks for the spot-on suggestions - much appreciated. I've updated it this evening, thanks for your help... Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm

DennisPMusic wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:19 pm
Hi Douglas

Nice workπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.
You're using good sounding samplesπŸ‘.
Here is what I think is missing before it will be super good:

1. A little more variation and buildup. I'm also missing some elements that make the groove flow a little better.
2. I don't know if you're using loops or you have programmed it via midi? If it's midi, maybe try to make a bigger difference in the velocity, because right now it sounds a little static, like everything is around 100-120 all the time. It could also be too much compression, it's hard to hear😊.

All the best...

Dennis P
I appreciate the encouragement and tips and have made some updates.

What elements are missing that could help the groove?

Thanks a lot!
Doug