How do I send audio tracks /stems to another computer?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How do I send audio tracks /stems to another computer?

Post by debmccall » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi Taxi family!
I don't know how to send, or even if I can send tracks (stems) from my computer to another computer.
Anybody have a super easy answer? I'm afraid I'll lose something, or everything. LOL very cautious
and nervous with technology.
Thank you for reading.
Debbie McCall

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: How do I send audio tracks /stems to another computer?

Post by Casey H » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:30 pm

Copy the files to an external USB drive and then copy the files to the new computer. It sounds like you need to find someone who lives in your area who can give you some basic computer skills lessons. Good luck! :D

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:37 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:30 pm
Copy the files to an external USB drive and then copy the files to the new computer. It sounds like you need to find someone who lives in your area who can give you some basic computer skills lessons. Good luck! :D
Yes, you are right. Well, we just did a few days ago. We have a recording studio and engineer within 9 miles. Relatively new to the area and I'm sure he'll help. I am a BIG chicken. I think that every new move I
make is going to ruin or make worse everything I've done. So your comment is well received, and I'm glad this guy is up here. We'll probably wind up paying his kid's college tuition, but o well. LOL!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:53 pm

The bigger issue here is that there are quite a few IT hoops to jump through if you want to manage your own sync path. Most of us take it all for granted, not because we're smart but because we've been doing it a long time, but there's a lot to learn fast if you're staring from the beginning. I'm not wishing to scare you off but it doesn't stop even when you've got your head around DAW recording, mixing and mastering. There's every chance that if a publisher likes your track they could ask "Could you remix it with the lead flute (or whatever) down a couple of db, then send me the full mix, an underscore version, a bass and drums mix, plus all the stems and 30s and sting cut-downs in 24bit 48kHz aiff or wav? I'd like them by the end of the week plus the metadata completed on our Excel proforma, and then I'd need the contract signed digitally a.s.a.p." If you got such a request you'd need to find a way to respond promptly and correctly or risk losing the deal (and maybe never being offered another one from that library).

My point is, it'll be a long time before you get over the fear of screwing up at every turn if you try and find your own way through it all on your own. Casey is right, that some basic computer skills are absolutely necessary as a start, so finding a good tutor would be a really smart move. Better still, if you find one that can also help with DAW skills too then you can focus on what's important for sync, and along the way maybe learn what you need to know to be able to deal with sync library expectations. Then when you get that call from a library you'll feel great knowing that you can say "sure, I'll sort all that out and make sure you get it within the next few days", without having to shout for help.

I wish you well on the journey, its not as hard as you might think, and I hope you find it a fun one rather than a scary one. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.