How to handle rewrites

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ssisk

How to handle rewrites

Post by ssisk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:32 am

I am relatively new to Taxi and I am just starting to get some critiques on my submissions. I want to address the suggestions for improving the lyrics for future submissions--do I need to recut the demos (i.e. punch in the new lyrics) or is it acceptable to note the edited lyrics on the lyric sheets and leave the original demo intact? It becomes costly to re-record, but I want my songs to get the best shot. I don't have a feel for how well the reviewers can envision an edited lyric within a preexisting demo.Thanks for your advice!Sandra

dayson1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: How to handle rewrites

Post by dayson1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Sandra, Welcome:)If you are doing a re-write, then you will need to re-cut the demo.You want to give whoever is listening the impression that you are a complete Professional, and you are right? If you just noted the lyric changes, you would only distract them from the song itself.It would give the impression you are not willing to go the extra mile and correct any perceived weakness in the song. I would do a few re-writes and get some feedback on which is the better of them and then re-demo the song.Do you produce your own demos. or do you use a demo service?There are a lot of people here with a lot of great advice. I am sure you will hear more:)) I hope this helps a little:))-Dana
Dana

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Quote:It becomes costly to re-record, but I want my songs to get the best shot. I don't have a feel for how well the reviewers can envision an edited lyric within a preexisting demo.I don't have a feel for how well anyone can do it. I do not think it is an industry practice. Even when I change some words in one of my own songs, I have to hear it to positively know if the change is a keeper. To expect others to make a confident decision based on what they imagine a finished product to sound like would probably be pushing it. How comfortable will the screener be attaching a note to your submission asking Geroge Jones or Celine Dion just to imagine whether or not they like your edits?Still, nothing unreasonable about your question. It takes time to get a feel for what the Taxi service is and is not, does do and does not do. It is a feel I am gradually acquiring, enough so to know that indeed you will have to re-record if you are going to make changes, to give yourself a fair chance.To address out of order: re-recording can be very expensive. The second time around usually carries the same rate.So don't rush right out and re-record based on a small amount of critical input. The one or two opinions you may have so far, might not be the consensus but the minority.Another reason is that it probably takes some time for you to know if you want to keep your own edits. Some last only a day, others may hang on for weeks before finally being culled.

ssisk

Post by ssisk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:07 am

Thanks for your replies. I am currently producing my own demos at a professional studio, so lyrical changes can be done with a simple punch in on the vocal track. It isn't as bad as having to start from scratch. Melodic changes would obviously be different.I know what you are saying about not jumping to finalize changes. I have already rewritten my rewrites several times! I let it "soak", then come back. I do see merit in some (but not all) of the criticisms/suggestions which is why I am rewriting. I have also recorded a demo produced by Larry Butler (He produced Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, John Denver, and many others). Larry's production is significantly different than today's current sound, but he insists that the A & R people will "hear past" the production and can envision the song itself. I am not sure I believe that based on my experience thus far. The feedback on that demo has been that it sounds "dated". I am trying to find the middle ground between overproducing a demo, and failing to give the listener an example of the final product, but it seems the most likely road to success is to produce a demo that is pretty much "radio ready". Onward and upward!Sandra

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:31 am

When I've already put time into a recording and have it critiqued and rejected, when it comes around to rewriting, I try to start from scratch and fix everything, make a new recording from the start. I sometimes think the second time around takes the best of the previous performances and puts in some new energy.... I do my own demos in my own studio on my own time.... which is inexpensive, but I do all the performances. Sometimes that is a drawback in that my vocal might not be helping to sell the song.....ArkJack

ssisk

Post by ssisk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:49 am

I am a very good vocalist, and have a good home studio, but I lack the instrumental capability and the engineering/mixing skills. Ah, if only I had an unlimited budget....Sandra

gjohnson

Post by gjohnson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:18 am

I spoke to taxi about this personally in a phone call to them and they said just a notation on the lyric sheet mentioning the change would be fine. Is this wrong?

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:49 am

Quote:I am relatively new to Taxi and I am just starting to get some critiques on my submissions. I want to address the suggestions for improving the lyrics for future submissions--do I need to recut the demos (i.e. punch in the new lyrics) or is it acceptable to note the edited lyrics on the lyric sheets and leave the original demo intact? It becomes costly to re-record, but I want my songs to get the best shot. I don't have a feel for how well the reviewers can envision an edited lyric within a preexisting demo.Thanks for your advice!SandraDid you use a demo service? Some demo services for a smaller fee (than the cost of a whole new redo) can take your master copy and reinsert changed lines in your song provided the changes aren't too numerous and the same vocalist you used is still with their studio....at least, that's what I've heard. It might be worth doing that because it's better to submit a fully finished product, imo.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:00 am

Quote:Thanks for your replies. I am currently producing my own demos at a professional studio, so lyrical changes can be done with a simple punch in on the vocal track. It isn't as bad as having to start from scratch. Melodic changes would obviously be different.I know what you are saying about not jumping to finalize changes. I have already rewritten my rewrites several times! I let it "soak", then come back. I do see merit in some (but not all) of the criticisms/suggestions which is why I am rewriting. I have also recorded a demo produced by Larry Butler (He produced Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, John Denver, and many others). Larry's production is significantly different than today's current sound, but he insists that the A & R people will "hear past" the production and can envision the song itself. I am not sure I believe that based on my experience thus far. The feedback on that demo has been that it sounds "dated". I am trying to find the middle ground between overproducing a demo, and failing to give the listener an example of the final product, but it seems the most likely road to success is to produce a demo that is pretty much "radio ready". Onward and upward!SandraI usually sit on changes for a while as people have pointed out here, and if I'm getting the same feedback from everyone, meaning that everyone is saying a certain line of the song or part of the melody needs tweaking, then I'll go with that. What EVERYONE finds wrong with the song will usually be the main source of the problem anyway....that 'ole 'common agreement' thing. Didn't read this other post of yours before I left my first answer...glad you have a good demo service to work with.