how's my dirge coming along?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: how's my dirge coming along?

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:13 am

Oh yes you DID!The voicing is flawless! Girl, did you hear that tonal change in the alto note in the middle of the song? I love this version! It would fit both large (screen, if you added the full pipes) and small (funeral). Well DONE.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Vikki,I LOVE the vocal sounds in this one. I really love it after the 1:03 mark, before that the instruments seemed a little 'cheesy' sounding on my first listen. But on second listen, it didn't bother me, so .... maybe I was wrong.Dean

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:37 am

I really like this, Vikki. Your voice is just BEAUTIFUL...an Enya like quality to it, so it's really good for a Celtic piece. There's a good continuity here.....good flow......but I think I agree with Squids on the bagpipes....that's where it starts to break up for me. Bagpipes are great, but those little pesky things have to be done in a certain way, or they can overwhelm the song. Hats off to you for even trying....don't think I could even attempt that.Anyway, still great stuff. Good luck with it!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:59 am

Wow, thanks everyone!! Since the listing said pipes preferred, and I agree the chanter doesn't have the quality sound that I would prefer, I've decided to submit 2 versions, one with pipes, and one without, and let the sceener decide if one or both is worthy of a forward.cheersVikki
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 am

I love pipes. I really LOVE them. But chanters never seem to come off well on tape for some reason. Great for practicing, though, spares the ears. Is there a way you could get him to re-record them? Cuz that would about slay me on this song.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:10 am

Quote:Is there a way you could get him to re-record them? Cuz that would about slay me on this song.nah, he's gone back to Manitoba (and the listing deadline is today - not that that means you don't keep working on it). I did ask him to record RC on the big pipes when we were done with the chanter, but he felt that they wouldn't be right for the piece and I bowed to his experience. I did get my arrangement of Amazing Grace recorded on the big pipes - let you know when I've got that done

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:11 am

Can't wait! Sorry to hear he didn't feel it would be appropriate for this song. Alas, we bow to a higher authority sometimes. Well, most times.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:19 am

Quote:Alas, we bow to a higher authority sometimes. no never

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:25 am

That's the spirit. Rah!!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:06 am

Vikki,it's a pleasant piece, nice an soothing. I would say my main worry about it is that it may not be very well targeted to this listing which asks for "authentic sounding Scottish dirges", which to me means they want stuff that sounds like authentic Scottish folk music...Whereas your piece sounds like a New Age or Worldbeat song with a Celtic vibe to me.It's also not really a very dirge-like to my ears, it's really sort of hopeful sounding actually, not a really somber "funeral lament".Just my 2 cents of course, best of luck to you with the listing!matto