Hi! I'm a new member and I'd like to introduce myself

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PetePrice

Re: Hi! I'm a new member and I'd like to introduce myself

Post by PetePrice » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:43 am

I got my first song returned (Diamonds in the Sky for listing S220614PW) I thought the message was right on target but that was not what the reviewer thought. I’m not complaining. It’s good to have gone through the process and to get another perspective. -All part of paying tuition!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:52 am

PetePrice wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:43 am
I got my first song returned (Diamonds in the Sky for listing S220614PW) I thought the message was right on target but that was not what the reviewer thought. I’m not complaining. It’s good to have gone through the process and to get another perspective. -All part of paying tuition!
If you post the listing, the song and the feedback I'm sure you'll get further useful opinions

PetePrice

Post by PetePrice » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 pm

Cosmicdolphin and anyone else who wants to opine-

Here is the critique and here is the song.

"Dear Peter,

Your critique(s) for listing # S220614PW are now available for viewing.
Just click here to check it out!"

https://www.taxi.com/my/submissions/20290421/critique

https://peteprice1.bandcamp.com/track/d ... in-the-sky

Looking back over the listing, it seems like I checked several of the boxes but certainly not all with the lyrics. They asked for " I got it, Power, Belief, Faith in humanity, Change, Hardships, Overcoming, Dependable, Responsible, Luck, Being Lucky, First time, Last time." To me, my lyrics hit on several of the themes but I like to write using imagery so maybe it wasn't apparent to the reviewer. In going over the lyrics with that in mind, I found two word changes which work rhythmically and will make the lyrics stronger and the song better. A pretty good deal for only $5-!

My intention in writing this song was trying to describe my life when I was always following my "inner critic" and worrying about what people thought about me and letting that affect my actions. Once I started just doing my best in the present moment and ignoring the critics...inner and otherwise, I became more able to achieve what I dreamed of doing. I don't always succeed but I try to give my best.

Thank you to anyone who wants to help guide me towards becoming a better songwriter! I may not have gotten this song forwarded but there will be other opportunites, I hope!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Hey Peter I think the critique link won't work for others ( it may work for you as you would be logged in to your own account ) , so I wasn't able to read it.

I think there is a way to share them or you could just paste the comments into your next message.

It would also really help if you posted a copy of the listing in future as it's very contextual and the references need to be listened to before making any comments. I have actually managed to find that listing in the archive so I will put it below:-

UPLIFTING, EMPOWERING SONGS in ALL GENRES with Male or Female Vocals are needed by an extremely active Music Licensing Company with a very successful track record of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials.

This Company is searching for Songs in All Tempos with Uplifting, Empowering Lyrics in most of the popular/commercially viable genres, including (but not limited to) Pop, Country, Rock, EDM, Singer-Songwriter, Folk, R&B/Soul, Rap/Hip-Hop, etc. We recommend avoiding submitting anything in genres that don't have a lot of mainstream appeal.

Since this is a wide-ranging, lyric-based request, we are not including references as we felt they could potentially be more misleading or limiting, than helpful.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: This Company is searching for Songs with Lyrics centered around the following topics: I got it, Power, Belief, Faith in humanity, Change, Hardships, Overcoming, Dependable, Responsible, Luck, Being Lucky, First time, Last time.

Please submit well-composed, current-sounding Songs with lyrics centered around the themes outlined above that could work well for Film, TV, and/or Advertising. Memorable melodies, unforgettable hooks, well-crafted lyrics, and solid arrangements that are generally competitive with top Songs in your given genre are all required for this pitch. Compelling, well-performed vocals that exude confidence are a must, as well. Your production should be polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and fresh.

TAXI Tip: Songs with simple, yet impactful and universally-relatable lyrics will likely work best for this request.

Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity are recommended. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: Do NOT submit any tracks with spoken producer tags/watermarks as they're not usable for film and TV placements.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. This Music Licensing Company splits ALL sync fees 50/50 with you. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please do not send material for this pitch that has already been signed to other libraries or catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday June 14th, 2022. TAXI # S220614PW

Oh and thanks for the coffee , much appreciated !

Mark

PetePrice

Post by PetePrice » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:20 pm

Cosmic Dolphin-

Here's a link I noticed to share the critique...maybe this will work;

https://www.taxi.com/members/a1aKWN08RO ... Xy-rRn8qyQ

Otherwise, Here's the critique copied and pasted:

Feedback for "Diamonds in the Sky"
S220614PW
Share Your Feedback
What I like most about this song
I appreciate the vocal effort and dig the creativity.

I think you could improve this song by
Chorus lyrics and general mood could ring more uplifting to appeal to this specific request. I could hear a more empowering message overall for this request.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Lyrics and mood off target.

Additional things I noticed...
(The comments below are just helpful suggestions and NOT necessarily the reason this music was forwarded or returned. Look at the top, right-hand dialog box that says, “I returned or forward this submission because” to see the reason for the Forward or Return.)

Style
Style/Genre is off target with the listing request X Mood is off target with the listing request Tempo is not within requested range Song length doesn't match listing request Not contemporary as requested
Composition
Intro is too long Melody could be stronger Chorus doesn't stand out enough Lyrics not universal Lyrics off target for this request Hook(s) requested in Listing not present
Performance
Vocals are pitchy Vocal performance off target for the listing Instrumentation feels stiff or over-quantized There are tuning issues There are rhythm issues There are dissonance issues
Recording and Production
Song instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality Recording/Mix needs improvement Not Broadcast Quality in context of this listing
Forward
Return
Recommended Reading
TAXI’s Music Industry & Production Glossary:
https://www.taxi.com/music-industry-glossary/

Listener ID: 374

You probably know this but the only item that was checked as far as Style, Composition, Performance, and Recording and Production was "Mood is off target with the listing request"....everything else seemed ok.

