How do I make copyrights to my song?!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rexman22583

How do I make copyrights to my song?!

Post by rexman22583 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:24 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows how to copyright their own songs?!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How do I make copyrights to my song?!

Post by davewalton » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi,Go to www.copyright.gov. All the info you need is there.Generally speaking, Form SR is what you want. You can copyright multiple songs (for the one $30 registration fee) by filling out section #1 similar to this:Title Of This WorkMy Song Collection 2005Contents TitlesSong #1, Song #2, Song #3Title the enclosed CD ("My Song Collection 2005" or whatever) and list the tracks the same way you listed them in Contents Titles). Other than that, the rest of the form is pretty straight forward.If your CD isn't fumigated in the security process (like mine was), they'll process everything the first time around and you'll receive a copyright certificate eventually (usually several months later).Dave

toolowd

Post by toolowd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 am

Quote:If your CD isn't fumigated in the security process (like mine was), they'll process everything the first time around and you'll receive a copyright certificate eventually (usually several months later).I just got a letter back a couple of days ago and I had a CD that was apparently destroyed by their "cleanup" process or whatever they are calling it nowadays...wouldn't have been such a big deal but this is the Second time for the same song! I sent the original in July 2005. I completely followed all of their instructions too. I can't prove it but I think that letter is just the government's way of saying they lost the CD. Oh well, one more try I guess...maybe this time with tinfoil wrapped around it or something. Thanks for the tip of copyrighting several songs for the one $30 fee. I had been doing them separately but that method could really save me some cash.

toolowd

Post by toolowd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:51 am

Quote:I was wondering if anyone knows how to copyright their own songs?! rexman - TAXI has a great little FAQ about Copyright stuff if you haven't read it already: http://www.taxi.com/faq/copyright/index.html#They also include a link to all of the forms. Like Dave said you probably need an SR (Sound Recording) form. The forms are fillable pdf forms so you can actually type all the info in from your computer....a little cleaner looking than filling them in by hand but whatever is easiest. -Dan

rexman22583

Post by rexman22583 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 am

Thanx 4 the support guys!! I'll definitely look into the info you guys just gave me! -Rex