HYBRID, TRAILER-Style ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS (revised!)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

HYBRID, TRAILER-Style ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS (revised!)

Post by MattCurious » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:35 am

Hi everyone

Like a lot of people, I've been working on my trailers. Had some big ideas but didn't have the technology to support them. This is my first attempt with a decent sample library.

All comments welcome - this is a working mix. In particular, do you think these is "hybrid" enough? Some of the references seem to have only hybrid elements whereas others seem to be more driven by them. What do you think?

Here is the track: https://soundcloud.com/matt_curious/01- ... p3/s-wIoFj

Here is the listing:

HYBRID, TRAILER-Style ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Top-Notch Music Licensing Company with a really long and impressive list of placements in Film, TV, Commercials, and Trailers. Please submit impactful, current-sounding Instrumentals in All-Tempos that can stylistically match the intensity and style of a Big Blockbuster Theatrical Trailer. Please take a listen to the following examples to get in the general ballpark of what they need:

“Illusions” by Thomas Bergersen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qzm3UUTrg

“False King” by Two Steps From Hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZz9mvCcyPk

“Breach Of Faith” by Fringe Element: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxXxCDGzpCM

“Brutal Revolution” by Music Junkies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHfJMLFXtM

“Unstoppable” by E.S. Posthumus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaUYcwEpSw

Give them epic pieces that demand attention and deliver a big emotional impact, with heart-pounding percussion, beefy brass, and sweeping strings. Submissions should be structured like a typical film trailer, with three distinct acts that build as your composition progresses. Your hybridized elements can include Electro, Rock, Hip-Hop, or Dubstep to give your piece the added flair they’re after.

Non-Lyrical Choral samples are okay for this pitch. Easy edit points and buttoned endings are strongly encouraged. Please do not copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the music you submit for this pitch are NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Any applicable sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by TAXI - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Wednesday, February 17th, 2016. TAXI #U160217HT

Thanks!
Matt
Last edited by MattCurious on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

madkeys88
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HYBRID, TRAILER-Style ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS

Post by madkeys88 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Matt,
I really like the piece. I think your samples sound really good and your orchestration was nice. I'm not an expert on hybrid-type trailers. Your piece builds nicely, but looking at the listing, the suggestion is to have three "acts" and your's is basically one that builds.

Anyway, I DO really like what you did. Perhaps you can build in a couple other sections and I think it would be a strong candidate for the listing. Good luck!

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Really nice piece, Matt. It certainly could be categorized as "Epic", but lacking the typical 3-act structure it falls short. Each act must build with obvious edit points. Also, it could use much bigger drums. But overall it's very good.

Steve

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks, guys. Re the acts / edit points - how do you suggest these are made more obvious? I'm keen that the piece should remain flowing and cohesive (based on previous feedback) - what would you suggest to maintain the balance between this is being a single "building" piece and also having three distinct acts? Is it just a case of signalling the changes with, say, drum breaks and cymbal crashes, or is it more about the evolution of the sections themselves?
matt-collinson.com

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:47 am

MattCurious wrote:Thanks, guys. Re the acts / edit points - how do you suggest these are made more obvious? I'm keen that the piece should remain flowing and cohesive (based on previous feedback) - what would you suggest to maintain the balance between this is being a single "building" piece and also having three distinct acts? Is it just a case of signalling the changes with, say, drum breaks and cymbal crashes, or is it more about the evolution of the sections themselves?
Hi. I'd say you have truly great riff that starts from the beginning of track but like others have mentioned track is not growing but rather stays on same energy level mostly.

3 acts basically means three levels of compositions where in each act intensity grows and usually between acts there is short break. Intensity can mean either more instruments but more anxiety also in terms of orchestral arrangement. Here I've picked from 2 of those mentioned reference tracks these examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHfJMLFXtM

First act until 0:52
Second act: 0:52 —> 1:19
Third act 1:19 —> end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaUYcwEpSw

First act until 0:44
Second act: 0:44 —> 2:05
Third act: 2:05 --> end

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:55 am

Thanks, Arska - that's a bit clearer now, thanks. So more of a build and release than a constant build.
matt-collinson.com

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:17 am

Matt, Nick Murray made an excellent tutorial called How To Make Epic Music. He also talked about this stuff at the past two Road Rallies. Also, you may want to bookmark these YouTube channels:

The Trailer Music
Trailer Music Weekly
Trailer Music World

Here you'll find the music used in actual trailers (so you know where the bar is!). You can also find YouTube channels by the guys that do most of this work (Position Music, Immediate, Epic Score, etc.)

Good luck!
Steve

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am

stevebarden wrote:Matt, Nick Murray made an excellent tutorial called How To Make Epic Music. He also talked about this stuff at the past two Road Rallies. Also, you may want to bookmark these YouTube channels:

The Trailer Music
Trailer Music Weekly
Trailer Music World

Here you'll find the music used in actual trailers (so you know where the bar is!). You can also find YouTube channels by the guys that do most of this work (Position Music, Immediate, Epic Score, etc.)

Good luck!
Steve
+1

Nick Murray's tutorials are incredibly helpful as is listening to trailer music on it's own without dialogue.

-Joseph

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:12 am

Cheers, both - that's good advice. I'll be getting to the Rally as soon as I can afford the international air fare!
matt-collinson.com

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi guys

Thanks again for the great advice.

I got to spend a bit of time looking over some of those tutorials, and they've helped heaps. Unfortunately, I think I'm out of studio time for the Wednesday listing, so I think I've going to have to go fairly close to what I've got. On the one hand, it's a straight-line build similar to Nick's example of the Cinderella trailer (admittedly with less obvious "here comes Act 2 signals); on the other, the acts are less distinct than in the references. But I am where I am and the pitch will be useful feedback.

Fortunately, I did have some time to sidechain the drums and play with their EQ a bit to bring more of the transient out. Steve - is this more like it do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/matt_curious/01- ... er-i-mix-2

Thanks again!
Matt
matt-collinson.com