hello you guys !!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: hello you guys !!!

Post by hummingbird » Thu May 18, 2006 5:29 am

Katie, I just thought I'd pop in here with some recording info....if you want to start out simple & FREE, I started out with free 16-track recording software that just allows live recording & has a few effects as well:http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/another one (compatible with Mac or Windows)http://audacity.sourceforge.net/Download one of these, plug your Mic/Instrument into the back of your computer at your soundcard and you are ready to start learning/recording. (you might have to get an adapter to plug your instrument/mic into your computer sound card, or if you feel you may be doing a good bit of recording, upgrade your soundcard to one that is suited for music recording.I use a M-Audio fasttrack mic preamp, comes in single or double plug; gets the audio into the computer.I moved up to Tracktion 2, which cost $90 US & has everything I need for the moment. (I would have been lost with CuBasis & ProTools doesn't work with my operating system)The Shure mics, SM 57(great instrument mic but a good starter vocal mic as well) is $90; SM58 is good too. Sampson also puts out a good $90 mic you can plug directly into your USB.In short, you can set yourself up to record your own work for less than $300.Welcome aboard!cheersMs 'Bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

katievogel

Post by katievogel » Thu May 18, 2006 11:21 am

Hi Vikki,thanks for the info, I'll bear it in mind next time I have $300 to spare, which wont be for a while yet lol cuz I just borrowed the money from Mum to join Taxi, gotta pay that back first.thanks for the welcome, and yes Vogel means bird in German first time I been reminded of that in ages,thanks againKatie

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sat May 20, 2006 11:38 am

Quote:Hi Vikki,thanks for the info, I'll bear it in mind next time I have $300 to spare,Hey Katie-Here's another free recording program that's getting rave reviews:http://www.cockos.com/reaperAs Vikki points out, you can get started recording for practically peanuts...much less than $300 if you look around for the free or cheap stuff.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

katievogel

Post by katievogel » Sat May 20, 2006 12:06 pm

thanks Andre, I'll check those programmes out, thanks for the pointerKatie