how many submissions?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DAmaditz

how many submissions?

Post by DAmaditz » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:47 am

Hello,
I'm a newbie to TAXI. I have submitted about 10 times, and all of them have been returned. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how many submissions it took before they were accepted. I know it's not a hard number, but are we talking like, 50? That's $250.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: how many submissions?

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:16 am

As many as it takes to get it right. Although I see more members submit their first 3 tracks, get a forward, get one signed and some even have a placement, it's not common and some members haven't had a forward at all and have been members for years. There is no "magical number". It all depends on your skill level before becoming a member and then understanding, learning how to write for sync music. Then there is the technical side of it, recording, mixing, mastering, quality of VST instruments and performance.

If you like to share one or two of your tracks then we can hear and give advice if you like.

Good luck with your first forward, it will come

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:46 pm

DAmaditz wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:47 am
Hello,
I'm a newbie to TAXI. I have submitted about 10 times, and all of them have been returned. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how many submissions it took before they were accepted. I know it's not a hard number, but are we talking like, 50? That's $250.
There's no right answer (can be 1 to never) as there are SO many variables. How well are you targeting your submissions? How are your production/engineering skills? How good at you at using the reference tracks? How ell are you adapting based on screener feedback? Are your submissions really solid but just missing the bar (e.g. how selective) for a listing?

One thing you should do is post some of your returned tracks with the full listing text (not a link) and the complete screener comments. Then folks can give you an idea how close you are.

Best,
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:58 pm

My first 10 submission went....

Return
Forward
Forward
Return
Return
Return
Forward
Return
Forward
Forward

Those were spread over a six week period. After that I had 9 straight returns before the next forward :shock:

Out of those first 10 tracks, whilst none of the forwards resulted in a library contact ( that would come a little later ) they did end up in Non-Exclusive catalogues and 5 of them have had TV placements ( the best placement was actually for one that was returned )

So yeah, as Andre rightly mentioned - How it goes at the start all depends on what skills you bring to the table from the get go and how quickly you can adapt. I like to think of myself as someone who goes into things fully prepared and although I was 'good enough ' I still brushed up on my mixing and keyboard chops before I even joined up in readiness.

OTOH I read posts from people who are celebrating because they got a forward after a year or more. But when you listen to the music you can understand why it's taken so long. So it's all down to the individual, their skills / mindset and goals I guess.

Mark

DAmaditz

Post by DAmaditz » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:31 am

Thanks guys for your responses. They are all very helpful and made me feel a bit better. When I get a second, I'll try posting what was returned to me and see if folks agree with the reviewer.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:41 am

Anyone else's stats are largely irrelevant, and its not just a matter of numbers or time. Who would you choose to compare yourself with, for example:
- those who write to the listings and are gradually getting better at it?
- those who have some existing tracks that they keep submitting in the hope that they fit the listings?
- those who keep having a go at lots of styles they don't understand but struggle to get good at any of them?
- those who's think their music is great but won't accept anyone else's feedback or screener returns?
- those who actually do write great music but don't yet understand how to 'tune' it for sync?
- those who are skilled players/singers/composers but have no idea about computers/recording/production?
- those who are great producers but need others to play/sing/compose?
- those who don't listen to current music or watch TV because they prefer the dated sounds of their chosen era?
- those who start from nothing but soak up all available information, learn loads, then eventually start getting forwards and deals?
- those who persistently work at it every day?
- those who dip in and out whenever it takes their fancy but find it difficult to progress?
- those who consistently write lots of up-to-date music that is well structured for sync and well targeted for the listings?
- those who started sync 20 years ago?
- those who got into it very recently?
We're probably all somewhere in that list (or have been) but the point is, we're all different people with different skills, tastes, drive, and we follow different paths at different times, based on different opportunities..... now throw in an element of random chance too. As I said in an earlier post on much the same topic, you might as well ask how many golf balls must I hit before I get a hole in one? :)

On screener feedback, you might disagree with it, but there's a pretty good chance that they are well qualified to have arrived at their judgement, so I'd say take what you can from to help improve your track until you give them no reason to return it when you submit it for the next appropriate listing. Good luck :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:44 am

IMHO - it bears repeating: the screeners WANT TO FIND the music they can GLADLY & CONFIDENTLY send (forward) to the client WHO ASKED TAXI for the music they need.
Seems that if members view the screeners as their personal counselors and agents, rather than 'the gatekeeper/goalie' defense against everyone -
it might encourage folks to work WITH the listing criteria and with the screeners as 'team-mates'.

2 cents from The Peanut Gallery. :? :)
YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra