hi. i'm new here! wanna hear a song?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gschmitt

hi. i'm new here! wanna hear a song?

Post by gschmitt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 am

i've been floating around this forum for a while, wondering about a lot of things (not the least of which being, "should i just go study law?" ) i'm officially hitting the streets and posting one of my songs for review here in the TAXI forum. my site is www.soundclick.com/gschmittjust hit [music] and check out the song "basta" - it's the last one listed. i would love to see how it holds up. i suspect, though, it may be too "personal" for commercial success.i don't know if this holds any water here since TAXI is more about song quality than performance ability of any individual, but every instrument on every single one of those recordings is performed and recorded by myself - no MIDI/no samples. i'd love some feedback. thanks ps- the lyrics are on the site under a link in the song play list.

mairi

Re: hi. i'm new here! wanna hear a song?

Post by mairi » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:34 am

I really like the feel on your song. Your voice is great - gritty honesty! I would only say that the lyrics are quite complex and I thought the idea of the song could have been distilled still further into fewer words! That may be a really annoying thing to say, sorry. Guitar is beautiful - all the instruments are strong. Chorus is a great hook when you go up at the start , in the melody,Nice one,Mairi

gschmitt

Post by gschmitt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:42 am

mairi - No. thank you; there's NOTHING annoying about what you said. you're probably very right in your complexity comment. i tend to get tangled up in words at times. some people dig it, but i know it may be a bit too much for what TAXI's about. from that perspective, i should revisit quite a few of my tunes! thanksps - thanks for the voice comment. i'm super self-conscious about it still! (i'm still waiting to grow out of that!)

dada
Active
Active

Post by dada » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 pm

Gschmitt,Listened to a few of your tracks... Good sounding recordings overall.. Kind of a Dave Matthews flair in some instances... I know you mentioned the one song was sort of personal to you, but I thought it had a commercial flow about it... Maybe a tad bit wandering and not enough repetition for the average toe tapper, but pretty close...Thanks for sharing your work...DaveThe Davewavehttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=189280

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Nice stuff!

gschmitt

Post by gschmitt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 am

wow. thank you guys. i was expecting a lot worse. i think i'm really out of touch with what is wanted in the industry and i don't want to 'pigeon-hole' myself into writing for commercial success. i guess that's all of our struggles though, huh?

sounddesign3

Post by sounddesign3 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Great song! Kinda John Nayer I like it. But had to stop and listen to it closely, I may be wrong but it sounds to me that there is a guitar, or even bass guitar that is out of tune.

gtrfnatk

Post by gtrfnatk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Really like the song, great voice. I also thought of Dave Matthews when hearing you. The song has an easy relaxing feel to it.

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:28 pm

gschmitt,Nice piece of music. From lyric to arrangement and the Latin undercurrent carries " Basta " beautifully. Also, you understand your voice and you use it wisely. Well done!The fact that you play all your instruments is great, but it could get annoying if it's the first thing to follow " hello my name is gschmitt and i play ... " People like to stumble upon those facts rather then have them announced with every handshake. Aside, or inspite of that small flaw, I think you're a talented artist... your teachers believed in you, and before them, your friends and family thought you were the next big thing. So, create, relax and let the world beat you senseless, then write about it with a simple hook.Look forward to your CD release,RanG

gschmitt

Post by gschmitt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:57 am

Quote:gschmitt,The fact that you play all your instruments is great, but it could get annoying if it's the first thing to follow " hello my name is gschmitt and i play ... " People like to stumble upon those facts rather then have them announced with every handshake. holy crap!in all honesty, i can tell you that has never occured to me.....and you're totally right. it's braggy. i'm going to re-visit my bio with that in mind. thank you. and thank you for the kind words