Hello from new Taxi user

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

WayneScottBrown

Hello from new Taxi user

Post by WayneScottBrown » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:53 am

My name is Wayne, a singer/songwriter from Oxford, FL. I know nothing much at all about the sync licensing and I'm coming into this pretty blind. I write songs with lyrics and I perform them with whatever band I am in. I play guitar and sing. That's my experience. I have posted a few of my songs on my artist page and I have some self released stuff on the streaming services. Never made any money. Taxi was recommended to me by one of my few friends who is in the business. My artist profile is http://www.taxi.com/wayne_brown and the artist name is my band, The Damnselves. As in I keep having to learn everything my damn self.. I love lyrics... I have a lot of songs I can upload but I started with these 3 and I truly welcome any opinions and suggestions about ANYTHING.... I know nothing and I'm in a rut. Looking forward to meeting new people and ideas.

WayneScottBrown

Re: Hello from new Taxi user

Post by WayneScottBrown » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/tRKnrcVRSb ... damnselves

I'm curious if I figured out the link to my profile :-) I'm digging Taxi TV. Hearing some great stuff!!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:54 pm

WayneScottBrown wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 pm
https://www.taxi.com/members/tRKnrcVRSb ... damnselves

I'm curious if I figured out the link to my profile :-) I'm digging Taxi TV. Hearing some great stuff!!!
Welcome! Yup, it works. Enjoying your tunes. What you'll find is for sync it's very much about the recording itself ("broadcast quality") in addition to the songwriting. Lyrically, sync songs are more universal- no specifics like names, places, etc. Genre-wise, it generally is best to be as contemporary as possible for the given genre, though there are exceptions.

Good luck!
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:23 am

Welcome aboard Wayne

I only see two songs and listened to both of them, it's generally a better idea to write new material specifically for the Taxi listings rather than trying to shoehorn in something in that was written prior to becoming a member.

As Casey alluded to, the bar for production is higher than many are used to if you want to reach the " broadcast quality" required by almost every listing, so they can't sound like demos which is the vibe I get from the two songs at the moment.

Also I would recommend checking out Robin Frederick's book " Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film and TV " as the approach is somewhat different to writing songs for yourself. For example " Drunk in Dixie " could only ever be used in a scene set that specific location and the chances of that happening are tiny, so we avoid specific places and names to make our lyrics universal and much more likely to fit a wide variety of scenes and therefore more likely to land a placement.

Mark