Help! Question about dispatch

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rocnathan
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Help! Question about dispatch

Post by rocnathan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi guys,I'm in a pickle here. Two recent dispatch listings (orchestral) are pretty much exactly what I want to be doing. The problem is - obviously - that there's precious little time in which to (properly) write the music required and the writing would get in the way of other listings that aren't as immediate or promising but have a better chance of being forwarded. NOW: Can anyone who's with Taxi long enough tell me ith what regularity these orchestral/film dispatch listings turn up? Because I haven't seen any of this type in the two months I've been here, and it might be a HUGE wasted opportunity if I let this pass by. On the other hand, if these listings are rather frequent or at least regular, I can tackle this obstacle at my own pace, as it were.I'm extremely thankful for any help in advance...roc
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help! Question about dispatch

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:06 am

Hi roc,I've been a member for just under a year and a half and from what I've seen with Dispatch listings is that they are all over the place. You might see another orchestral listing next week but you might not see another for six months or more.HTH-Steve

rocnathan
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rocnathan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks, Steve, that was pretty much what I was afraid of. For what it's worth, I kind of figured out a way to deal with this. Regards,roc
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Dispatch is unpredictable cause it's usually short term/last minute requests. However, orchestral/cinematic type listings show up pretty regularly in the normal Taxi listings.Well written and great (i.e. "real") sounding orchestral film-style music will find a home sooner or later, so you're definitely not wasting your time writing it, even if you don't finish in time for this particular listing.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 pm

The listings in question are looking for composers, not necessarily pieces. So if you have some really good stuff already, even if it's spoken for, you could submit it as a demo of your skills.HTH,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

rocnathan
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rocnathan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. I guess I'll just go ahead and submit, and, if worse comes to worst, I'll just have to quit my day job to be able to write all that music.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 am

Jan 31, 2009, 3:25am, rocnathan wrote:Thanks for the helpful answers, guys. I guess I'll just go ahead and submit, and, if worse comes to worst, I'll just have to quit my day job to be able to write all that music. Yeah, that would suck but somebody has to do it!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!