Hanging in There

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Hanging in There

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 am

Ted wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm
"eh, you never really hear of someone going on the forums and saying "Hey I bagged that $3K sync placement on that TV show"
These opportunities will be open to a lot more people that just Taxi members so I guess the chances are quite slim that it's bagged by a member of the forums.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 am
Ted wrote:
"eh, you never really hear of someone going on the forums and saying "Hey I bagged that $3K sync placement on that TV show"
These opportunities will be open to a lot more people that just Taxi members so I guess the chances are quite slim that it's bagged by a member of the forums.
Yeah, I'm aware of that reality. It's a competitive world, but everything counts in large amounts. :)

I"ve said before that one of the most recent soul crushing experiences for musicians the world over, was last year's Spitfire Audio Westworld Scoring Competition. You think maybe a couple hundred people are going to enter and then on the day of the announcement of the winners... they announce that they had something like ELEVEN THOUSAND entries.

But I do wonder if maybe there are Taxi members out there who are getting big syncs but just are not "forum types". Maybe they think it will jinx them or something.I mean the person who got the sync for the busker listing has never posted to the forum that I'm aware of. I would have thought maybe this forum would have more engagement. Of course the other day I was shocked at the high numbers of views of some posts-- but then there was the discussion of bots, so I have no idea.

I'm also curious when I look at the forwards blog how many private forwards were also included. I've been selecting "private" on my submissions lately, so if I get a forward, it doesn't show up on the blog. What I think WOULD be helpful is if TAXI would at least list the NUMBER of private submissions forwarded along with the public forwards so we could have an overall idea.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:19 am

My Opinion... 90% of all "Songwriting " or "Scoring" competitions are Bunk
Almost always they are for Self-Advertising and Revenue for the Sponser
Generally the winner is chosen ahead of time (by association with the sponser)
I've had friends involved...
Much like the CIA and Lotto tickets (Money Laundering) :P
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 am
Ted wrote:
Yeah, I'm aware of that reality. It's a competitive world, but everything counts in large amounts. :)

I"ve said before that one of the most recent soul crushing experiences for musicians the world over, was last year's Spitfire Audio Westworld Scoring Competition. You think maybe a couple hundred people are going to enter and then on the day of the announcement of the winners... they announce that they had something like ELEVEN THOUSAND entries.

But I do wonder if maybe there are Taxi members out there who are getting big syncs but just are not "forum types". Maybe they think it will jinx them or something.I mean the person who got the sync for the busker listing has never posted to the forum that I'm aware of. I would have thought maybe this forum would have more engagement. Of course the other day I was shocked at the high numbers of views of some posts-- but then there was the discussion of bots, so I have no idea.

I'm also curious when I look at the forwards blog how many private forwards were also included. I've been selecting "private" on my submissions lately, so if I get a forward, it doesn't show up on the blog. What I think WOULD be helpful is if TAXI would at least list the NUMBER of private submissions forwarded along with the public forwards so we could have an overall idea.
Hi Ted,
I also submitted to the busker listing but did not get a forward. When it comes to making things public when forwarding a track I would not read too much into it. I sometimes just want to upload stuff quickly and do not check these boxes (I certainly do not have a benefit from doing that but I agree it is helpful for those checking the forward blog). There is definitely a lot of competition and I think you can only do it if you are fully committed and even then it is hard but I can definitely see how I am getting better when listening to material I submitted 1 or 2 years ago. So just stay the course - I have been able to secure several publishing deals and I have placements on a regular basis so this is not a scam or anything. It is just a very competitive environment.
Cheers,
Matt

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Dear Ted
I really related to your post, what a complete nightmare you had at the last minute trying to submit your busker song only to find this Monday that you were on track but circumstances stopped you in your tracks. It wasn’t meant to be.
However you see the positive in finishing your song.
I can just imagine both yourself and brother in the final minutes.
My story differs to yours, on Saturday morning I saw the listing jumping out of bed to plan. As I said before I spent years entertaining as a singer/guitarist being well versed in pub work and when very young busking.
Faced with the listing I made bullet points of what would be important.
I interrupted the listing and shaped a pub singalong about fishermen using commen English words which are unique to us in English and showed the required charm.
I researched the time that fishing boats are dispatched and why, I included a very easy singalong section in the chorus commen in pub songs. (Part of the brief pub or sea shanty)
I did re-writes on Sunday and recorded the song, in the brief we were asked to sound buskerish and not be too perfect.
I didn’t like my entry much, but it wasn’t about me it was following the brief of which I did to the letter. I submitted and later that week I learnt it was a return. What shocked me is the screener who gave the generic “you don’t sound British and have not met the target”
Horse Shit.
And it that I am furious about, as far as I am concerned the brief said thick British accent, anything less is an imposter. There was two British forwards in the 9 played on Monday, all the imposters that never sounded British should really have not been forwarded. Imposters.
I take a dim view of double standards and this is a case of it when a particular thing was asked for and then changing the goal posts.
It shows poor management and incompetence. It is grossly unfair to all British sounding submissions that an imposter from OZ wins the pitch.
Karen
:idea: “It’s unhealthy to bottle up feelings”

