Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

how do we collaborate online?

Post by BrianSteel » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:22 pm

Hi,

Looking to collaborate with other musicians on productions ie instruments or voices.

Trying to figure how to do it. I know there are several apps out there. Any advice?

Besides being able to lay down a track online, I am interested in knowing how to do a live recording session online.

What are my options from free to paid? Thank you all for any help you can provide!

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: how do we collaborate online?

Post by melodea » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 am

https://www.sessionwire.com

It was even a sponsor of last years Taxi Road Rally!

good luck

Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:06 am

I still manage quite happily with only the simple things, like mp3 files via email and wav files in Dropbox. You don't necessarily need any of the fancy stuff beyond that, but it depends on how you and your collaborators prefer to work I guess. I'm sure they'll have their preferences.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:07 am

I do a lot of sessions locally and globally with record companies, taxi members, other musicians projects like Graham mentioned and sometimes the client will also do a zoom hang to discuss some stuff live and actually meet virtually just to feel more comfortable and put a face behind the mask.

The other ways with apps I have never tried or needed to.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:17 pm

I never try to do live online collaborations (if that is what you are asking), other than maybe some brainstorming during a video chat. I've done a lot of collabs (well over a hundred) and each collaborator is different. Sometimes it starts with someone laying down an idea and sharing an mp3.

For example, I recently did a rockabilly project where in some cases my guitar player would send me an mp3 of his scratch track. I would drop the track into Logic and then create my parts. I'd bounce an mp3 and send it back to him for feedback. Changes get made, eventually the final version is done. Send the final mix plus alt mixes to the collaborator and we are good to go.

Some folks want to get a contract signed before working together, I do that if someone provides the contract. But for most of my stuff I don't bother.

As far as splits go, more often than not I always go 50:50, and I try to avoid adding more people because it's hard enough to make money at this and I don't want to split a tiny pie with a bunch of people. ;) In some cases you could go 75:25, or whatever ration you agree upon depending on the genre and who is doing the work. Even if I'm composing an entire track and just adding some guitar over it, I usually split it evenly because the music would not exist if not for the collaborator.

Hope this helps.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:00 pm

OK Taxi folks,

I get all that.

The thing is. I am doing vocals! exclamation point intended. With vocals, I want the spot on connection with harmony.

So I can't do send me your mp3 over my track. No, no, no. Being dramatic here.

I need to do a live session with the vocals. I saw the Taxi thing and I wasn't sold.

Any other help out there? Thank you all for your input. Would love to hear from a certified Taxi person i.e. Taxi employee.