Feedback Request: Hip Hop Dramedy

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback Request: Hip Hop Dramedy

Post by mteezykeys » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:28 am

Hey guys, I've never had any of my hip hop tracks forwarded through Taxi. Usually they say my samples are dated/low quality and/or my tracks are too repetitive.

Seeking feedback on the following tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/mteezykeys/drama-at-the-trap
https://soundcloud.com/mteezykeys/mischief-mouse

HIP-HOP DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with a great track record of placements!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as Dispatch Listing #D220803HH, but the Company is looking for more material, and they asked us to try again. If you submitted to listing #D220803HH, please send different material this time around.

This Library is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

Keeping Up With The Kardashians (from 1:26 - 1:52) https://youtu.be/KEB_-KJ1_MY?t=85
Vanderpump Rules (from 4:21 - 5:00) https://youtu.be/TE1n9deHFKk?t=262
"Cat Got Your Tongue" by Matthew Vander Boegh https://youtu.be/BK17d_Amws4

Please submit well-produced Hip-Hop Dramedy Instrumentals (or Cues) that could work well in various TV, Film, and other media placements. Your submissions should have memorable motifs, slick beats, and plenty of dynamics, layers, interest, and forward motion. Instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. This Library is NOT after standard Pizzicato Dramedy, so please think outside the box with this request! Changing up the cadence, beats, instrumentation, etc., can help give your pieces an added edge. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Last edited by mteezykeys on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Hip Hop Dramedy

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:14 pm

The ref links are just text, and there's no way of finding the first one from the description, but I found the 2nd one. To encourage people to help you I would suggest copying the links.

'Cat Got Your Tongue' is a quite a cheeky/fun sounding track with a heavy swing and a lot of old-style hip hop ear candy going on, and although its got some repetition it varies enough to keep you listening. Marimba but no piano.

'Drama At The Trap' also has a sort of cheeky vibe, so that's good (although without the heavy swing it has a little less character). The instrumentation is broadly similar (apart from the piano), so maybe that's ok. There's none of the ear candy, and by about 40s I was sensing the '2-bar then add another layer' formula, although it pulls that back a little later. I note that Note that the listing says "Changing up the cadence, beats, instrumentation, etc., can help give your pieces an added edge", and I think that's where there's potential to get a little more mileage from your track.

'Mischief Mouse' prompted similar feelings from me (2 bar grid, piano, no swing). There's a bit more interest in the variations, although it seems to meander a bit without concluding. Perhaps a stronger final section that echoes the earlier part of the track and a more structured ending to go with it would help this one.

I think your tracks are both good, but there's always something else you might do to improve the chances of a forward. I hope my comments help in some way, but see what others say - you'll probably get some more constructive thoughts from the real hip hop guys (and you should take far more notice of them rather than me). Good luck :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Hip Hop Dramedy

Post by mteezykeys » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:14 pm
The ref links are just text, and there's no way of finding the first one from the description, but I found the 2nd one. To encourage people to help you I would suggest copying the links.
Thanks for the advice. I updated the links for the reference tracks on my original post. The other two tracks were more sparse than the 3rd ref track.

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Re: Feedback Request: Hip Hop Dramedy

Post by AlonMarcus » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:56 am

On Drama At The Trap I really really like the percussion! Sounds so great. The way you add instruments till the first drop at 1:01 is terrific.
The bass also sounds great, especially when it enters and on everything that happens at 1:05 - 1:20.

I would consider choosing a different sound for the melody. Some kind of gritty and edgy synth, and maybe creating a little bit of variation or development in the melody when it returns for the second time.