And you're quite welcome for the coffee!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:34 pm

So Pete - I see now there are no reference tracks which is unusual.

The main things I'm picking up on from the listing :

UPLIFTING & EMPOWERING

Pop, Country, Rock, EDM, Singer-Songwriter, Folk, R&B/Soul, Rap/Hip-Hop

Current-sounding Songs

I've had a couple of listens to Diamonds In The Sky , and I don't think it really nails the brief in a couple of aspects. Firstly it's not current sounding enough , there's an 80s/90s feel running through the whole thing, partly it's the arrangement but a lot of it is to do with the writing style. Songs have changed since this style was in vogue , it's a shame there were no reference tracks but I think you'll have to get your head into some modern playlists so it starts seeping into your work.

If I had to pick a recent song to fit the brief something like Bad Life by Sigrid springs to mind ( I wonder if the screeners would forward it :lol: ) https://youtu.be/o4552tadeuM

The second area is lyrically I don't get much emotion from it - You never really tell the listener how you feel. Imagary can be important in songwriting but in sync they have visuals that proivde the setting , our job is to support the story and not tell it. It's a different skillset to be able to write universal lyrics. Although the Sigrid song waan't written for sync the lyrics are pretty universal ( except maybe the teeth brushing line ) but the chorus could be used in many scenes where the character is going through hard times but better things are ahead.

When the world is on your shoulders
And the weight of your own heart is too much to bear
Well, I know that you're afraid things will always be this way
It's just a bad day, not a bad life

Hope that helps, hopefully it somewhat lines up with the Screener feedback :shock:

Mark

PetePrice

Post by PetePrice » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Mark-

Yes, I think that makes sense. I need to do the research so I can get my head into what current sounding music is. This could be a bridge too far but I'm building a playlist of current songs I like and feel that I could possibly emulate. It might take awhile!

I appreciate your time and wish you continued success!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:50 pm

PetePrice wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:48 pm
Mark-

Yes, I think that makes sense. I need to do the research so I can get my head into what current sounding music is. This could be a bridge too far but I'm building a playlist of current songs I like and feel that I could possibly emulate. It might take awhile!

I appreciate your time and wish you continued success!
It's easier to do instrumentals , there's no lyrics or vocal to worry about and they are faster to make but the same thing applies, that they almost always want contemporary sounding music.

PetePrice

Post by PetePrice » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Mark or any of you seasoned veterans-

If you would do me a favor, could you please check this listing and give me your opinion as to whether this song sounds "current" and fits the mood enough?

My song is: https://peteprice1.bandcamp.com/track/o ... es-and-you

I'd like to possibly submit it for this listing. https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S220803UR

I'd be happy to buy you coffee.

Thanks,

Pete

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:19 pm

PetePrice wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:29 pm
Mark or any of you seasoned veterans-

If you would do me a favor, could you please check this listing and give me your opinion as to whether this song sounds "current" and fits the mood enough?

My song is: https://peteprice1.bandcamp.com/track/o ... es-and-you

I'd like to possibly submit it for this listing. https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S220803UR

I'd be happy to buy you coffee.

Thanks,

Pete
Hey Pete

Country is not really my wheelhouse so hopefully someone more au fait with the genre will chime in too. I like your song, it's well done although I'd hesitate to call it contemprorary country.

I could imagine it working for something else, but it doesn't fit this listing request for me. They seem to be looking for the next hit record for an artist and I don't hear this as a chart single. It's more like something you might hear on an album. The listing states:-

"Your submissions should have super memorable choruses, hooky melodies" ...not getting that vibe here I'm afraid. ( I've pasted the Listing below for others as it's more permanent than a link )

Writing hit songs in any genre is a rare talent , if that's a path you want to take I'd reccommend reading the songwriting books of Robin Frederick and seeking out her appearances on Taxi TV. One of the most valuable pieces of advice you'll see around if you read the forums for long enough is " Write to the listings " and I think that holds true here as well, if you try to put square pegs into tound holes, even if they are well made pegs they're not gonna fit.

Hope that helps !

( PS - save the submission and coffee money to put towards one of the the books )

Mark

--------------------------------------------------

CHART-WORTHY COUNTRY SONGS with Male Vocals are needed by a great Music Row Publisher for an Award Winning Artist working on upcoming releases.

This Publisher is on the hunt for hit-worthy Songs in All Tempos that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Lady" by Brett Young

"Fill Them Boots" by Chris Lane

"Steady Heart" by Kameron Marlowe

Please submit top-notch Country Songs that could take this artist back to the top of the Country music charts! He's had a lot of success, and looks like he's locked and loaded for a lot more! He has been produced by Dan Huff. It doesn't get much better than that!! Your submissions should have super memorable choruses, hooky melodies, well-crafted lyrics with a fresh perspective, and plenty of mainstream appeal. Instrumentation that's generally similar to the style of the references will suit your submissions best. Please be sure your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.

TAXI Tip: Vocals can often be the thing that makes or breaks a Song pitch. Make sure that the vocals on your Songs are well-performed, compelling, and brimming with Country charm if you want to get this Artist and the Label excited about your tracks!

Stripped-down demos and full productions are both okay to submit, as long as your Songs are great and your recordings are clean, clear, and well-balanced! Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe.

NOTEWORTHY: If time permits, someone from the Publisher's staff (who has been trained as a TAXI screener) will screen for this request. That means that somebody who is directly involved in this request could be "ears-on" with your submissions.

The specific deal points will be negotiated on a Song-by-Song basis directly with the Publisher. Please submit as many Songs as you like, online or per CD, and PLEASE include lyrics! Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2022. TAXI # S220803UR