We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Help identify this genre plz

Post by themarkalanproject » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what genre would you say this is? I've been told EDM, Pop. Dance.. Techno.. Psychedelic? It's too slow BPM for most EDM submissions..

https://www.taxi.com/members/Er9Iix4ATp ... full-song-

Wondering if this actually might work for the Hyperpop Dispatch Submission? (Again BPM is concerning as it is barely mid at 95BPM )

TAXI # D240311HP

Appreciate any suggestions.

LISTING BELOW
----

Lots of HIGH ENERGY HYPERPOP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by an A-List Sync and Music Licensing Company for a Specific Pitch to a "Technology Company," presumably for a TV commercial (an educated guess on our part).

This Company is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general wheelhouse of the following references:

"kawabunga!" by SuperParka

"150% Purer Bliss" by BRAINFREEZE

"Paralyzed" by Senses

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch. Some non-lyrical vocals like "ahs," "woahs," etc., are okay to include – just don't overdo them!

Quoting The Client: "We are looking for some Hyperpop music for a technology company. The idea is to present Gen-Z Vibes such as upbeat, rhythmic, busy arrangement, etc."

Please submit Hyperpop Instrumentals with the type of hyped-up, energetic sound that captures the Gen-Z vibe! Production, composition, and arrangements should all be over-the-top in general, while still maintaining some level of commercial appeal. We know that some Hyperpop music is overtly distorted and smashed to oblivion with compressors and limiters, but please DON'T push the processing and production too far. Your Instrumentals should include elements like busy synths, grooving drums, synth bass, risers and drops, filtering FX, and plenty of creativity in general. Instrumentation that's in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references should work best.

TAXI Tip: Hyperpop is called Hyperpop for a reason! These tracks need to be high-energy, and feel like Pop music on steroids (or maybe Adderall, lol)!

Submissions should be between 2 to 4 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this opportunity. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you submit for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, March 11th, 2024. TAXI Dispatch # D240311HP
- the mark alan project

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Re: Help identify this genre plz

Post by AlonMarcus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:55 pm

I think it's in the synthpop area, even with a vintage taste to it, bit also has influences of Drum 'n Bass and bits of Trip Hop.
Hope that helps :)

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:59 pm

Very helpful. Thank you! Hopefully Synthpop or Trip Hop listing shows up. I just created what sounded good to me. Appreciate it!
- the mark alan project

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:15 pm

themarkalanproject wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:59 pm
I just created what sounded good to me.
A fun way to make music and explore as an artist but not the ideal approach for sync / Taxi.

You'll see it mentioned a lot that the succesful members and library composers write to the listings and they don't just follow their muse and hope it fits somewhere. Because chances are it won't and you'll get frustrated.

A good video on the subject here spcificalyl from a Taxi memebers POV: https://youtu.be/Enm-xGPlxBo?si=rdojIVC2pSadYnnB&t=544

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 pm

Yes, that is all very true. I will check out the video. but I’ve definitely learned that over the past two months. It’s a lot easier to have success composing within guidelines of the briefing. I now separate personal projects and composing for TAXI projects. This happens to be personal work of mine I created prior to joining. I just never knew the specific subgenre so I thought I would ask on here. Now I know to keep an eye out for synthpop or possibly trip hop. Thanks
- the mark alan project

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:05 pm

Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 pm
Now I know to keep an eye out for synthpop or possibly trip hop. Thanks
To be honest I think that's a bum steer as I don't agree it fits into either of those genres ( having done them both myself ). I'm not sure it really sounds like a typical sync cue at all ( which figures as you didn't write it to be one ). There's probably enough material contained within it for 2 or 3 cues as it's pretty busy with a lot of stuff going on in the mid-range. Typically you'd need to leave more space in a cue because most of the time someone is going to be talking over the top of it and the dialogue needs to be audible.

You can test this out just by finding a Youtube of people talking, and then try playing your track at the same time - Then see how much stuff you need to mute in your track to allow the speakers voice to poke through.

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm

I’m struggling to put “space” just to be clear you mean arrangement space, less busy with elements altogether correct? Only reason I am clarifying is cause one person on here meant space in the context of reverb and I was confused. I also am struggling to wrap my head around 3 act structure as I want to compose a few trailers. I get it has to build up and be less busy, but do I actually have areas with no instruments whatsoever? Sorry to ask so much, but you seem very knowledgeable. Appreciate any help as always.
- the mark alan project

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:27 am

Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm
I’m struggling to put “space” just to be clear you mean arrangement space, less busy with elements altogether correct? Only reason I am clarifying is cause one person on here meant space in the context of reverb and I was confused. I also am struggling to wrap my head around 3 act structure as I want to compose a few trailers. I get it has to build up and be less busy, but do I actually have areas with no instruments whatsoever? Sorry to ask so much, but you seem very knowledgeable. Appreciate any help as always.
Yes space as in arragement space - sparser instrumention - less going on the speech area of 3-5k

IN a 3 act trailer you might typically have Act 1 of some sound design ( booms, percussion , signals, benders etc ) and maybe some simple trailer piano notes ( revererb soaked softly played high notes ) , Act 2 you might bring in the orchestral parts of string ostinatos, smoe trailer drums , basses, stronger more obvious chords. Act 3 would be full on kitchen sink type stuff with the brass playing hard, full on orchestral drums , choirs , and full strings etc.

I'm sure there's some good tutorials out there you could watch. Trailer is highliy competitve though so you have to be really good and have great sound libraries. That said you can get trailer-eque tracks used on TV where the bar is lower. I've had some of those placed.

Mark