Help on song writing ^^

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shadowrock

Help on song writing ^^

Post by shadowrock » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Ok well to start off ill tell you a bit about myself. Im currently in a band known as 'Shadow-Rock!' hence the username. In the band i take the role of the singer, not exactly a brilliant singer, but definately worth a listen. Anyway, a while ago i wanted to start making songs, but ive not really got into it until now, and i was hoping the good people of 'taxi' will help me to realise how to write songs. So anyway, i was hoping someone would be able to help me by giving me some tips. It would be very helpfull ^^. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.

shutts

Re: Help on song writing ^^

Post by shutts » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:47 am

Shadowrock,Its always seems easier when your doin something. well at least for me. Try to not listen to as much music and maybe when your walking down the street think of a melody in head and just free style. youll be surprised what will come out. if you have inspiration think about that and apply to what you want to sing or write. Alot of songwriters today use inspiration and instead of using cliches, try describing a feeling or situation in detail. these should help you or at least take you towards a path that you will figure out and make it work for you. Now maybe you could start with a simple structure. example:verse1 : chorus : verse2 : chorus : bridge : chorusif write in structure, it might be easier to put your words to the music that is created. that is if the music is structured. the melody you sing should be inspired from the music that is played.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:13 am

There are tons of articles about songwriting. Check out the ones on www.taxi.com and www.ascap.com.

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:30 pm

What's up ShadowRock,Develop your ear!!! I'm assuming that you play an instrument as well as sing. The most important thing is to learn as much as you can about music in general. For example, learn what a IV chord sounds like and where it leads. Start transcribing songs that you like. Figure out what the chord progressions are, then practice them in different keys. See what chord tones the melodies tend to land on. Some people might say that this will make you sound like a particular artist, but if you do this with a large variety of artists in different styles, you'll start to develop your own voice (style).Remember music is a language. The better you speak a language, the better you can communicate.HTHZ

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:54 pm

Read everything you can find about songwriting.Write even when you don't feel like it...And remember to eat.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:46 am

At least once a day...

cherokeesteve

Post by cherokeesteve » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:54 pm

One of the best investments I've made is in a small personal recorder. Take it everywhere with you and record everything that pops in your head. Inspiration comes at some of the most inopportune times so be ready for it. Hum melodies that come to you into it, record every title idea , phrase idea, and topic that pops in your head. Every idea, even the ones you decide later are total garbage, usually came to you for very good reasons. Maybe a word or two in a line you decide you hate give birth to another line that grows into one of the best songs you'll ever write. This is my advice, personal recorder. Good luck with your writing.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:59 am

Quote:One of the best investments I've made is in a small personal recorder. Take it everywhere with you and record everything that pops in your head. Inspiration comes at some of the most inopportune times so be ready for it. Hum melodies that come to you into it, record every title idea , phrase idea, and topic that pops in your head. Every idea, even the ones you decide later are total garbage, usually came to you for very good reasons. Maybe a word or two in a line you decide you hate give birth to another line that grows into one of the best songs you'll ever write. This is my advice, personal recorder. Good luck with your writing.Yes! All songwriters should do this! I'm mad at myself for having given up this habit and this is a good kick in the butt for me ... So many lyrics, song titles, themes for songs, etc have popped into my head while driving to work in the morning and gone to the creative graveyard... Years ago, I even did it with a pad and pen, writing stuff down while sitting at a light (Caution: Writing and driving at the same time may be injurious to your heath ...For some reason, most ideas pop into my head in the morning. Maybe there is something about our brain-cycles there... Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:58 am

If you don't have a little recorder, or left it at home, there's always the "Diane Warren technique" of calling your own answering machine or voicemail and recording your song ideas there. matto

gunter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gunter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:43 am

Quote:...Diane Warren technique...Got her number matto?