We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PeteW

Heartfelt Singer-Songwriter Tune

Post by PeteW » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:29 am

My co-writer Todd and I put together this scratch/demo track yesterday for
the current listing here: https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S231112AC

From 0:00-2:42 is the part we're considering keeping - there's a break and then
outro after 2:42 that gets to be a bit too 90's IMO, so we're gonna take that out.

I just want to see what you all think re: does this 0:00-2:42 section sound like
it could be on a playlist with any of the references?

My initial thoughts are that it could be, if I simplify the vocal singing style, and
modify the melody a bit to be more in line with contemporary phrasing.

Regarding arrangement.. that will likely be a simple, building blend of acoustic guitar,
piano, brushes on snare + deep acoustic kick.

Any input is super helpful at this stage, thanks!

Song Link: https://www.taxi.com/members/0bmMlaH7Rn ... atch-demo-

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:39 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Heartfelt Singer-Songwriter Tune

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:51 am

Hey Pete
I commented before when you posted just the lyrics and have to agree with Crashgates here that the lyrics lack a focus on a central point being made.

This is a scratch demo, of course. What's your plan for full production? This is a very high bar listing-- it's important to read listings carefully and between the lines to get a sense of how high the bar is. You would need a great song (music and lyrics), production, and vocal. The listing also says they are looking for artists, not just songs. It would seem to be you've got an incredible climb to make here and, while I hate discouraging you, I don't think THIS is the listing for you. MHO opinion is step back and focus on songwriting craft for a while, structure (verse/chorus, etc.), and lyric writing. Then maybe you can collab for production (unless you and your co-writer have some other way of getting productions done in mind). I think I read you are coming to the rally. That will be great for you as there are lots of classes on songwriting as well as production.

:D Casey

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:39 am, edited 10 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:52 pm

crashgates wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:14 pm
Casey H wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:51 am
I hate discouraging you
:D Casey
Sorry Casey, love your work, but I think this is one thing you excel at. I think?agree free is free but there is definitely a time and place to say no however
If you read what I wrote you will see that I was referring to this particular listing, not telling Pete not to pursue his music.
...while I hate discouraging you, I don't think THIS is the listing for you
Telling someone that a song they presented is a fit for a particular listing when it clearly isn't, would be disingenuous and certainly not helpful.

I also went on to suggest a path to success...
MHO opinion is step back and focus on songwriting craft for a while, structure (verse/chorus, etc.), and lyric writing. Then maybe you can collab for production (unless you and your co-writer have some other way of getting productions done in mind). I think I read you are coming to the rally. That will be great for you as there are lots of classes on songwriting as well as production.
If you know me at all, you'd know that I'd love to meet Pete and the rally, talk with him there and maybe phone or zoom, and see what help I could give him. I wouldn't call that discouraging him.

Casey

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:57 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:39 am, edited 42 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:44 pm

crashgates wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:57 pm
I wisssssssssssssssssh you the best with thats. I can say, just remember your responsible for your IT and I reasonable for my IT :roll: THE CHILD IS YOURS TO TRAIN OBEY KAr-NO-BUYI i GUESS HE CAN MAKE WHAT WORKS FOR HIM

LETS HOPE AT LEAST HE CAN MAKE IT BEbEEbEE-BEFORE 15 YEARS

tHESE ARE THE sTAINTS/SANTA mICKALS wwwwwwwORDS
Ah... Makes perfect sense. :lol:

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:56 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 am

crashgates wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:56 pm
I won't want to be giving my songs away in exchange for some undefined number of shekels in 12 to 36 months time.
You don't have to but it's a far more realistic path to music inome and those tracks are being heard by thousands , possibly millions of people on TV.

The chances of having a hit song are infinitesimally small and if you do it's usually down to a huge team of people with a massive marketing budget behind it. I actually know someone who's had a bunch of hit songs, and she was working on her craft from childhood, went through stage school, then auditions and finally made it into a girl group that got a lot of record company backing and worked with an established hit songwriter. It doesn't happen overnight and it takes a lot of talented people. I don't hear much of that talent in any music you've posted.

There are lots of highly talented singers & songwriters who never make it. Try reading David Ford's Book " I Chose This " for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Choose-This-Ne ... 1520440766

"There was a time when people swore I'd be the next big thing. It took ten years of hard work and dedication but I finally proved them all wrong."

Meanwhile I'll be in my studio writing more music for my libraries and throwing a few more shekels onto the slowly growing pile

Mark

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:13 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:40 am, edited 18 times in total.