Hi, is this chill hop?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DJackson

Hi, is this chill hop?

Post by DJackson » Sat May 01, 2021 7:04 am

This seems a little more energetic than the reference tracks. I’m familiar with the chill-hop/lofi genre. I’m just curious as to whether y’all think this fits the listing.

Listing:
https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S210510CH

Track:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0iV ... ayU7oQ#PSB

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Re: Hi, is this chill hop?

Post by philipmojbro » Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 am

Hi!

First off — I’m totally not qualified. So take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I really do like the vibe of the track. It’s definitely “chill”. Two things stand out to me as not really “hop” though.

First thing is the slide guitar. I think it has a very cool vibe and I really like it but perhaps it associates a little too much with country to my ears. I’d look for another riff with similar effects but playing a more of a jazzy riff on an electric guitar.

The second thing to me is the drum sound which doesn’t really sound like hip hop. The hi hat and the snare are ok but the kick isn’t really to my ears. Listen to some reference tracks and search for similar samples on Splice. Perhaps find an old break beat loop to sample.

Overall though I really like the track. And again take whatever I said with a grain of salt. Keep going.

Philip

DJackson

Re: Hi, is this chill hop?

Post by DJackson » Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am

philipmojbro wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 am
Hi!

First off — I’m totally not qualified. So take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I really do like the vibe of the track. It’s definitely “chill”. Two things stand out to me as not really “hop” though.

First thing is the slide guitar. I think it has a very cool vibe and I really like it but perhaps it associates a little too much with country to my ears. I’d look for another riff with similar effects but playing a more of a jazzy riff on an electric guitar.

The second thing to me is the drum sound which doesn’t really sound like hip hop. The hi hat and the snare are ok but the kick isn’t really to my ears. Listen to some reference tracks and search for similar samples on Splice. Perhaps find an old break beat loop to sample.

Overall though I really like the track. And again take whatever I said with a grain of salt. Keep going.

Philip
Great feedback. I really appreciate and agree with you. This is more of an outsider lofi beat- definitely not consistent with the references.
I’ll prob keep this beat as is and not submit it. Chill hop
Is fun to make so I’ll start over.