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:04 pm

I tend to disagree. The fact that someone is successful who just did it right cannot be wrong. I actually think it is an encouragement for everyone submitting to stuff like 'Uzbekistan Instrumental'. Are you going to complain that you were forwarded if you are in fact based in Kansas?
My five cents.
Cheers,
Matt

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi Matt
I am not saying the winner from Oz was no good, it was a perfectly good song.
IT DID NOT MEET THE BRIEF. Of a thick British accent and therefore should not have been forwarded, leaving the true British sounding tracks alone to fight it out.
The others are imposters with no biz being there in the forwards. Double standards by Taxi. Changing goal posts, call it what you like. It’s unfair and was managed badly.
End of.

terry93004
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by terry93004 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks to everyone for your responses to this post ... FYI - I have been "hanging in there" for many years with TAXI. And I'm thankful that through their service I have developed relationships with several music libraries who have really come through for me with placements in film and tv. In the most recent past, my submissions look like a battlefield in a war I lost :) ... a lot of Returns. Michael just posted a piece about "Are There Any Hopes for Your Songs in Today's Market?" where he emphasizes writers to collaborate with more contemporary producers once they've written a song that meets the criteria of "contemporary" (lyrics-melodies-chords). So, at 69 years old I ask myself if I want to spend my time writing trying to fit into what is "contemporary-sounding"? For the most part, the answer is no for me. I got into music in the first place because I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I'd been taking piano lessons with no relevance to anything. Once I saw them I just wanted to play guitar. I remember years later getting trapped into producing music that wasn't really in my genres of interest. It felt a lot like a real job (one that you don't want). There are plenty of opportunities for everyone's music. It's all about finding the right place for it which is about relationships with sources for distribution (music libraries, music supervisors, editors, producers, etc.).

I'm rambling but, the point is probably summed up by what a very successful music supervisor told me yesterday. He said music supervisors can talk all day long about formulaic concepts on film and tv music but there really are no rules. Maybe you increase the odds if your intro is shorter than it would be normally; or the vocal a little lower in the mix; or less changes in the sound design; etc., but, in the end, he suggested the emphasis should always be on a writing the best song you can. Adelle did not have groundbreaking, sidechain compression pumping rhythms and she's done pretty well. There are many examples like this.

Finally, whining is out! We can't whine. This is a hard-ass business for hard asses. More than "hang in there", "fight back".

You're all awesome!
Terry

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey Karen
Best thing to do is contact headscreener at taxi dot com for clarification/more info regarding your return. Discuss it politely with them. It is unlikely the return will be changed to a forward but if you feel that strongly that the screener is that far off, talk with them about it. Get more info. The head screener is one of the nicest people. And incredibly industry savvy.

Best,
:D Casey

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Hello Casey,

Nice of you to write, yes Angela is very nice I am afraid I had other dealings with her about the shoddy way screeners give critique that is completely wrong, and show little care with no pride at all in their job.

1. I submitted to the vintage listing two songs from the 90s recorded back then in a 24 track studio, cost myself and biz partner an arm and leg, all those years ago, the songs had mild success in the day but nothing major. The point is the tracks had to be authentic time dated tracks.

The screener wrote back with a load of nonsense about changing this and that. How could I ?? The whole idea was time dated tracks. Angela agreed.

2. A lot of nonsense about a song critique which had been praised by Robin Frederick on taxi TV, who I quote commented on my voice saying how she liked it , very suitable for tv etc.
    Screener returned it. Said it was out of tune ? And had a hiss on the recording...
    I put the song here in the Foram where it was found to be brushes making the so called hiss. And my singing pitch was reviewed by a pro opera singer in England along with my producer who 100 % disagreed with the screener.
    CEO then showed me up on Taxi TV, I was not impressed. I have since had a remix and the brushes are out now. Much better.

When I was told I didn’t sound English enough I laughed like a drain. Then only to find the Goal post moved and All nationalities were forwarded in the busker request but only two from England. Load of tosh. I have given up, the screeners can differ, and some are very good, giving value for money critique. Others are a waste of space. And ignoring the British applicants submissions for the very thing they asked for, was a waste of my time and money.
    Poor management. An imposter from OZ was picked! I know brits are not always popular, but come on...
    I am not going to bother complaining any more, because nothing changes, I am talking to a wall.
    But thanks for the idea.