How May Are Earning $5000+ Per Year @ Taxi?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

How May Are Earning $5000+ Per Year @ Taxi?

Post by wta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:41 am

I'd love to get a feel for how everyones doing here at Taxi, I have to say I love Taxi and most of all, all the great songwriters/producers I've met and read about. Who can say they are earning $5000+ US per year for the efforts here with Taxi, not including any other form of income? Keep up the great work and the great posts... wta
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How May Are Earning $5000+ Per Yeat @ Taxi?

Post by hazineju » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am

per yeat or per year? either way, not me....yet, of course.

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How May Are Earning $5000+ Per Year @ Taxi?

Post by wta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:08 am

sorry, tippos, er, ah typos gota luv'm!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:32 am

I would fall in that category, if you need a ballpark multiply by 10.This is all from relationships formed directly thru Taxi forwards. Most of my additional income is also related to stuff I learned from Taxi or music I wrote in response to Taxi listings, but not directly from Taxi forwards so I'm leaving it out...Now...don't expect this type of result in your first couple of years of course... matto

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:47 am

matto you are SERIOUS inspiration

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 am

When I get like Matto...I'll say yes That's why I joined Taxi.
Billy

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:03 am

matto, I'm talking about THROUGH Taxi alone mate, lol sorry... Do you have a link to your music I could listen to? Cheers, wta

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 am

Oct 2, 2008, 11:32am, matto wrote:Now...don't expect this type of result in your first couple of years of course... Earning $$$ from music takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R. It's like nothing I've ever seen or experienced. Case in point with my first Taxi deal. I get the forward. One year later I get contacted for the deal. Eight months after that my music is placed into a show. Because of BMI snafus, it's one year after that before I get paid on that first placement. Oh, and because it was an infomercial, BMI only paid 1/3 the regular rate. Grrrr... Now I get placements every week but it's still a long time before everything is accounted for. Foreign royalties lag way behind US royalties. I'm just starting to get Canadian and UK royalties on music that was placed well over a year ago and haven't even started to see royalties from other European countries. I'm told that royalties from Asian countries are going to take at least two years to start showing up. Except perhaps royalties from North Korea... that might take a little longer. So I don't yet know how much I'm ultimately going to be paid for any one placement... that process isn't done yet and won't be for at least another year or more. So I do music full time, Taxi is one of many things that I do and is the major source of back-end money (performance royalties). But these other things for up-front money like scoring independent films and writing themes for travel shows and all that, none of that would have happened without the process of getting my music "current", something that didn't happen overnight either.The concept of the "five year plan" was presented to me when I thought that an "eight month" plan was sufficient. Now I'm glad I didn't quit before I gave things a chance to happen in their own time. Actually, the best way to go about this is to be 13 when you start... that way when you actually start earning money you'll be appreciating it during your retirement years.

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:01 am

Wow we've had 72 viewers and one has chimed in... its still early yet.

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 am

I'm a "yes" in answer to your question as well, WTA.However, I would point out that much of the income coming from placements and deals -- even if not related to a specific taxi listing -- begins with either a Taxi forward, or with connections made through Taxi, or with ideas shared in Taxi articles/ workshops/ videos and by fellow composers on the forum.So it's not a clearly delineated line. E.g. These taxi listings = these deals = this income. OR These non-taxi deals = etc. etc. Everything is interwoven.For me, asking "how much money do you make per year?" is not as important a question as "is Taxi helping you invest in your career, and are you seeing returns on that investment?". Given that most businesses take five years to determine whether or not they are succeeding, most people won't really know how they are doing for a few years into the process.In my case, I've been with Taxi for only two years. In that time, I've had about 130 submits, 33 forwards, and 3 deals.One of those deals (from a year ago) resulted in music income that has doubled every quarter. In addition, my songs are in 35 music libraries, some of which approached me, or which I found on my own, thanks again to things I learned via Taxi.To me, these "numbers" indicate that I'm on the right track. Things continue to grow and expand.However, just as important are other indicators of how I'm doing as a professional composer. Am I utilizing the valuable feedback about how to hone my craft that is offered by Taxi & its related friends and advisors? Am I presenting my work in new and creative ways to the music world? Am I learning from my fellow composers here on the forums?Am I remembering that every career path takes time, persistence, and dedication -- and am I trusting myself to stay committed to creating a composing career for myself in a world that often demands "instant results"?If I can answer "yes" to the above (which I do!), then, by golly, I'm on the right track and can truly say that I am enjoying a wonderful return on my investments.And in my experience, Taxi is the perfect partner in this journey. ,Suz