Have you ever had an obsessed fan?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Have you ever had an obsessed fan?

Post by onoffon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:39 am

I mean, the kind that just kinda creeps you out?The kind that other people are noticing and warning you about?I've had some intense responses to my playing before, but this just took the cake... We'll see what happens next gig...

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Have you ever had an obsessed fan?

Post by squids » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Insert warning violin theme here.Ack! Good luck Von. Take a Taser jes in case. They can't sue you if you file a restraining order against 'em!

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Apr 20, 2008, 12:39pm, onoffon wrote:I mean, the kind that just kinda creeps you out?The kind that other people are noticing and warning you about?I've had some intense responses to my playing before, but this just took the cake... We'll see what happens next gig... VonI've yet to have a fan Never mind an obsessed one Liam

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Same here!

mer
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Yes I've had obsessed fans, but have never had to try to deal with them all by myself - my bandmates help. And I learned alot from one bandmate in particular, Hank Roberts, about how to spread out the energy of the obsessed or slightly wacko person, by introducing them to other people, making connections among everyone... I guess this assumes the person is not actually threatening physical harm or needs a bouncer's attention or is trying something else totally inappropriate...What happened to you?--Mer

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Apr 20, 2008, 12:39pm, onoffon wrote:I mean, the kind that just kinda creeps you out?The kind that other people are noticing and warning you about?I've had some intense responses to my playing before, but this just took the cake... We'll see what happens next gig... My hubby? He can be my obsessed fan all he wants.

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:45 pm

ah I've had obssesed fans, but they where all college girls, so.....wasnt all that worriedwhen I used to battle constantly, there was this set of three girls who where always at the tournaments, and they started wearing these jackets, that had "the milfettes" on em, and they said they where my fan club, they used to turn there backs when anyone else was on the micand I have had one or two pretty seriously die hard fans, I am just one of those characters you know, dress like a dirty skater kid, win a bunch of rap battles, kinda a novelty i suppose, with the candy curls and allbut yeah, id just have someone come to gigs with ya, and ride home with ya, prefferable someone mean/big or both
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:51 pm

I wouldn't say "obsessed" but I get multiple messages every day - over instant messaging, email, Garageband, Myspace, etc - from fans. Some are very persistent and will generally talk to me at every chance they get, but I don't like turning people away, so I talk to them whenever I have time.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:18 pm

I have had the odd obsession-like contact from people but thankfully nothing too excessive. A few people begging me to help them get a record career or lend them money to make recordings, or help them write better songs (by sending me 5 or 6 lyrics a day to ask me what I think). (And before you ask - no I can't help, I just paid the rest of the bills owning for the month and I have $13 left until someone pays me )
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:07 pm

I wasn't gonna comment in depth cuz really, it's still creeping me out and it was ages ago....But this dude....he would show at all the gigs only I never noticed him because he wasn't near the stage.....he would hang out at the bar. Anyway, it was winter and I started finding footprints outside my window occasionally. Then summer came and while I was in the bathroom (I mean, c'MON already, what was this freak thinkin??), he'd climbed a tree to look in and accidentally fell off, made a HUGE noise. I set the Dobermans on him. I had two of them and they could sound pretty fierce.They chased him two blocks before cornering him in his car (he parked two blocks away, the perv, sheesh!). I called the cops. I didn't have any proof but they went to the house and looked at the tree that had busted branches and stuff. But still, it was pretty much he said/she said. One of them knew me though so they gave him the big talk. It creeped me out big time but I figured that was that.Nope. He showed up at the next gig and stood in the middle of the dance floor, while everyone else was dancing and the music was loud as all get-out. He jes stood there, staring. Same at the next gig and the next gig......it started weirding out the crowds and he got thrown out of a few clubs because of it but he kept right on doing it.In a weird coincidence, someone put him in a hospital about 9 weeks later. Beat him bad. He left town after that and was never seen again. Crazy.This was back when I was young and cute though. I developed a severe frosty attitude after that. I still have it so they sorta leave me alone when it's on and don't when it's not. I got the whole motherly thing happenin' when it's off....it's like chocolate for the emotional diabetic, I guess. Dammit.