Hoping for some feedback on MODERN SYNTH POP instrumental cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Hoping for some feedback on MODERN SYNTH POP instrumental cue

Post by BrentI » Tue May 18, 2021 8:12 am

Hi all! I'm trying my hand at a new style and was hoping for some feedback on my newest instrumental track.

https://soundcloud.com/brentisom/pause- ... HC6F8HXcoG

Am I in the ballpark? Instrumentation? Mixing suggestions? Development?

I always greatly value and appreciate the advice I get from the TAXI community! Thanks in advance for your input!

-Brent

MODERN SYNTH POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Licensing Company that lands placements on hundreds of shows on Major Networks every year!

This Company is on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"7 rings" by Ariana Grande

"no tears left to cry" by Ariana Grande

"thank u, next" by Ariana Grande

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit top-notch Pop Instrumental Cues with Synth-based instrumentation that's generally similar to the references. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production is slick and features modern, state-of-the-art sounds – nothing dated will work for this pitch!

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Hoping for some feedback on MODERN SYNTH POP instrumental cue

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue May 18, 2021 8:42 am

You know I don't think it's miles off

Took a bit too long to get going was wondering where the kick had gone until it finally put in an appearance - I would be tempted to bring that in much sooner and get to the meat of the track

I did think maybe the high melody is a bit too sweet sounding ? Maybe try resolving to a different note so it sounds a bit darker.

Not a huge fan of your bass sound, it's coming over a tad cheezy.

Obviously the bar is pretty high in those productions and I am missing an ear candy type elements and a bit of low-mid density. A good thing to try is listening to the refs and writing down every production trick you can hear.

i.e. Thank U Next

40s - 2 different parts playing off each other panned L&R with a lofi type effect ( something like the plugin called DRIP )

48s - A filtered lofi percussion loop comes in

57s - Bass notes are doubled by muffled sounding kick and alternate bass notes have pitch bend on them

That type of thing...then steall the ones you can replicate and sprinkle them into your track

Mark

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Hoping for some feedback on MODERN SYNTH POP instrumental cue

Post by BrentI » Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:42 am
You know I don't think it's miles off

Took a bit too long to get going was wondering where the kick had gone until it finally put in an appearance - I would be tempted to bring that in much sooner and get to the meat of the track

I did think maybe the high melody is a bit too sweet sounding ? Maybe try resolving to a different note so it sounds a bit darker.

Not a huge fan of your bass sound, it's coming over a tad cheezy.

Obviously the bar is pretty high in those productions and I am missing an ear candy type elements and a bit of low-mid density. A good thing to try is listening to the refs and writing down every production trick you can hear.

i.e. Thank U Next

40s - 2 different parts playing off each other panned L&R with a lofi type effect ( something like the plugin called DRIP )

48s - A filtered lofi percussion loop comes in

57s - Bass notes are doubled by muffled sounding kick and alternate bass notes have pitch bend on them

That type of thing...then steall the ones you can replicate and sprinkle them into your track

Mark
Thanks so much! I'll keep working on it! I'm with you on the bass sound. I need to spend more time with that. Production is one of those things I struggle with in general. I can hear differences between my music and the references, but can't always discern what they are. Anyways, thanks again Mark. I appreciate it!