Has anyone tried AirSpun?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

smackle

Has anyone tried AirSpun?

Post by smackle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:19 am

I just put together my first indie CD, and I've been looking for ways to get it out there. Aside from all the usual stuff (posting online, etc.), I've been reading about this new service called AirSpun. It seems that this service lets you buy commercial airtime on radio and use it to promote your stuff. It's at www. airspun.com. I'm curious if anyone has tried it, and if so, how has it worked for you...? I'd never heard of a service like this, but it sounds kind of interesting, so I wanted to see if anyone had feedback. I'm pretty new at all of this... so, any thoughts?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Has anyone tried AirSpun?

Post by davewalton » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:36 am

Quote:I've been reading about this new service called AirSpun. It seems that this service lets you buy commercial airtime on radio and use it to promote your stuff.Hi Smackle,I don't know anything about Airspun but it sounds interesting... bringing "payola" to the common man. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm hoping someone will know more and can help you out with that.As an aside and another possible marketing avenue, there is a book called "Song Writer's Market" that sends out information sheets to all kinds of industry businesses and then these information sheets are published in book form. What you get is a book that is filled with the contact info and submission instructions for hundreds of record companies, publishers, producers, and music libraries. Record companies listed range from the recognizable Sony Nashville to the not-so-recognizable Rotten Records (whoever they are). For example, it says here that Rotten Records was established in 1988 (they've been around a while) and that they release 3 LP's, 3 EP's, and 3 CD's per year according to their sheet. They list three recent albums that they've released. They do mostly rock, alternative, commercial, punk and heavy metal. They take unsolicted submissions by mail and they do not return the material you send. Their "tip" (every listing has their own tip): Be patient.Amen to that.The Sony Nashville listing is much less helpful as they clearly state that they do not take unsolicted submissions. Duh. At least you know not to waste your time sending them material unless you have an agent/attorney that they work with.Not all "big" companies are so difficult. Disney Music Publishing wants you to call first before submitting and gives you a contact name and number. Better rehearse your pitch before making that call. Anyway, just another of many possible marketing avenues including Taxi and AirSpun. I'm always an advocate of using as many avenues as possible. You never know which one will pay off. Dave