How do you count "placements"?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

How do you count "placements"?

Post by jdstamper » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm

When I hear stories about Taxi members with 1,000 placements, or 10,000 placements ... I start to wonder, what does that mean? How does everyone count placements? What's the definition?

What do you think?

PS. No matter how you count it, I'm nowhere close to 10,000 :lol:

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How do you count "placements"?

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Some count only unique placements, omitting any repeat broadcasts of the same thing, and I can see some merit in that. However, I prefer to count every broadcast, as we're supposed to be paid for them all. Besides, that's usually a much bigger number and gives me more a sense of achievement :). Then there's the middle figure - the broadcasts that we actually did get paid for :roll:! I'm not sure there is a official definition, but it would be interesting to learn that there is.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Like Graham says I am one of those who will only count each unique placement when a piece gets used in a TV Show / Ad / Movie.

I have a few in shows such as "Keeping Up with The Kardashians" which get repeated a bunch as evidenced on Tunesat but I only count the first airing as a "placement"

OTOH if a piece get used multiple times in one episode then I would count each one, i.e. I had a track used on " E ! - Golden Globes Countdown to the Red Carpet" and Tunesat flagged up 5 separate spots which I listened to and they were all unique so I would count that as 5 placements even though they were in one show.

I'm on track to break through 100 placements this year but it's taken over 5 years to get to that point so 10,000 seems an impossibly long way off from here. I suppose I might make the 1,000 figure which seems more achievable.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:38 pm

It's never occurred to me to count reruns. I only count unique placements, a given song (or cue) in a given TV episode.

:D Casey

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 pm

That sounds like a lot of work. I just keep track of how many shows/movies/ads/promos etc. that I've had placements in. I wouldn't even know how to begin to count total number of placements counting reruns and multiples in a single episode.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm

I count shows first, then placements. If three different tracks used in a single Kardashians episode, I would count them as three placement on a single show. In general I go by what shows up on my royalty statements, counting different episodes separately. I don't count reruns or internet streams, etc.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:20 am

Paulie wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm
I count shows first, then placements. If three different tracks used in a single Kardashians episode, I would count them as three placement on a single show. In general I go by what shows up on my royalty statements, counting different episodes separately. I don't count reruns or internet streams, etc.
In that case when you say you count shows - is it each episode you count as a "show" or once you've counted KUWTK as one show, you'd never count it again even if you had placements in subsequent Episodes/ Series ?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:38 pm
It's never occurred to me to count reruns. I only count unique placements, a given song (or cue) in a given TV episode.
That's great if its that simple. However, Tunesat can show a list of broadcasts of the same piece of music, where sometimes the shows are different, sometimes the channels are different, sometimes the versions are different, and sometimes the lengths are different. Checking them all just to find which ones are originals and duplicates is work I can do without.
- Does being broadcast on a different channel make it unique?
- What about the same show in a different country?
- What if its different versions of a promo?
- Are all placements equal, or Is a single primetime broadcast on CBS worth a few hundred local cable broadcasts at 4am, or a few thousand internet streams? :shock:
- What if your underscore mix is used in the same show as your full mix - is that 1 or 2?
- What if your music is used in a video excerpt, and that same excerpt gets used in 2 different shows, is that 1 or 2?
- Does any of this self-measurement matter?
- Should we simply be happy we're on TV? :D

YMMV!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:20 am
Paulie wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:12 pm
In that case when you say you count shows - is it each episode you count as a "show" or once you've counted KUWTK as one show, you'd never count it again even if you had placements in subsequent Episodes/ Series ?
I just count shows, I don't keep track of how many times I've been placed in a particular show. Seems like trying to keep track of every placement would be impossible, where do you draw the line?

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 am
Casey H wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:38 pm
That's great if its that simple. However, Tunesat can show a list of broadcasts of the same piece of music, where sometimes the shows are different, sometimes the channels are different, sometimes the versions are different, and sometimes the lengths are different. Checking them all just to find which ones are originals and duplicates is work I can do without.

YMMV!
I've been counting the same as most of the responses above. I've never used Tunesat, so I'm relying on BMI quarterly statements.

If I counted the number of re-broadcasts, I would have to keep a spreadsheet and then add in the number of airings each quarter for each TV show ... a lot of work! (But it would get me closer to 10,000] :lol:

This is how I would answer the questions based on how I'm counting. I'm NOT saying there's any right or wrong way! I started this thread just to find out what others are doing ...

- Does being broadcast on a different channel make it unique? .... No
- What about the same show in a different country? .... No
- What if its different versions of a promo? ... Yes I think: Seems similar to having 1 song appear multiple times in a show
- Are all placements equal, or Is a single primetime broadcast on CBS worth a few hundred local cable broadcasts at 4am, or a few thousand internet streams? :shock: ... All are equal for counting placements ... Income is a whole other thing
- What if your underscore mix is used in the same show as your full mix - is that 1 or 2? ... That's 2
- What if your music is used in a video excerpt, and that same excerpt gets used in 2 different shows, is that 1 or 2? ... That's 2
- Does any of this self-measurement matter? ... It's not critical or anything. But number of placements does seem to be used as one indicator of success.
- Should we simply be happy we're on TV? :D ... Absolutely! Totally!
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper