HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Here is my trial at that:

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/warm/s-PehHd

- Evoked emotion?
- How is the overall production quality?
- How are the VIs?
- Does anything stick out, or is it "too grand"?
- Am I in the ballpark?

Tom

------------------
A RANGE OF HEARTWARMING INSTRUMENTALS is needed for several (up to) $3,000 NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Ad-Agency placements in a Digital/Online Commercial for a Major Retailer.
Please listen to the following references they gave us to get a feel for the style and vibe they need:

YOGA Tab 3 Pro Christmas Ad 2015 – Holiday Giving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpH4gUTVG4A

Glade 'The Greatest Gift' This is My Wish Extended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw3HfRMruC8

Traditions. A Publix Christmas story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBGPNMLYq3E

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that deliver the kind of "warm and fuzzy" emotional tone that would work well in the context of Commercial Advertising. Your instrumentation can vary from a simple, single acoustic guitar or piano to fuller productions (but don’t let things get too grand).
They are NOT specifically looking for a "Christmastime" vibe, but your Instrumentals should be able to work well in the background of a holiday commercial. The key word here is HEARTWARMING!
IMPORTANT NOTE: All submissions should be a minimum of 30 seconds long and no longer than 1 minute (including ring out and reverb tail). Short intros (or no intros) and Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are all recommendations for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
The estimated license fee for each placement is (up to) $3,000, depending on the ultimate placements. This request is for digital/online ads, hence the relatively low creative fee (when compared to a broadcast Commercial). Keep in mind, online ads that do well often migrate to broadcast or cable TV with additional fees paid when that happens!
This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Agency placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Copyright and Master Recording. You’ll also get 100% of the Master License Fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a screener that's been hand-picked by the Ad Agency. Short critiques only. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, November 28th, 2019. TAXI #Y191128HW
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

User avatar
lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Tasmania Australia
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by lesmac » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Not my ballpark but I think it's a great effort!

It is emotional. I wonder whether some legato basses instead of the staccato on the root note at some stage [about half or two thirds way through] might bring it home even more?

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 pm

lesmac wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm
Not my ballpark but I think it's a great effort!

It is emotional. I wonder whether some legato basses instead of the staccato on the root note at some stage [about half or two thirds way through] might bring it home even more?
Hey Les

Thanks for listening! I will try out your suggestion tomorrow. :)

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by MBantle » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:34 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:50 pm
Here is my trial at that:

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/warm/s-PehHd

- Evoked emotion?
- How is the overall production quality?
- How are the VIs?
- Does anything stick out, or is it "too grand"?
- Am I in the ballpark?

Tom

------------------
A RANGE OF HEARTWARMING INSTRUMENTALS is needed for several (up to) $3,000 NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Ad-Agency placements in a Digital/Online Commercial for a Major Retailer.
Please listen to the following references they gave us to get a feel for the style and vibe they need:

YOGA Tab 3 Pro Christmas Ad 2015 – Holiday Giving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpH4gUTVG4A

Glade 'The Greatest Gift' This is My Wish Extended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw3HfRMruC8

Traditions. A Publix Christmas story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBGPNMLYq3E

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that deliver the kind of "warm and fuzzy" emotional tone that would work well in the context of Commercial Advertising. Your instrumentation can vary from a simple, single acoustic guitar or piano to fuller productions (but don’t let things get too grand).
They are NOT specifically looking for a "Christmastime" vibe, but your Instrumentals should be able to work well in the background of a holiday commercial. The key word here is HEARTWARMING!
IMPORTANT NOTE: All submissions should be a minimum of 30 seconds long and no longer than 1 minute (including ring out and reverb tail). Short intros (or no intros) and Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are all recommendations for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
The estimated license fee for each placement is (up to) $3,000, depending on the ultimate placements. This request is for digital/online ads, hence the relatively low creative fee (when compared to a broadcast Commercial). Keep in mind, online ads that do well often migrate to broadcast or cable TV with additional fees paid when that happens!
This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Agency placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Copyright and Master Recording. You’ll also get 100% of the Master License Fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a screener that's been hand-picked by the Ad Agency. Short critiques only. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, November 28th, 2019. TAXI #Y191128HW
Hi Tom,
Listening to your track, I think it might be a little bit too busy for 'heartwarming'. When I read the listing I thought of movies like 'Love Actually' etc. and their soundtracks. So I would calm things down.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Matt

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:15 am

MBantle wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:34 pm
Hi Tom,
Listening to your track, I think it might be a little bit too busy for 'heartwarming'. When I read the listing I thought of movies like 'Love Actually' etc. and their soundtracks. So I would calm things down.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt

Yes, this helps a lot, and thanks for tuning in!

