Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: HOPEFUL, PIANO-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by ttully » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey Tom....

Pretty good.....it is hopeful sounding!

The transition notes right at about :34 rush a bit...

Aslo... maybe put a note after each phrase to go into the next part instead of pausing on 4 each time.... it would be 1 lower note.

It would be on the 'and' of every 4 count...kind of ... if that makes any sense!!!!

My 3 cents !

Tim

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 pm

It is a pretty good sounding track to me.

Remember....that is just my opinion!!!!
I could be wrong.....

Lucky for me I can work on tracks all day or night my girlfriend is usually working on her business stuff while I pound away on the computer!
....... with lots of breaks!!!!
The breaks are VERY important..... then you can come back and hear all the problems.

Tim

nachomoreno

Post by nachomoreno » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I think you got the mood, simple and effective. I have also gone for this listing, good luck!

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

Tom hey I think the sound is right in regards to it not being too synthy nor too much reverb.

If anything your piece might be a little too energetic in relation to the reference tracks.

I think the mood is there, but maybe for the next one see what you can do with half the notes.

Best of luck!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

pianodanno

Post by pianodanno » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Honestly, on first listen, Hopeful didn't strike me. But when I listened to the reference tracks, I feel you are totally in the ballpark.

Musically, I like it!

Maybe soften up the piano a bit. I feel like it's striking a bit hard.
I do feel the strings are a bit synthy. Since it's piano based, try bringing down the strings a bit and it might work out.

Keep it up!

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 am

Hey Tom, I know this is after-the-fact but just dropping it in here in case it's useful for the future!

I think one of the main reasons it's not being perceived as 'hopeful' might be down to your chord choices. Just looking at your first 33 seconds, you've got a lot more minor chords than major—7 minor and 4 major. Also, even though your first chord is a major root, the following three are all minor... which kind of sets up a more somber tone from the start, no matter where it ends up going. By the 4th chord I think the ear has become primed to hearing something along those lines, rather than happy/hopeful.

The piano is bright and bouncy (so that part of the equation is there), but if you took that same music and slowed it wayyy down... how would it make you feel? That's always a good indicator for me. If the chord choices are in the zone, the sentiment should still be roughly the same.

For hopeful music, I find a 1/3 rising to the 4 is a very helpful chord progression to get that hopeful, building feel.

Two other little things that may be useful for different projects... piano velocities could be softened a little to make it sound more natural/less harsh, and your sustain pedal could go a little farther on each chord... (actually didn't listen super hard to hear if you're even using one!)... but right now the sonic break at every chord change is a little jarring to me. A little something to smooth those changes would work well.

I think this was a pretty great shot for someone who doesn't 'consider themselves a piano guy'....! I think you'll have to resend that title :D Looking forward to hearing more, hope this diatribe isn't totally off the mark for you :lol:
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud