Thanks, your feedback helped us get this song signed!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Thanks, your feedback helped us get this song signed!

Post by deantaylor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:38 pm

Big thanks for your time and great feedback on this song. The remix we did per your comments was accepted by the first publisher we submitted it to. Yay!
Last edited by deantaylor on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 am, edited 9 times in total.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: How is the mix/production?

Post by funsongs » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:58 pm

2 cents from The Peanut Gallery:

1) It took these ears a bit a listening into the track to 'accept' the clapping/percussion sound/FX as part of the texture,
against the other instrumentation and voice, which are clear and clearly-defined. At first, the FX seemed like a distracting distortion;
BUT - as, the title suggests - if the intent for the track to be a little 'bizarre'; then it works.
Know what I mean?

2) It also reminded me of hearing examples at a Ronan Murphy presentation at the RR a few years back, discussing 'the advent'
of even bass guitar tracks using some distortion in the tone.

If that FX is, therefore, on purpose & by design; then your production sounds spot on.
HTH; other ears may have a different perspective.
Your mileage may vary.
Cool composition for film/TV...? :? :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:42 am

funsongs wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:58 pm
2 cents from The Peanut Gallery:

1) It took these ears a bit a listening into the track to 'accept' the clapping/percussion sound/FX as part of the texture,
against the other instrumentation and voice, which are clear and clearly-defined. At first, the FX seemed like a distracting distortion;
BUT - as, the title suggests - if the intent for the track to be a little 'bizarre'; then it works.
Know what I mean?

2) It also reminded me of hearing examples at a Ronan Murphy presentation at the RR a few years back, discussing 'the advent'
of even bass guitar tracks using some distortion in the tone.

If that FX is, therefore, on purpose & by design; then your production sounds spot on.
HTH; other ears may have a different perspective.
Your mileage may vary.
Cool composition for film/TV...? :? :P
Thanks Peter. I know what you mean. You hit the nail on the head with what we've been grappling with. We had some mixes/productions that sounded good, very clean, but they did not sound bizarre enough (to me). We also had a few that went too far and were too jolting/bold for film/TV use, imo. This version hit the sweet spot for us (for now), but it's hard to know for sure. Your opinion and others' opinions will help us to acid test it. We can always tweak and remix if needed.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:40 am

Anytime you're pitching a track that's aimed at getting used as underscore or, more specifically, under dialog -
that's a huge challenge to sound 'bizarre', without standing out in contrast or distraction to the exchange of conversation.
Hope you find that magical balance.
I don't know if it's an applicable saying; but - "when in doubt, take something out" - aligning with the "less-is-more" approach.
Good luck with your pitch.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:58 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:40 am
Anytime you're pitching a track that's aimed at getting used as underscore or, more specifically, under dialog -
that's a huge challenge to sound 'bizarre', without standing out in contrast or distraction to the exchange of conversation.
Hope you find that magical balance.
I don't know if it's an applicable saying; but - "when in doubt, take something out" - aligning with the "less-is-more" approach.
Good luck with your pitch.
Thanks Peter. Actually our goal is featured placements. But of course, we'd also love to get under dialog and bedtrack placements too. So really, we just wanna make it the best song possible. But still, your point holds, there is a balance to get just the right amount of bizarreness!
Last edited by deantaylor on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:48 pm

It sounds too distorted to me guys, I had trouble listening to it. If it's deliberate then I might look at reducing the effect or targeting it only on to one or two specific track elements. At the moment to me ( and I suspect to the screeners ears ) it just sounds like someone made a mistake in their DAW rather than an actual production decision.

Also the vocals also seem to have some sort of delay based effect that makes them sound phasey / flangey which gives a very throwback dated kinda vibe. Overall the whole production is coming across rather messy to me at the moment.

I don't know if you have any reference tracks but if you do it might be an idea to post them up so we can hear what you were going for.

Mark

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:04 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:48 pm
It sounds too distorted to me guys, I had trouble listening to it. If it's deliberate then I might look at reducing the effect or targeting it only on to one or two specific track elements. At the moment to me ( and I suspect to the screeners ears ) it just sounds like someone made a mistake in their DAW rather than an actual production decision.

Also the vocals also seem to have some sort of delay based effect that makes them sound phasey / flangey which gives a very throwback dated kinda vibe. Overall the whole production is coming across rather messy to me at the moment.

I don't know if you have any reference tracks but if you do it might be an idea to post them up so we can hear what you were going for.

Mark
Thanks Mark. It's good to get fresh ears on this. Perhaps we went too far with the distortion and vocal effects.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:26 pm

I think it is really cool and original! But then again, I eat this kinda stuff up as a listener...Sync?? I don't know..... Seems too busy, distorted and phasey, but I would defer to others on here with far more experience in Sync than I have, but as an original song?? I think it's pretty damn cool!!!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by WSAO » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:55 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:48 pm

Mark
Spot on, Mark!

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 pm

UPDATED mix 3/2/2024 .. Hopefully the distortion and phaseyness that Peter, cosmicdolphin and WSAO thought was too much is within tolerances now, but the bizarre feel is still in tack. What do you think?

https://s.disco.ac/cmlamdsptfbt

Thank You!

PS It's ironic that the lyrics have the words 'distorting' and 'out of phase' and the main complaints were too much distortion and vocal phaseyness :)