Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How Should I Interpret This Phrase?

Post by regardner » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:40 pm

Hello,

How do you interpret this? "Although the references are vintage, please submit RECENTLY RECORDED Songs, rather than actual Vintage recordings for this listing"

I have a recent return from a listing with similar verbiage which makes me believe I'm not interpreting it correctly.

The full listing is below:

"FEEL-GOOD 80's-Style ROCK/METAL SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a hard-working Music Library with international distribution that's landing thousands of cool placements in TV shows around the globe.

NOTE: This Company has a preference for Songs with Male Vocals, but if you have great Songs with Female Vocals, they’re open to hearing them, as well!

This Library is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC

"Girls, Girls, Girls" by Mötley Crüe

"Shake Me" by Cinderella

"Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz" by Pretty Boy Floyd

Although the references are vintage, please submit RECENTLY RECORDED Songs, rather than actual Vintage recordings for this listing.

Please submit top-notch 80's-style Rock/Metal Songs that capture the sound and essence of 80's Party or Anthem Rock. Your submissions should have rockin' guitars, unforgettable hooks, catchy melodies, and plenty of great, fun energy – nothing too dark or heavy will work, here. Typical 80's Rock instrumentation that's generally similar to the style of the references (and others like them) will suit your submissions best. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments you use are high-quality. Exuberant, well-performed vocals brimming with 80's intensity could seal the deal for this request!

NOTE: Do NOT submit anything with third-party loops, even if they are royalty-free.

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, places, dates, times, brands, and profanity. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Library offers an Exclusive deal, and has a strong preference for signing material from songwriters who have worked for libraries and licensing companies in the past and understand how standard deals work.

ANOTHER NOTE: This company has a preference for unreleased Songs that aren't already commercially available, so if you've already released them on Spotify, Apple Music, etc., or if they’re already published or administered by CD Baby Pro, Tune Core, etc., please do not submit them."

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Songs you pitch for this request are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Songs as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday March 24th, 2022. TAXI # S220324MT

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: How Should I Interpret This Phrase?

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:06 pm

There have been other listings for actual vintage recordings-- recordings that were actually recorded in a previous time period, not recordings made now to sound like back then. So they clarifying that they are looking for current recordings that emulate the references. Make sense?

:D Casey

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Hello Casey,

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

I recently received a return, however, on a listing containing an almost identical phrase, and the reason, well, one of the reasons, was this: "Production could convey more "recently recorded" qualities," and the screener checked the "not contemporary as requested" box.

There were only two phrases in the listing that, it seems to me, could be construed in any way to mean "Please send us something contemporary." One is the "recently recorded" bit; the other is "Some elements of contemporary sounds (like the use of synths or drum machines) are okay to incorporate, as well." The use of the words "are okay to incorporate" makes the contemporary elements sound optional to me, but maybe I am wrong.

I want to get the issue resolved because I'm going to pitch the same track that was returned to this new listing using essentially the same phrase.

This is the full text of that previous listing.

ENERGETIC ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for a Direct-to-Music Supervisor Placement in an Indie Feature Film.

TAXI doesn't normally take requests for music for Indie Films unless there is a sync fee paid to the music creators. If there are any sync fees paid for this project, they will likely be on the smaller side (we would guesstimate less than $1,000), with most of the income earned via P.R.O. royalties paid down the road. However, this request comes from an excellent Music Supervisor who has a history of using music from TAXI's members. We think this is a great chance to (possibly) make some money upfront; and maybe, more importantly, it's an opportunity for this extremely busy Music Supervisor to get to know you and your music (and at the very least, make some performance income when the film streams or goes to cable).

The Music Supervisor is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Cobrastyle" by Teddybears feat. Mad Cobra

"Bellbottoms" by The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

“Black Betty” by Ram Jam

"Wolf Like Me" by TV On The Radio

Although some of the references are vintage, please submit RECENTLY RECORDED Songs that fall within the sound and styling of the references, rather than actual Vintage recordings for this listing.

Please submit top-tier Rock Songs that could set the tone for various chasing, running, or street-fighting scenes. Your submissions should have catchy melodies, memorable choruses, driving rhythms, polished production, and a hefty dose of great energy. Instrumentation in the general style of the references will suit your submissions best – think rockin' guitars, drum kits, solid bass, etc. Some elements of contemporary sounds (like the use of synths or drum machines) are okay to incorporate, as well. Please be sure that your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples are high-quality. Compelling, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

Lyrics that don’t have references to specific names, dates, times, brands, places, and profanity could make your Songs more usable for this placement. Please do NOT copy the referenced Songs or artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This will be a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll get 100% of the Sync Fee (if applicable), keep 100% of your Publishing and Master ownership, get 100% of any applicable performance royalties, and also be included in the credit listing. No Publisher splits! You must own or control the Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS for this request. Sorry folks, but we're on an extremely tight deadline, so please don't even ask! Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, March 8th, 2022. TAXI # S220308RK

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:45 pm

It sounds like they wanted the recording to have contemporary production techniques, sounds, etc. (Drums, virtual instruments, FX, etc.) If you post a link to the song, maybe we can comment on what the issue might be.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:56 am

Classic Rock - but with contemporary production

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:11 am

Gents,

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me about my concern.

Here's the track:

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:56 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:56 am
Classic Rock - but with contemporary production
Wow, what a great track! :D 8-) It's beyond my skill set to tell you what would make it contemporary production of a classic rock tune. This one's for cosmicdolphin.

Regardless, lots of libraries would pick this one up IMHO.

:D Casey

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:12 pm

Thanks, Casey. I appreciate the kind words.

Have you really posted over 10,000 times to the forums? That's unbelievable!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:58 pm

regardner wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:12 pm
Have you really posted over 10,000 times to the forums? That's unbelievable!
I have no life. :lol: I was on here when the forum was first founded around 2004 timeframe. :D