Headphones

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Headphones

Post by Gillihan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:39 am

Anyone have any experience with Berringer studio headphones ? I use lots of their stuff and some of it is pretty impressive for knock off. especially the U-phoria UNC404HD interface for recording. It has midas preamps and wow!! Very cool for really low price. Checking around before I buy a bunch of pairs of headphones for my studio. they go for $25 bucks. 4 for $100 is way better than 4 for $1,000 lol but if they are not good enough quality to ref sound than What's the point? here's the ones..
: :idea: Behringer BH 470 Studio Monitoring Headphones

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Headphones

Post by AlanHall » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:22 pm

I'm posting so I can see where this goes ;)

When I use headphones, I check my mixes in a pair of Audio Technica cans. Not super expensive, $70 or $80 if I recall. I'm tempted to pick up a pair of the headphones that screeners use; the exact model has been discussed on Taxi TV and elsewhere, the price was about $40, I think?
Alan

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:31 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:22 pm

When I use headphones, I check my mixes in a pair of Audio Technica cans. Not super expensive, $70 or $80 if I recall. I'm tempted to pick up a pair of the headphones that screeners use; the exact model has been discussed on Taxi TV and elsewhere, the price was about $40, I think?
Alan
Yes before the the world shut down I bought a pair of the the Audiotechnica ATM-m25 that the screeners used when they were screening from the office but I think it all changed when they started screening from home but these are closed back anyway good for tracking and not for listening to a final mix/master.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:42 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:22 pm

Alan

I have really great Kali Monitors for mixing. I also have various other places to check mixes(the car ,the home stereo etc.) I just need some decent Headphones mainly for tracking vocals and acoustic instruments . I actually have some of those audio technica ones. (I stepped on them) DOH!! LOl thats basically the demise of all of my headphones sooner or later. Thats why I don't wanna spend a heap on any hahaha

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 am

I mix exclusively in headphones, I have for years, I have no choice. I have a Beringer U-Phoria interface, my headphones are Audio Technica ATH-M50X. We researched both items a great deal before purchase. The headphones have served me well. However, they are more pricey than your stated budget.

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

eandersonmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eandersonmusic » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:51 am

A lot of headphones these days come with a replaceable cable that you insert or plug into the actual headphone, so if you step on the cable and it ruins the headphones, this may be a good option for you. I had a pair that got caught on something and ruined the cable, not a big deal, just replaced the cable and saved the headphones.
Erik Anderson ~ Composer, Producer and Musician
Website • https://www.eandersonmusic.com
Taxi page • https://www.taxi.com/members/erikanderson
Spotify • https://open.spotify.com/artist/78FpvfK ... 0MClpl1zqA

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:07 pm

eandersonmusic wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:51 am
A lot of headphones these days come with a replaceable cable that you insert or plug into the actual headphone, so if you step on the cable and it ruins the headphones, this may be a good option for you. I had a pair that got caught on something and ruined the cable, not a big deal, just replaced the cable and saved the headphones.
They do, I went ahead and ordered them. They should be here any day now. I will fill y'all in on how good they work.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:44 am

Gillihan wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:07 pm
eandersonmusic wrote:
They do, I went ahead and ordered them. They should be here any day now. I will fill y'all in on how good they work.
Which model, please?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:41 am

IMHO $25 Behringer headphones are likely fine for tracking but for mixing I would always reccommend buying the best studio headphones you can. I just checked back to the orignal review of the Sennheisers I got for my own studio and it turns out I've had them over 20 years and they have outlasted pretty much everything else in my studio - Monitors - Controller Keyboards - Computers - Any piece of softwre I owned then. My point is that if you plan to do any serious work on them it's worth investing in good ones.

I remembered seeing a good round up review in Sound on Sound, turns out it was 13 years ago but quite a few of the headphones tested are still in production and a couple of them are significantly cheaper than they were then. These are all from good quality manufacturers and likely to give good service over a long period with replacable parts being available on the better models. Some of them are very reasonably priced.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/st ... adphones-0

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:54 am

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:44 am
Gillihan wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:07 pm
eandersonmusic wrote:
Which model, please?
Here ya go Alan,
Behringer BH 470 Studio Monitoring Headphones