Hard Rock, Alt Rock, QOTSA?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Hard Rock, Alt Rock, QOTSA?

Post by deantaylor » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:10 pm

We'd really appreciate your opinion on this one.
How do you like it?
Is it ready to pitch to libraries?
Any issues? Any room for improvement?
Who do you think it sounds like? Queens of the Stone Age? The Strokes? Vampire Weekend? other?

https://on.soundcloud.com/Kh7ti

Thank You!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Hard Rock, Alt Rock, QOTSA?

Post by AlanHall » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:36 pm

My honest opinion:
I really like the unique character of the singer's voice. Kinda places the music in an 'indie rock' space for me. Don't lose that quality - it makes you YOU.
I think the lyrics and the phrasing are very clever, keeping the listener attentive to where that melodic line goes next.
Influences? I'd say somewhere between U2, The Clash, and Stone Temple Pilots.

I must confess that your work strikes me as "artist" material rather than something that is sync-able. Having said that, the energy and the vibe you give off in the music and vocals are just about perfect for advertising. The caveat is you'll have to write lyrics that are VERY simple and completely to the point of motivating the listener to go 'get' or 'do' something. IIRC, the Taxi TV episode this week had ML and his guest (Jim Thacker) talking about this very thing. And it comes up with remarkable regularity in Taxi TV anyway. So my 2/1000 of a cent's worth of advice is to keep doing what you're doing, for YOU; and to start writing some quick 90-second bits based on everything you're going learn about music for advertising. So go learn it!

I sincerely wish I had your talent and energy,
Alan

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:51 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:36 pm
My honest opinion:
I really like the unique character of the singer's voice. Kinda places the music in an 'indie rock' space for me. Don't lose that quality - it makes you YOU.
I think the lyrics and the phrasing are very clever, keeping the listener attentive to where that melodic line goes next.
Influences? I'd say somewhere between U2, The Clash, and Stone Temple Pilots.

I must confess that your work strikes me as "artist" material rather than something that is sync-able. Having said that, the energy and the vibe you give off in the music and vocals are just about perfect for advertising. The caveat is you'll have to write lyrics that are VERY simple and completely to the point of motivating the listener to go 'get' or 'do' something. IIRC, the Taxi TV episode this week had ML and his guest (Jim Thacker) talking about this very thing. And it comes up with remarkable regularity in Taxi TV anyway. So my 2/1000 of a cent's worth of advice is to keep doing what you're doing, for YOU; and to start writing some quick 90-second bits based on everything you're going learn about music for advertising. So go learn it!

I sincerely wish I had your talent and energy,
Alan
Thanks Alan. That is valuable and thoughtful feedback.

I agree this song may be more like 'artist' material but we are gonna pitch it to libraries and I've had pretty good sync success over the years with 'artist-like' songs.

This song is a collab. I wrote the lyrics. Gregg Mandel composed it and laid down a solid production demo/idea. Ron Kujawa sings it, added some great instruments and put the final production/mix together.

I hear you on adverts. I have targeted adverts with a band project the past 2 years and we've done pretty well. Got a 4 figure advert placement last year and 5 songs signed to a top-tier library.

Dean

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by WSAO » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:44 pm

Really cool song!
Not sure if it's for a listing but still a good for any library.
Good luck!