Hi guys, I'm tired.............

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lopc
Impressive
Impressive

Hi guys, I'm tired.............

Post by lopc » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi guys, I'm tired. Tired of trying to keep looking ahead and penning the new stuff while ignoring the old. I can't ignore the old. I seem to spend more time and energy attempting to rewrite the ones that came before (that I am sure have a chance at greatness) than moving on to create new work with the knowledge I've gained recently. I can't turn my back on the previous works that, at the time, gave me strength to continue. Maybe because I set the high bar path and I refuse to settle for less, maybe because I'm just stubborn that way. Don't know. Don't really care. I have a day job and don't have to rely on any songwriting talent I may possess to get me through. Doesn't make me any less than one of you. Doesn't make me any more than one of you. Just makes me tired sometimes. Tired because this is what I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. Oh well, life's a bitch when you let your youthful dreams slip away.What's the point? Point is, I'm tired of slicing up previous works to make them be all they can be. Some songs you write you just can't seem to take the knife to, and it would be an injustice to let them fade into obscurity. Toward that end, I need you guys to wield the blade and chop one up for me. I need a minute and change to go away, and still maintain the integrity of the work.Any of you that can pull it off and still make me love it, you get 50% cowrite collaboration rights. The song is a duet "BLAME IT ON THE MOONLIGHT" and the link follows. http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.asp?epk_id=99671

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hi guys, I'm tired.............

Post by andreh » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi lopc-Two thoughts:1. One of the most important skills you can develop as a songwriter is the ability to follow through on a project. Not only will this help you complete the songs you need to market, but it will help you follow through with your marketing plans as well. 2. If your older songs truly are that great, then you certainly owe it to yourself (and to the world) to finish them. On the other hand, don't be afraid to "cut your losses" if some half-baked, going-nowhere song ideas are weighing you down. There's always another song to write, especially if your skills are more advanced than they used to be.FWIW,AndréQuote:Hi guys, I'm tired. Tired of trying to keep looking ahead and penning the new stuff while ignoring the old. I can't ignore the old. I seem to spend more time and energy attempting to rewrite the ones that came before (that I am sure have a chance at greatness) than moving on to create new work with the knowledge I've gained recently. I can't turn my back on the previous works that, at the time, gave me strength to continue. Maybe because I set the high bar path and I refuse to settle for less, maybe because I'm just stubborn that way. Don't know. Don't really care. I have a day job and don't have to rely on any songwriting talent I may possess to get me through. Doesn't make me any less than one of you. Doesn't make me any more than one of you. Just makes me tired sometimes. Tired because this is what I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. Oh well, life's a bitch when you let your youthful dreams slip away.What's the point? Point is, I'm tired of slicing up previous works to make them be all they can be. Some songs you write you just can't seem to take the knife to, and it would be an injustice to let them fade into obscurity. Toward that end, I need you guys to wield the blade and chop one up for me. I need a minute and change to go away, and still maintain the integrity of the work.Any of you that can pull it off and still make me love it, you get 50% cowrite collaboration rights. The song is a duet "BLAME IT ON THE MOONLIGHT" and the link follows. http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.asp?epk_id=99671
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

dgolding
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dgolding » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 pm

I don't think what you're feeling is all that uncommon to be honest, I'll be many of us has had similar feelings at least at some stage of our lives/careers.Maybe it's one of the things that defines us as composers. You know, shattered dreams, the feeling that we have something musically to say, but nobody hears it.I've felt all my life that I was going to be someone in the music business. Mind you, I've been convinced I was going to win the lottery too, so I'm no point of reference.You could say that us Taxi-ites arn't writing for ourselves anymore, that we're writing to meet other people's wishes. On the face of it, thats true. But when you hear what people are submitting for the same listing, you can't help but hear the diversity. We are writing for ourselves. We each put our own signature on every song. Another consideration is that not all listings are looking for modern material. In the last few months, we've seen requirements for music from just about every decade.The reason this subject is on my mind, is that a writing partner of mine is having much the same thoughts as you are.My advice is, don't beat yourself up trying to modernise your songs. If you're happy with them, hang on to them until a suitable listing pops up. In the meantime, write some new stuff. Sure, we all have to diversify, and that's not a bad thing, but maybe 'stick to what you're good at' is just as just as important.
It's a fine line between a thick soup and stew.

