"Hands Off My Lady" [honesty only]

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

"Hands Off My Lady" [honesty only]

Post by jeffabbey » Sat May 17, 2008 5:19 pm

By the way... I'm having a lot of fun here. This is a contest... see instructions on fourth post down.Okay, I already got the first song critiqued in this forum, so let’s move on to the second one. Click here— http://abbeydigitalarts.com/CD/HandsOffMyLady.html There's no pitch correction on this one and yes, the still shot of the drummer you see there actually plays these songs. I’m a 3D animator and I created her here within my computer laboratory. She is the KND-5 model.Jeff

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Hands Off My Lady" [honesty only]

Post by silvercord » Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 pm

funky, Jeff!i really like the feel between the vocal/guitar melody and the drums...i kind of want to hear the high hat and cymbals centered more for some reason...it makes my head tilt to the the lefti am digging it!

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm

May 17, 2008, 9:25pm, silvercord wrote:for some reason...it makes my head tilt to the the leftI think you're right on this one Silvercord. On another critique site it was mentioned a couple of times that they like it over there because it made it stand out. However, it makes my head tilt to the right, but that's probably because I'm always putting my headphones on the wrong way.

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 am

Okay fellow forumites,I just figured out why I like this song one day and hate it the next. So I’m curious as to weather you’re hearing the same things wrong that I’m hearing.This is a contest. Each contestant will be rewarded 10 points for each thing that is wrong with this song. So have at it.Silvercord already has 10 points.

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Oooooh...are there donuts on the line? I don't think Silvercord should play with himself (!) if there are donuts involved...Here's my answers- vox a bit low in the chorus?- opening riff very punchy...a bit too punchy with so many repeats?- acoustic & solo at 1:50 is awesome...maybe use the acoustic throughout and pepper the opening riff more sparingly...perhaps keep it right after each chorus?- the way the song ended is good for me...and the length is good tooWho's next?!? I can't eat all these donuts myself (and they are illegal in Korea, so Silvercord is out...)P.S. Good song Jeff!
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 pm

did someone say donuts!!!!!!!!????????they arent illegal in Korea!i love 'em!(sigh)

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Mon May 19, 2008 3:15 pm

I went to close down my computer, and Jeff's page was still open. I hit play one more time before I shut down...and another point hit me:The opening riff reminds me of "The Macarana" dance.Does that answer disqualify me from the donuts? Does FedEx deliver to Korea?
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Jeff, I think you've found a way to get people to listen to your song over and over, I listened like 6 times already. that's genius!The only thing that's weird for me is the panning of the drums, it's like it's just backwards, if i swap my L with R it sounds right.Your vox sounds like peter gabriel meets bruce dickenson, it's great!I'd like to hear this with a real bass player (sorry if your using one) at 2:47 sounds really midi to me.that's all i have.great tune.marc
-- Marc Blackwell

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Mon May 19, 2008 7:20 pm

May 19, 2008, 5:40pm, devin wrote:- vox a bit low in the chorus?Nope! That aint it. You lose 5 pointsMay 19, 2008, 5:40pm, devin wrote:- opening riff very punchy...a bit too punchy with so many repeats?Correct on the; "so many repeats" You receive 10 points.May 19, 2008, 5:40pm, devin wrote:pepper the opening riff more sparingly...perhaps keep it right after each chorus?Nailed it with this one. The dang thing just gets irritating after a while. [10 points] The crowd goes wild with applause. But you loose 5 points for the “acoustic throughout” because the acoustic is suppose to accent the solo and then go throughout. The audience sighs a long “awwwwwwwwwwe”May 19, 2008, 5:40pm, devin wrote:- the way the song ended is good for meWrong answer; The ending is out of context. Loose no points just because you think that it's Cool. Crowd shakes their heads in disappointment.May 19, 2008, 6:02pm, silvercord wrote:they arent illegal in Korea!(sigh)Correct! Donuts are NOT illegal in Korea. You receive 10 points. But the judges murmur amongst themselves and deduct the 10 point because it has nothing to do with the song. Another long “awwwwwe” from the audience.May 19, 2008, 6:50pm, marcblack30 wrote:The only thing that's weird for me is the panning of the drumsWrong answer; You have to listen to it from the audience’s point of view. You loose 10 point.May 19, 2008, 6:50pm, marcblack30 wrote:a real bass playerCorrect; I don’t own one. You receive 10 pointsMay 19, 2008, 6:50pm, marcblack30 wrote:I listened like 6 timesCorrect; All contestants are suppose to listen a minimum of 6 times. You receive 10. The crowd is wild with applause but then goes into a silent hush as the judges tally the points.__________________________________________________Ladies and gentlemen… This has never happened before… We have a three way tie.The crowd raises in a standing ovation as the judges take all of the donuts and hands them out to the audience.___________________________________________But in all seriousness guys, thanks a lot for listening and your input as well as your compliments. It is all very much appreciated.Jeff

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:17 am

Quote:The only thing that's weird for me is the panning of the drumsWrong answer; You have to listen to it from the audience’s point of view. You loose 10 point.This is interesting, i guess i always mix from a drummers perspective. listening to some tunes this morning and i hear the drums mixed both ways, is there really a standard? my drum software by default is from a drummers perspective as well.may have to start another thread.
-- Marc Blackwell