How to know if you are re-submitting to the same

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slap
Active
Active

How to know if you are re-submitting to the same

Post by slap » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm

There is something that is bothering me some and I'd like your take on it.I have had quite a few forwards in 2008 (32 forwards out of 44 instrumental tracks submitted) and, pretty much like everybody else here, I have to be a good boy and chill in the waiting room, hehe My gripe is this: How can you tell if a given cue , say an action /suspense type cue like this:HIGH TENSION/SUSPENSE INSTRUMENTALS for various Film/TV placements are wanted by a very successful Production Music Library who has placements with ABC,...... that is now entitled : "NEW" (as of the current 1st of dec.08 listing), that this cue then is not actually coming from the same company I may have been submitting to and forwarded to successfully a few months back. How do i know? The company's name is not mentioned. Do you just check the exact wording and if it is the same, assume it's the same company? OR do you send the same cues one more time, does that really make a difference? Shouldn't there be some sort of warning bult in the submission process that warns you of such a situation?Why would a company like your tune better the second time than they did the first, since you haven't heard from them. At that rate, one could send the same cue 30 times and play the numbers game.Who has a thought on this ? Can't believe others have not had the same situation !!!

zingstone
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: How to know if you are re-submitting to the sa

Post by zingstone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 pm

Quote:How can you tell if a given cue...is not actually coming from the same company I may have been submitting to and forwarded to successfully a few months back.This is a very interesting point slap, and I don't really know the answer but am always prepared to speculate without charging you five bucks.It may well be that the assertion I made in an ignored post earlier in the week has (gasp) actual validity; that if the client doesn't find what they're looking for the first time, they re-advertise.It might also mean that they did find something, but now have other slots to fill, and are simply running the same ad.Whichever it is, I think Taxi should include clarification on this each time to prevent all these poor musicians wasting their precious lucre and time. "Previous applicants need not apply" or something.Otherwise cynics might think the worst.
This post is the kiss of death to your thread.

slotter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slotter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 am

Taxi tend to advise when a company is re-running a listing.It happened with one I submitted for.. hang on I'll find it...here it is:HIGH ENERGY HARD ROCK/PUNK SONGS AND INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Music Supervisor for a few new reality shows by the creators of "Jackass" and "Rob and Big". If you already submitted to D081030RK, please submit different material - as noted in that listing, this Sup had a very urgent need for material but also would like a range to work with over time. You can think in the stylistic approach of Demented Are Go!... etc.not sure if that clears anything up?

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:02 am

"If you already submitted to D081030RK, please submit different material "This also is posted on other listings in a different form:If you already submitted to xxxxxx, you do not need to submit to this listing"They've been adding these tags for at least the 2+ years that I've been a member.Sometimes libraries are building their collections or have ongoing needs, so you may see a listing repeated every few months as well. If you see a listing that your not sure about, just call Taxi. HTH

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 am

Dec 7, 2008, 7:02am, anne wrote:"If you already submitted to D081030RK, please submit different material "This also is posted on other listings in a different form:If you already submitted to xxxxxx, you do not need to submit to this listing"They've been adding these tags for at least the 2+ years that I've been a member.Sometimes libraries are building their collections or have ongoing needs, so you may see a listing repeated every few months as well. If you see a listing that your not sure about, just call Taxi. HTHYes but sometimes they don't always have this clarification. I submitted a song to a listing and was forwarded . . . . a year later there was a similiar listing, I submitted the same song & it was forwarded. Then I noticed it was the same company for the same tv show opp. So it can happen. It seems that there could be some kind of software solution that would bounce a submission back if it had already been forwarded to the same listing. Then Taxi could notify us & give us a credit for the submit.Even with the "if you submitted and were forwarded to listing xxxxx don't submit again" who could remember after almost a year? I have trouble remembering details from last month.

zingstone
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by zingstone » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:29 am

Quote:It seems that there could be some kind of software solution that would bounce a submission back if it had already been forwarded to the same listing. Then Taxi could notify us & give us a credit for the submit.Not a bad idea bill, especially with the meta tagging capabilities available today. As long as you're submitting the same finished file, there should be a way for a submissions database to record which has gone to whom and when, and flag up any repeats.Of course it'd be a vast and expensive undertaking, but can one really put a price on great customer relations?
This post is the kiss of death to your thread.

slap
Active
Active

Post by slap » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:36 am

I have seen those "... If you have already submitted to listing bla bla bla .." comments, those are fine. I would never had made a post about the subject if I had seen those warnings on a consistent basis, but they aren't.In my specialized field of interest, instrumental music, most of the listings are for : action/CSI suspense/extreme sports/ kinda stuff.This is where Taxi's way of doing things gets annoying: I have no clue as to who asked for the cues , so I don't know if i am re-submitting to the same people, and, of course, I will be kept in the dark, even after a forward, till the Holy Library calls me up, maybe.. sometimes...I would ask Taxi to clear at least this one irritating aspect. It's not the 5$, obviously, if you can't afford to play by the Taxi rules, well don't, simple as that.But I sure hate to learn eventually that my exact same cue has been re-forwarded to the same people three months down the road. Time is a terrible thing to waste

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:46 am

Quote:My gripe is this: How can you tell if a given cue , say an action /suspense type cue like this:HIGH TENSION/SUSPENSE INSTRUMENTALS for various Film/TV placements are wanted by a very successful Production Music Library who has placements with ABC,...... that is now entitled : "NEW" (as of the current 1st of dec.08 listing), that this cue then is not actually coming from the same company I may have been submitting to and forwarded to successfully a few months back. How do i know? The company's name is not mentioned. Do you just check the exact wording and if it is the same, assume it's the same company? OR do you send the same cues one more time, does that really make a difference? Shouldn't there be some sort of warning bult in the submission process that warns you of such a situation?Why would a company like your tune better the second time than they did the first, since you haven't heard from them. At that rate, one could send the same cue 30 times and play the numbers game.Well, one thing is if anyone is submitting the same song for a listing that they did last year... maybe they need to write more songs. We're really the only ones that have control over what goes in. If you're doing instrumental tracks, I'm guessing you're doing it out of a home studio, so writing new music isn't an issue. From my perspective, if I submitted a song to 30 different places and didn't get any interest in a reasonable amount of time, I'd start sending new music on my 31st submission.Anyway, when a listing company needs music again, we'll usually see the same listing and the wording will be familiar, like the "Meditative European Spa" listing. If you're submitting enough to lose track of what you're submitting over time, keep a little folder and do a few minutes of review before submitting to similar listings. FWIW,Dave

slap
Active
Active

Post by slap » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks for your input Dave, but it doesn't quite work that way..It's not like writing one piece and re-submitting it to death, but if you believe in the validity of one of your cues, the fact that it was forwarded a few times still doesn't give it any kind of life, if no Mr. Music Library Guy has shown concrete interest. In my case anyway I have a pretty extensive set of cues to offer, so obsession is not of my character traits.Nobody and nothing is perfect, including Taxi, so i am pointing out a gray zone that could be possibly be improved.And yeah, I know the " ...Meditative Spa" listing by heart, gee, nothing seems good enough for 'em it seems

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Dec 7, 2008, 4:51pm, slap wrote:And yeah, I know the " ...Meditative Spa" listing by heart, gee, nothing seems good enough for 'em it seems I think they do new CD's or whatever each time... which is good for us!