Has anyone made the switch from Digital Performer to Logic?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Has anyone made the switch from Digital Performer to Logic?

Post by vikvik20 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone made the switch from the Mac application Digital Performer to Logic. Your thoughts? Good / Bad / Not much of a difference?

What's the learning curve like for Logic? I'm considering switching but I'm so good @ DP interface that it's tough to let go.

Thanks!

-vic
I'll settle for 5 minutes instead of 15.
http://www.taxi.com/UnstarMusic

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Has anyone made the switch from Digital Performer to Logic?

Post by mazz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 pm

I've considered it off and on, but am generally too busy to take up learning a new DAW so I never get around to it.

I guess the thing you have to decide is why you would want to switch? Are there things in Logic that you can't do in DP? Are the loops and instruments worth making the switch and committing to a new learning curve, no matter how steep or flat, because you will have some downtime, that's for sure! Will switching really improve your music? Will it improve your workflow?

If you have the time and inclination, you can always put Logic on your hard drive along with DP and learn it gradually as you go. If you don't have a deadline, then you can do a project in Logic as a learning exercise. Then you'll see if you want to switch.

Of course, in order to do that, you would need to buy Logic Studio or the lower end version. You need to decide if spending the money on something you may or may not use is worth it.

I guess for me it boils down to time and money. I don't want to spend the time learning another DAW when I am making perfectly good music with the one I use (DP) and it hasn't stopped me from getting placements. I don't want to spend the money on something I may not get around to learning for months, years, or ever, due to my busy composing schedule (and my day gig which is always looming!)

It's not a decision to take lightly. It's also a very personal choice, there's no such thing as a "better" DAW, the best DAW is the one that you can get the best and quickest, most efficient results out of.

Good luck and happy holidays!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:57 pm

My first DAW (a decade ago) was Logic. The experience was like buying a car and being given a box of parts, and told, "You can build it anyvay you vant to!'"

Now, I'm a Sonar guy. I trust Logic has gotten a bit more user friendly since it's early days.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 am

I made the switch from DP to Logic around 2002. For me, it was an easy switch - I just seemed to gel very well with Logic. There are still some things I like about DP, but for the most part, I am totally happy with Logic.

As Mazz said - it is a very personal choice and there isn't a better DAW, just one that fits better with the way you work. I would suggest you go to an Apple store and play around with Logic for a bit and see what you think. And really question why you want to make the change in the first place.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:22 am

Hey!
The learning curve will surely slow you down. So if you're busy, don't even think about it!!!

I've been using DP for years and I'm super happy. Same with Finale over Sibelius. I was given Sibelius as
a gift and it's still sitting there in the box it came in. I just don't have time to learn it!

WTH

Adonis

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:20 am

I'm a little late to this thread but lemme jump in here...

I generally agree with all the above comments, I was a long time Cakewalk/Sonar user( up to PE 8.5 ), I've tried Cubase( when they were at ver 4.0 ), before making the switch to Logic 9. I like Logic's enterprise approach from start to finish but the truth is, I haven't used some items that are included like the mastering software, convolution reverbs and flex time. I just bounce... I believe that Logic has a slight edge over other DAWs in that it is an Apple product made to run on Apple machines. Again, I say "slight". If Microsoft came out with a professional DAW that ran in Windows it would probably run with spectacular results just like their Office products do. Logic seems to manage all of the machine resources more efficiently than the Windows based DAWs did running on various Windows OS that I have tried over the years. Having said that, I have to point out that on the one hand, I've never seen DP or ProTools at all and I haven't tried Cubase on my Apple. They may run just as well. Secondly, there is quite a learning curve involved in Logic as it is vast, much more than say Sonar, but if you've got it goin' on with a DAW and are happy, I can't see changing. I changed and tried something new mainly because I was unhappy with the machines.

HTH
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vikvik20 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:12 am

Thanks everyone for the replies... Holiday season kinda prevented me from checking the responses...

I've taken a lot of the feedback and I am just going to stick with what I know.. It's true that a new DAW isn't going to make anything "better". It's just a tool and I'm pretty damn good with DP so I'll stick w/ it.

Thanks!!
I'll settle for 5 minutes instead of 15.
http://www.taxi.com/UnstarMusic