lucas
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by lucas » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Just a thought Barney...When I get into this mode, and I have been there quite often, I change my work environment (rearrange the room) and I close all the books and try writing something completely new. I even go as far as writing on a totally different instrument.Beatles, eh? I think we were spoiled, privileged by having been born to witness the development you speak of in your Bio. Music as we know it, was invented then.. Hehehe.. OK so this is a totally biased me speaking.. because there is a lot of nostalgic baggage packed into that last statement.Bear up and start at Middle C Lucas

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Barney,Not sure if it's the "duet" idea, the melody in places, the vocal in places or all ! but this song (if it had a big rock backing) reminds me a little of Meatloaf. Not sure if you wanted general/subjective feedback like that but it's just what came to mind.I'm not entirely sure what you're looking to change in the song but maybe the forum folks can bounce some ideas around that'll inspire you/enable you to finish the song and keep 100%. Sometimes it just takes a nudge I think to get the ball rolling again.Good luck,Rachel

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 am

I have these same thoughts on a daily basis. I have so many songs that have never quite been finalized, have never been recorded, have so much potential. Like andreh says, I think it's important to learn how to follow through and finish a project, but it's also equally important to know when to call something done and move on. Lately, I've been trying to find a balance among four different things with my music: finishing old songs, writing new ones, recording (and the ongoing challenge of learning to record better), and performing/sharing. It's a hard thing to do when there are only so many hours in the day and I spend most of them at my day job, but it's definitely a worthy goal.The other thing I try and keep in mind is that I've been pursuing this, in one form or another, for all my life because I enjoy it. It's my passion. Sometimes, I get so caught up in the goals and looking at mile markers to see how far I've progressed, that I need to remind myself the process is just as important to my well-being, my meaning, as the anything else. Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can relate. Best wishes. --Tim

lopc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lopc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:25 am

Andre, I think you make a valid point. As songwriters, we constantly have to challenge ourselves to define “great” before giving others the opportunity.. Longevity in the trade erases self bias. If one can’t understand this, one ain’t gonna make it. Maybe I was looking for someone to not really collaborate the work. Perhaps I was looking for someone to say “Let it go and move on, greatness is ahead, not behind you.” I think perhaps you said just that in your 2. above. Thanks.David, your picture is one of wisdom. Your words are also. Know what? (Heavy sigh).......You are right. No point in beating ourselves up when we have so many others chomping at the bit to do it. Time to put the past to rest and move on. Heck, I’m writing better stuff now than ever. Thanks. Lucas, you are right on. Time to start at Middle C and leave the diminished behind for now. We were a part of greatness developing years ago in this business and we can be a part of it now. Thanks, my brother. Rachel, I think you guys gave me the nudge I so desperately needed. A nudge forward. Can’t thank you all enough for your support. Thanks.Tim, your comments are right on also. I love shooting craps, and what we do is kinda like that. We look for the sevens on the come out and when that doesn’t happen, we curse them to hell and pray they won’t rear their ugly heads until the point is made. Thanks.Thank you all for some really helpful comments. God Bless.

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:57 am

...it's a bloody good song!

momof4
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by momof4 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Okay, so don't know if you're really looking for advice on this, but if you really are:IMO, you've got too many "ight" rhymes...it's almost overwhelming. If you want the hook to be "blame it on the moonlight", then you need to change your rhyme scheme throughout the verses so that the hook can really pack it's punch and not seem watered down. To me, because of all the "ights" in the verses, by the time you get to the chorus, it seems like I've already heard it, even though I haven't. Secondly, maybe I'm missing it, but why is the moon to blame? If it made you wax romantic, that's one thing, but you're saying it's to blame for you being a jerk...so...I don't get it. Thirdly, there are a whole lot of cliches in here (i.e. "swallow my pride", "heart on my sleeve", "see eye to eye", etc.) . NOW, PLEASE DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! You can make this better! The melody is good, and I like that it's a duet. If you've got it in you (and you do), sit down with these lyrics and make them better! Don't give up!

stevev

Post by stevev » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Barney,Been there, done that, still doing that. Personally, I wouldn't change that much. You've got good stuff! While I think it's a good idea to look for input from our peers, I also think it's a slippery slope when we start doubting our abilities. It's apparent you can write. So, don't sweat it. Some folks with less talent will have more happen for them and some with more talent will have nothing happen. The thing that keeps me going (besides the day job) is the thought that if I keep plugging away, something good will happen. I have to keep that thought. I'm not getting any younger and I get tired as well. It's not easy to keep running into walls - but each time you run into one, a little dust falls off and that's progress.Steve V