Help on POSITIVE, EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING INSTRUMENTAL CUES

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nachomoreno

Help on POSITIVE, EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by nachomoreno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:02 am

Hi! I want to submit a cue to a listing and I would very much appreciate any thoughts on my track from more experienced people. Thank you for your help :-).

the track: https://soundcloud.com/user-438196129/b ... ip/s-ozPaL

the listing:

POSITIVE, EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a really strong Music Library with tons of credits in big Feature Films, countless TV Shows, and plenty of TV Commercials! They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall within the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got directly from our client:

Believe 1

Believe 2

Believe 3

Quoting The Music Library: "We need Instrumentals that can be used for moments of belief. Your Instrumental Cues should be hopeful, positive and forward-going in various structural forms/build-ups.”

Please give them quality Instrumental Cues in the inspirational, uplifting style of the references above. Your submissions should have primarily organic-sounding instrumentation, with a believable and authentic-sounding performance. Having an “advertising-friendly” sound and vibe (the kind that would work well as background music in a variety of media) could help get this company excited about signing your Instrumental Cue!

You’ll notice with each example that there’s a continuous and subtle development during the arrangement; so be sure to structure your Cue around a central melodic idea, while layering instrumentation in and out as your Cue progresses to add dynamics, forward movement, and to keep it from getting repetitive.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please also refer to the examples in regard to how they are structured. It’s NOT verse – chorus – verse; it’s rather a theme that evolves as it progresses. Also, there are mostly no prominent leads or melodies; instead, it’s built in the chords and the arrangement by a clever combination of patterns. Broadcast Quality is needed.

All submissions should be approximately 2 minutes long. Good edit points (when possible) and Non-Faded Buttoned endings are preferred.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with any other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST), on Wednesday, December 19th, 2018. TAXI #Y181219EU

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help on POSITIVE, EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by ttully » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Nachomoreno,
Your submissions should have primarily organic-sounding instrumentation, with a believable and authentic-sounding performance. Having an “advertising-friendly” sound and vibe (the kind that would work well as background music in a variety of media) could help get this company excited about signing your Instrumental Cue!
While your track is quite beautiful....I'm not sure it fits the listing.

It's not quite as "advertising-friendly"as the examples.
The piano is a bit piercing at times.
And the strings sound a bit midi.
Also, I would end on the tonic....so the listener is not left hanging.

Around 1:12, I would say it starts to get into the right sound and mood for the listing....make it more like this!!!

And of course....it's my 2 cents worth,
Tim

nachomoreno

Post by nachomoreno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:23 am

Hi Tim!
Thanks for your comments, I will try to make some changes following your suggestions. You have been really helpful.

Best regards,
Nacho

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Hey Nacho....

Remember....this is just MY opinion!!!!
Someone else could say that I am completely wrong.

Tim

nachomoreno

Post by nachomoreno » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:19 am

Hi Tim, I agree with your point of view. Don't worry, it makes sense to me. Let us see if there are more people sharing their 2 cents.

Ignacio

MissVMcCarrison001

Post by MissVMcCarrison001 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 am

Love the music. Not sure it fits the brief. Find it is peaceful and yet the chords seems sombre, it is beautiful but I do not feel an uplifting vibe. I see a lake a full moon, the mood of the music seems reflective to me. However it is only my opinion.

MSteinmann

Post by MSteinmann » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:41 am

I agree - the melody is wonderful, but I find the mood rather mixed - somewhere between inspirational and mysterious. I think it's when the minor chords come in that it becomes a bit darker. I imagined it in a movie scene with beautiful landscapes but also melancholy aspects...

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I agree with what everyone is saying. Nice melody but overall it doesn't fit the brief Nacho.

DT

nachomoreno

Post by nachomoreno » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you MissVmcCarrison001, MSteinmann and mrdtman for your comments. You all coincide and it is funny because I deliberately chose the lydian mode trying to evoke a positive mood. So, It is maybe the chord progression, the melody or the instrumentation what makes it sound sombre or reflective, etc. So much to learn and experiment!

I have made some minor changes, but I am afraid not enough to call it uplifting, had no time to address the main problem

Happy Christmas!

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Nice sounds, but not the listing.
Get rid of the Eb dim7 and C#m. those chords are too somber. Go for mostly major chords with only passing minor chords and or inversions.
You have a backbeat for the whole thing, which is causing it to drag. Try introduce double time soon and get on to a fuller drum kit sound.
Try a contrast section in the middle. This will help keep the interest.
Listen to the aka's and compare them to your composition. You'll hear the differences.

Above all, don't stop. It does happen eventually. :D