How do you count "placements"?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How do you count "placements"?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:25 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:18 pm
Keep in mind that while Tunesat is nice, it would not at all be good for getting a play count. The detections can be very hit and miss, not picking up all of them. Of course, for free, the info is better than nothing. Most likely if Tunesat is picking up some broadcasts with your tracks, there are more than those.
I have found it pretty accurate, there's nothing on my PRO statements over the past few years that it didn't pick up on broadcast apart from territories they don't monitor and online stuff.

I did have some false positives at the beginning as I'd used the same Damage Loop as everyone else. Lesson learned.

One of my bigger Libraries uses Tunesat to monitor their catalogue and GEMA their PRO uses it as evidence to correct missing performance royalties.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:25 am
One of my bigger Libraries uses Tunesat to monitor their catalogue and GEMA their PRO uses it as evidence to correct missing performance royalties.
Some also use Soundmouse for the same purpose. I suppose when the whole world moves over to totally electronic detection we'll all be fine :shock: :lol: .
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Some also use Soundmouse for the same purpose. I suppose when the whole world moves over to totally electronic detection we'll all be fine :shock: :lol: .
They could do it now and have been able to for about a decade , there just isn't the will at the PRO's to have a transparent system

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:52 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Casey H wrote:
Keep in mind that while Tunesat is nice, it would not at all be good for getting a play count. The detections can be very hit and miss, not picking up all of them. Of course, for free, the info is better than nothing. Most likely if Tunesat is picking up some broadcasts with your tracks, there are more than those.
I have found it pretty accurate, there's nothing on my PRO statements over the past few years that it didn't pick up on broadcast apart from territories they don't monitor and online stuff.

I did have some false positives at the beginning as I'd used the same Damage Loop as everyone else. Lesson learned.

I found it much better on the cable channels than the major networks, don't know why. It misses most of my Young and the Restless placements on CBS, Chicago Fire on NBC, etc. And these aren't necessarily barely audible, they are at least as audible as the ones it picks up on cable shows. Regarding PRO payment, I'm with ASCAP who pays mainly based on surveys. So I get the opposite problem-- Tunesat gets tons of hits on a placement that I don't get paid for because they are missed in ASCAP's surveys, even though there are cue sheets filed. I have placements on 22 episodes of a program on NBC Sports and have never seen a penny. :(

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:52 am
I have placements on 22 episodes of a program on NBC Sports and have never seen a penny. :(
Ever thought about switching to BMI?

===
Michael

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:52 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:52 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Casey H wrote:

I found it much better on the cable channels than the major networks, don't know why. It misses most of my Young and the Restless placements on CBS, Chicago Fire on NBC, etc. And these aren't necessarily barely audible, they are at least as audible as the ones it picks up on cable shows. Regarding PRO payment, I'm with ASCAP who pays mainly based on surveys. So I get the opposite problem-- Tunesat gets tons of hits on a placement that I don't get paid for because they are missed in ASCAP's surveys, even though there are cue sheets filed. I have placements on 22 episodes of a program on NBC Sports and have never seen a penny. :(
When you upload music to Tunesat, do you have to enter metadata for each track? I'd like to get on board, but just wondering how much time I'd need to invest. I wasn't able to find any real details about their process on their website or elsewhere.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:52 pm
When you upload music to Tunesat, do you have to enter metadata for each track? I'd like to get on board, but just wondering how much time I'd need to invest. I wasn't able to find any real details about their process on their website or elsewhere.
No you don't have to , there's little point really as a composer...just drop the track , let it upload and it's done

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm
jdstamper wrote:
No you don't have to , there's little point really as a composer...just drop the track , let it upload and it's done
Thanks Mark, I'll have to give it a try!
Jim Stamper

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
jdstamper wrote:
I'm in. I signed up for Tunesat today and just finished uploading tracks. It took less than an hour. :)
Jim Stamper

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm
jdstamper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:

I'm in. I signed up for Tunesat today and just finished uploading tracks. It took less than an hour. :)
now start counting those placements JD :D
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image