Your and Les's comment together indirectly confirm a concern that I had about the arpeggio. It being too busy might stem from the continuous loop of a fairly busy arp rhythm, which is then - to an extent - aggravated by the strings stabs. So, what I will try in the remaining two evenings before the deadline is a version where - at least in stretches - the harp arp is less busy and the stabs are longer notes. Maybe I can come up with something that works better and feels less busy that way.

Thanks again,
Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

User avatar
jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by jdkotaska » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey, Tom. Sounds good! I wonder how it would be if you just dropped the levels on the arpeggios. I think you might be in the ballpark here.

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm

jdkotaska wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Hey, Tom. Sounds good! I wonder how it would be if you just dropped the levels on the arpeggios. I think you might be in the ballpark here.
Hi Dean - thanks for listening and the suggestion! So, here we are:

New version with less stabs and less arp, i.e. quieter and in many places rhythmically simplified (hopefully not overdone):



Old version BUT with quieter arp:



Any thoughts are welcome. Maybe I just submit both of them to see what the screener thinks.

Tom
lesmac wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm
...
MBantle wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:34 pm
...
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

User avatar
jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by jdkotaska » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Dropping the arpeggio levels seemed to help. I might even suggest dropping them further.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by MBantle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:39 pm
jdkotaska wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Hey, Tom. Sounds good! I wonder how it would be if you just dropped the levels on the arpeggios. I think you might be in the ballpark here.
Hi Dean - thanks for listening and the suggestion! So, here we are:

New version with less stabs and less arp, i.e. quieter and in many places rhythmically simplified (hopefully not overdone):



Old version BUT with quieter arp:



Any thoughts are welcome. Maybe I just submit both of them to see what the screener thinks.

Tom
lesmac wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm
...
MBantle wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:34 pm
...
I think this is moving in the right direction and I like the new version better but I would - if I may - say that there is still a perhaps unnecessary amount of 'attack' on the sound of some of the instruments and that leads to the impression that you want to write an 'action movie cue' rather than something that feels 'heartwarming'. I would personally soften the attack of the sounds a bit and check that the transitions between instruments and sections also feel smooth (IMO you can still keep the liveliness and momentum of your composition, which I like!). Not sure how to describe it best but in your mix some of the elements come out with a lot of attack and when I listen to it I do not (yet!) get the rather peaceful feeling that the commercials referenced in the listing evoke. Not sure this helps. My five cents anyway...
Cheers,
Matt

User avatar
CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1995
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Gender: Male
Location: Nowitzki's place of birth
Contact:

Re: HEARTWARMING $3,000 INSTRUMENTAL

Post by CTWF » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:31 am

MBantle wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm
I think this is moving in the right direction and I like the new version better but I would - if I may - say that there is still a perhaps unnecessary amount of 'attack' on the sound of some of the instruments and that leads to the impression that you want to write an 'action movie cue' rather than something that feels 'heartwarming'. I would personally soften the attack of the sounds a bit and check that the transitions between instruments and sections also feel smooth (IMO you can still keep the liveliness and momentum of your composition, which I like!). Not sure how to describe it best but in your mix some of the elements come out with a lot of attack and when I listen to it I do not (yet!) get the rather peaceful feeling that the commercials referenced in the listing evoke. Not sure this helps. My five cents anyway...
Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt

Thanks for this comment!

I see/hear quite a few places that you most likely refer to, and I had been wondering about them too. Somehow I had an issue getting my two string VIs (Spitfire & Cakewalk Studio) get sound okay together without the larger attack on the Spitfire. I will look into this. Maybe I have to go into the volume envelope. The other thing is, originally (before posting anything) the harp had less attack too, maybe I reduce that again, but I understand that this is less about the arpeggio now.

Thanks again - one evening left... :)

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf Optimizing the beat... O|°_°|O

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests