Horns - but they're real!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mmagram0926

Horns - but they're real!

Post by mmagram0926 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:31 pm

:lol: 🤣 I keep getting feedback on one song of mine saying that the MIDI or synth horns do not sound authentic enough. But I swear I just have a really really really good live horn player who also produces professionally and the tracks literally come off like that. It's both amazing and frustrating at the same time lol. Just thought I would share not sure where else to put it. I'm not mad or anything and I don't know how to respond to the reviewer and let him know but I just think it's kind of humorous LOL

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Horns - but they're real!

Post by edmondredd » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:06 pm

In my opinion, mmagram0926, there are 2 sides of the coin: it might be that the screener is used to hear high end sample instruments, sampled at AIR or at some other fancy location, and might be hearing your horns as midi or synth; or it could be that "recording and producing" your horns is going through a weak link somewhere. What's the style you're writing in? What is it that you're trying to achieve. I know for example that if your doing orchestral music, you need at least 3 takes for the same instrument, and then you blend it with some sample instruments if need be..
my 2¢
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Post it up lets listen

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:10 pm

Post a link so we can check it out. I got a return a few years ago for my soprano sax and live mallets sounding too MIDI and sequenced. Sorry, but it took me years to be able to play with solid time. ;) It can come down to the mix and panning as well, along with the effects applied to the horns.

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm

If I play my Akai EWI wind controller and assign a trumpet to the track, is that considered 'live' or 'synthetic'?

:P
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 am

hummingbird wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm
If I play my Akai EWI wind controller and assign a trumpet to the track, is that considered 'live' or 'synthetic'?

:P
Synthetic, it's just a different controller..although it might generate better results than playing keys

EphJayMusic
Active
Active

Post by EphJayMusic » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:01 pm

edmondredd wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:06 pm
In my opinion, mmagram0926, there are 2 sides of the coin: it might be that the screener is used to hear high end sample instruments, sampled at AIR or at some other fancy location, and might be hearing your horns as midi or synth; or it could be that "recording and producing" your horns is going through a weak link somewhere. What's the style you're writing in? What is it that you're trying to achieve. I know for example that if your doing orchestral music, you need at least 3 takes for the same instrument, and then you blend it with some sample instruments if need be..
my 2¢
Hey, that's a worthy point given that there are some pretty popular libraries out there and they really do have a distinct sound out of the box. I am positive that if I can hear the sound of Spitfire Symphonic Strings or LASS then the screeners definitely can lol!

EphJayMusic
Active
Active

Post by EphJayMusic » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:03 pm

mmagram0926 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:31 pm
:lol: 🤣 I keep getting feedback on one song of mine saying that the MIDI or synth horns do not sound authentic enough. But I swear I just have a really really really good live horn player who also produces professionally and the tracks literally come off like that. It's both amazing and frustrating at the same time lol. Just thought I would share not sure where else to put it. I'm not mad or anything and I don't know how to respond to the reviewer and let him know but I just think it's kind of humorous LOL
That is awful and hilarious 🤦‍♂️

From my sound perspective and not a musical one:
I try very hard to be as OCD as possible when programming MIDI - strictly from a players perspective, and always introduce small timing and dynamic imperfections to emulate realism.
Given that different libraries have different ambiances, it's also important to ensure that your tonal balance between different sample libraries is maintained to provide adequate sonic cohesion. This can often be dealt with by using subtle EQ on specific libraries or instruments after deciding which tone you're going for. Prioritise reverb for instruments accordingly, to avoid the unnatural washiness of multiple halls being mushed together. Take advantage of the tree and close mics more than ambient mics if your track count is busy. Also, use that hi-pass filter everywhere! It's insane how much mess you can cut from almost everything. There is much space to be gained for the low freq guys like tuba and double basses.
Just some of my thoughts on getting optimum results when using VST's...

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:54 pm

EphJayMusic wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:03 pm

That is awful and hilarious 🤦‍♂️

From my sound perspective and not a musical one:
I try very hard to be as OCD as possible when programming MIDI - strictly from a players perspective, and always introduce small timing and dynamic imperfections to emulate realism.
Given that different libraries have different ambiances, it's also important to ensure that your tonal balance between different sample libraries is maintained to provide adequate sonic cohesion. This can often be dealt with by using subtle EQ on specific libraries or instruments after deciding which tone you're going for. Prioritise reverb for instruments accordingly, to avoid the unnatural washiness of multiple halls being mushed together. Take advantage of the tree and close mics more than ambient mics if your track count is busy. Also, use that hi-pass filter everywhere! It's insane how much mess you can cut from almost everything. There is much space to be gained for the low freq guys like tuba and double basses.
Just some of my thoughts on getting optimum results when using VST's...
What Freddie is saying is extremely valuable using virtual instruments, that's for sure, however, and just for you to have a clearer and to the point comments I'd reiterate what Paullie and Cosmic asked earlier, and that's a track to listen to :)
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image