Hey I'm brand new

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cgibson

Re: Hey I'm brand new

Post by cgibson » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for the encouragement Alan! I really hesitated about joining as all I do is sing, play and write. I don't know anything on the production side what so ever. I love your medatative music it's beautiful!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:04 am

Welcome to the forum, the song is quite pretty - I think the main issues with this one is there are too many distracting guitar noises, fret squeaks etc. and a I hear a few tuning issues here and there which would need cleaning up or they may keep it from what is termed broadcast quality at Taxi.

Lyrically it's leaning towards Christian music and it's been said many times on Taxi TV there just aren't very many opportunities for that type of material so music libraries don't often want it in their catalogues. There is a recent video on The Sync Hole Youtube channel where they mention this issue. The Music CEO reviewing the songs here started out as a Taxi Member and now owns a library that signs lots of Taxi composers , and the 3 other guys are all successful Taxi members or ex members.

https://www.youtube.com/live/S6NQ_tQv8n ... lwn1oV5_Qk

Mark

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:34 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:04 am
The Sync Hole Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/live/S6NQ_tQv8n ... lwn1oV5_Qk
Another new (to me) resource! Great tip, as always!
cgibson wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:53 pm
Thank you so much for the encouragement Alan! I really hesitated about joining as all I do is sing, play and write. I don't know anything on the production side what so ever. I love your medatative music it's beautiful!
Don't thank me, it's a candid critique ;)

As you are aware, there are many technical/production boxes that need to be 'checked' before a track is considered to be broadcast quality. The Taxi forum is a great place to find out about and discuss these things. Many new members (myself included) are using Taxi to improve our technique. Peer-to-peer is a good place to get honest, and sometimes deeply in-depth, feedback on anything we wish to post. The screeners are great, and Taxi offers custom critiques - basically a one on one mentor session - for $20. I've used that resource twice, and feel good about the value. And as Mark intimates, there are youtube channels and vlogs and other resources besides Taxi that can help you develop your craft and technical skills.

cgibson

Post by cgibson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:32 am

Mark, I'm not sure what you mean by distracting guitar, and what's out of tune the guitars?
Lol I don't think that this is ready to submit to taxi as it's literally my very first demo ever. I'm working with a producer currently, but would eventually like to know how to do all that myself if I decide to go this route. I don't forsee submitting anything for quite some time. I signed up for this so I could go to the road rally and see what this is all about and if it is a good fit for me or not. I will definetly check out the you tube link you sent me. Thank you :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi Coral
I would say this song is in the folk genre. You already know it's not broadcast quality for listings at this point. One thing to consider though is that there isn't a lot of call for this style nowadays. You may want to branch out, listen to contemporary singer-songwriter, indie folk, and other genres and try to write in those styles. If you're already doing this, please ignore.

Nice "meeting" you! Are you coming to the road rally?

Best,
:D Casey

cgibson

Post by cgibson » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:06 am

Thanks Casey! I was thinking it might be one the side of folk or spiritual which I guess is called Christian. That is some good advice :)

cgibson

Post by cgibson » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:06 am

Yes, I am going to the road rally and I cannot wait!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:27 pm

cgibson wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:06 am
Thanks Casey! I was thinking it might be one the side of folk or spiritual which I guess is called Christian. That is some good advice :)
There are opps in the Contemporary Christian genre but I don't know a lot about the style. Others can help here. :mrgreen:

Look me up at the rally! I expect to be teaching a Drivers Ed class.

Best,
:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:24 pm

cgibson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:32 am
I'm not sure what you mean by distracting guitar, and what's out of tune the guitars?
For me, the electric guitar is distracting because its as loud or louder than the vocal, so it takes attention away from the vocal. It also sounds like its slightly out of tune, but that might be the chorus effect.

As you're new to this you might think folk are being extra-picky about such things, and I'm sorry if it's a bit of a harsh reality check, but
we know what it takes to get music past expert screeners, into music libraries owned by musicians/composers, and chosen for TV broadcast by experienced music supervisors and editors. The bar is pretty high these days, but don't let that put you off. If you can come up with music that is a good fit for the Taxi listings and is broadcast quality (if you're not sure exactly what that means search that term on these forums or on Taxi TV on Youtube) then you can get over that bar. Good luck :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cgibson

Post by cgibson » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:09 am

I dont' see this as harsh, I'm so grateful I put this on here! It's the first song recorded and I was over the moon excited when I heard it. However, with these observations you guys have given me I have some ideas for changing it. I'm actually going to the studio tomorrow. I'm going to ask him to hear how is sounds without the electric guitar he added, and maybe not doubling the vocals on the chorus and bridge. I'm going to sing a lower harmony instead of having the chorus doubled and possibly the bridge. I might like that better, and also when the song came to me I first heard the chrous and the guitar very clearly. The chorus I sung lower, because I am a high soprano I changed it, but that lower harmony might sound nice with it. I'm thinking out loud lol! Again thanks everyone for the honesty this is why I wanted to put it on here!