Headphones - Thoughts on the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Krakoukask
Active
Active

Headphones - Thoughts on the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro?

Post by Krakoukask » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Hey guys, so I was thinking of investing into the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro Headphones. Would love to hear if anyone has used them for Mixing/Studio work.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Headphones - Thoughts on the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro?

Post by lesmac » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:57 pm

I use them and like them. The only negative for me is the cloth between the speaker and one’s ear wears through after 1 or 2 thousand hours. It is fiddly to replace and if not done correctly you can damage the cushion. One can still use them without the cloth of course.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:09 pm

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80 ohms version). I've had these things for a decade at least. I've used mine a lot and find them to be excellent headphones.

The only cons I can think of is that they seem to get slightly uncomfortable on my ears when I'm using them for an extended period of time. Maybe my ears are on the big side.

Like Les said, I've had the fabric over the speaker wear so thin it's almost nothing. the cushion surrounds on mine are a bit ratty and I need to to replace them. Also the faux leather cover that goes over the top part on mine has worn quite a bit too. I want to replace that too.

I'm usually a person who buys something new when something breaks rather than fix it, most of the time. These headphones are an exception. A few years ago the original cord that connects the input source to the left earpiece went bad. They kept shorting out but I couldn't think of trashing them. I ordered a replacement cord from Beyerdynamic and got a soldering iron out and fixed them right up.

A few months ago I finally got my first proper studio monitors-- up til now I've had to mix everything on my Beyerdynamic headphones. I'm impresed when I play some of my older mixes through my monitors, how good it all sounds-- a testament to the flat, accurate response of these cans. I don't know much about other headphones, but the DT770 PRO have served me well and have been an excellent value for what I paid for them.

Krakoukask
Active
Active

Post by Krakoukask » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:01 am

Thanks a lot for your input guys! Really appreciate it!

Krakoukask
Active
Active

Post by Krakoukask » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 am

Order placed! I've always wanted to try and mix using flat headphones. Let's see how this goes!

Krakoukask
Active
Active

Post by Krakoukask » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:32 am

A small note for the gearheads, i went for the 250 ohms version i/o the 80 ohms. Apparently the 250 are flatter and better suited for mixing (which i what I intend to use them for). Just thought I'd share this here!