Hello, New to all this, some questions

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

neilmd

Hello, New to all this, some questions

Post by neilmd » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:31 am

Hi all,

I've just signed up to Taxi. Loving the content so far. I am 52 from the UK. Not written any music for around 25 yrs for various reasons both personally and professionally, but have never stopped thinking about getting back into music in all that time. I am now at a time in my life where I can once again commit to doing music. I am not planning on being the next big thing, too old for that! But the opportunity to earn passive income through sync licensing etc appeals greatly to me. Whether I achieve anything of note in that regard time will tell, I am here for the journey instead of doing nothing and having regrets!

I do have some questions below

1. I've been interested in instrumental cues, however, is it best that I write full 3/4 min compositions and then when opportunities arise I rework (new arrangements etc) those compositions if they fit the brief? Or should I just compose such cues as and when an opportunity appears on the Taxi listing? I am interested to know your creative processes in that regard.
2. If I do compose full tracks, EPs, Albums, can I submit those directly as an artist to say Spotify, Soundclound, Bandcamp etc and then if opportunities arise still submit those to Taxi for consideration. I assume there would be an issue with exclusivity etc

I am keen to maximise my time and writing processes and to also make sure I don't fall foul of anything I should not be doing with regards to my second question.

I look forward to your comments

Many thanks
Neil

neilmd

Re: Hello, New to all this, some questions

Post by neilmd » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:15 pm

Thanks for clarifying Tom :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:33 pm

Yeah what Tom said.

Write to specific listings, build up your catalogue even if it's mostly made up of rejected material - a lot of my Taxi returns ended upe in LIbraries and some have been placed on TV, they were generally rejected for not being quite the right style rather than outright sucking ( some of them did suck though )so YMMV depending on where your production chops are Vs where the quality bar is.

Personally I don't " release " anything that I've made for sync , though I put some of my more notable placements on SoundCloud when I remember but it's a good idea to heed Toms comments - if you' just keep it purely for Sync use then there is never any grey area. Otherwise you can come unstuck if you're not careful.

If you want to see what results someone around your age also from the UK has had over the past 6 years, I have done an update here six-year-update-t148673.html

Mark

neilmd

Post by neilmd » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:46 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:33 pm
Yeah what Tom said.

Write to specific listings, build up your catalogue even if it's mostly made up of rejected material - a lot of my Taxi returns ended upe in LIbraries and some have been placed on TV, they were generally rejected for not being quite the right style rather than outright sucking ( some of them did suck though )so YMMV depending on where your production chops are Vs where the quality bar is.

Personally I don't " release " anything that I've made for sync , though I put some of my more notable placements on SoundCloud when I remember but it's a good idea to heed Toms comments - if you' just keep it purely for Sync use then there is never any grey area. Otherwise you can come unstuck if you're not careful.

If you want to see what results someone around your age also from the UK has had over the past 6 years, I have done an update here six-year-update-t148673.html

Mark
Many thanks Mark