DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "HAPPY, CLAPPY" ACOUSTIC POP INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:16 pm
Nice tune!

All the chords in the A section are one bar only, and there seem to be a lot of different ones... this makes it a bit restless. I think it would improve if there was a two-bar chord in that progression? The B section doesn't suffer from this, you're already using two-bar chords there.

Just a thought!
Hey there! I can hear what you mean - the "A" section is changes chords really frequently compared to the "B" section, which could be off-putting. To fix it, I'd really have to start over with the piece, so I may just create something new using your suggestion, with less frequent chord changes and see what I can come up with! Thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
Doug

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:31 pm

Yes, very nice, Douglas!

The dead stop at around 1:07 feels a bit unnatural to me. I would at least put more of a musical resolution or cadence there, and perhaps not have complete silence at all? Curious what others think of this, as I'm a bit surprised that no one else commented on it.

===
Michael

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:31 pm
Yes, very nice, Douglas!

The dead stop at around 1:07 feels a bit unnatural to me. I would at least put more of a musical resolution or cadence there, and perhaps not have complete silence at all? Curious what others think of this, as I'm a bit surprised that no one else commented on it.

===
Michael
Hi Michael, and thank you for listening! I was wondering about the stop as well, and, on one hand, think it may help to give a clear edit point and on the other, wondering if it would be frowned upon by the screeners. I've not heard any other comments on it yet though, so hoping it won't be a deal breaker. I could always submit another version with no stop! Either way, thanks a lot for your comments and help...
Doug

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 pm

An edit point is a musically logical place where it makes sense to cut the cue. This does not mean you must insert a moment of silence. If you do, that's okay, as long as the moment of silence makes sense. Edit points are musical cadences or resolutions.
--Writing Production Music for TV, Steve Barden, p. 68
The conclusion I draw is: Do what makes the most musical sense. Do not leave silence simply because you think it will make an easier edit point.

===
Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 pm
An edit point is a musically logical place where it makes sense to cut the cue. This does not mean you must insert a moment of silence. If you do, that's okay, as long as the moment of silence makes sense. Edit points are musical cadences or resolutions.
The conclusion I draw is: Do what makes the most musical sense. Do not leave silence simply because you think it will make an easier edit point.

===
Michael
Let me add - without being contrary - the cue certainly must be musical (by some definition) but it must also have utility. The editor is not going to a concert, they are going to a buffet - to pick and choose what is best for the scene they're cutting to. If the spot of silence is both musical and useful, then it has satisfied the criteria of having made "the most ... sense". Many cues that I've studied have really great edit points that are not silences, but rather a slowing or cessation of motion, or a lull in the melody (where the rhythm is still going but could be faded out over a few seconds without sounding strange), or some other "breathing point" that allows an easy and satisfying edit.
I struggle with temptation, and lose quite a lot :lol: when I make my cues follow some classical common-practice notion of form. They are too busy, too complex. For the editor, whatever bit they use for sync must have a 'completeness' about it as it stands alone. That bit they select must not need what comes before or what comes after to make musical sense. Edit points don't need to be a hard stop, but they do need to be an OK place to stop listening. If that makes any sense?

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:39 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 pm
irthlingz wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 pm

===
Michael
Let me add - without being contrary - the cue certainly must be musical (by some definition) but it must also have utility. The editor is not going to a concert, they are going to a buffet - to pick and choose what is best for the scene they're cutting to. If the spot of silence is both musical and useful, then it has satisfied the criteria of having made "the most ... sense". Many cues that I've studied have really great edit points that are not silences, but rather a slowing or cessation of motion, or a lull in the melody (where the rhythm is still going but could be faded out over a few seconds without sounding strange), or some other "breathing point" that allows an easy and satisfying edit.
I struggle with temptation, and lose quite a lot :lol: when I make my cues follow some classical common-practice notion of form. They are too busy, too complex. For the editor, whatever bit they use for sync must have a 'completeness' about it as it stands alone. That bit they select must not need what comes before or what comes after to make musical sense. Edit points don't need to be a hard stop, but they do need to be an OK place to stop listening. If that makes any sense?
Thanks, Alan. Agree 100%.

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:54 am

It sounds very positive and cheerful. Just one suggestion, when you go back to the main theme at around 1.30 it might be better if the overall sound was more powerful - the same melody but louder and with additional instrumentation to show a developmental arc. Apart from that observation, I think it's great.

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 am

Overall I liked it, very toe tapping. The Glock sound didn't sit right with me either. Clean production, so jealous!!

Good luck!

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am

Douglas, please note that S211109LH just dropped:
"FEEL-GOOD, ACOUSTIC-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES"
which sounds like another opportunity for your cue ;)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:37 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am
Douglas, please note that S211109LH just dropped:
"FEEL-GOOD, ACOUSTIC-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES"
which sounds like another opportunity for your cue ;)
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know, Alan -- much appreciated!
Doug