I can't even get a drone right! :D

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

I can't even get a drone right! :D

Post by tpwmusic » Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 am

Here's my rejection feedback for a drone request:

https://www.taxi.com/members/k42FZOv_Sp ... 8v3OSqB0_Q

How do you guys create edit points in a drone piece? Also, I thought my ending was a "buttoned / stinger" and does ring-out. Am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,
Glenn

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I can't even get a drone right! :D

Post by AlanHall » Tue May 02, 2023 7:18 am

Glenn,

What I noticed as odd about the ref tracks for this listing is that the two Trent Reznor tracks really ended "hanging". To the point where I thought there was something wrong with my playback, or that there would be a segue into another cue. Not the kind of ending I expected for a drone cue. Maybe that was an important point for the screener? For what it's worth ;)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue May 02, 2023 9:29 am

Drones are harder to get right than people think

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue May 02, 2023 3:46 pm

I've had plenty of drones returned. Edit points are somewhat silly in them, editors usually cut where they want them to end and then add a fade (which is just a quick click and drag in their video editing software).
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue May 02, 2023 5:55 pm

tpwmusic wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 am
Here's my rejection feedback for a drone request:

https://www.taxi.com/members/k42FZOv_Sp ... 8v3OSqB0_Q

How do you guys create edit points in a drone piece? Also, I thought my ending was a "buttoned / stinger" and does ring-out. Am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,
Glenn
Can you post a link to your song?

I read the listing and it did say edit points were required. So if you didn't have them, that alone would make it a return. I agree with Paulie that edit points in a drones cue don't seem that important but I'm not the client and I don't know what I don't know. It's apparent from the listing wording that this is a very high bar listing so it's very possible your cue would be fine for other libraries. So hang in there!

:D Casey
SYNTH DRONE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Promotions, Advertising, and other TV Programming.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following references to get yourself in the general wheelhouse of what they need:

"It’s Your Turn" by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

"Everything Burns" by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

"Memory Destroyer" by Christophe Beck

"Electric Grounds" by Cryo Chamber

Quoting the Library: "Instruments should not sound like Omnisphere 2.0 - instead, I encourage composers to create some custom-made textures."

Please send them well-produced Drone Instrumental Cues that evoke an overall unsettling moody vibe and feel. Your submissions should have state-of-the-art synths, minimal melodic movement, and stick to a singular idea throughout to keep your Cues cohesive. Incorporating some extra instrumentation (like sparse percussion, pulsing bass notes or pads, muted, cinematic sound design elements, etc.) could work to add a subtle sense of forward motion, but please be sure not to over do it! Less is more for these types of Instrumental Cues. Please be sure your productions are polished, and any and all virtual sounds you use are high-quality and cutting edge.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. Go ahead and submit to this opportunity if that's you! Also, if you're an experienced producer that can deliver the goods in this genre, they're especially interested in hearing what you can do!

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, April 19th, 2023. TAXI # S230419DR

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 03, 2023 2:48 am

"I can't EVEN get a drone right" implies that you think it should be easy, yet the first ref track is by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, so doesn't that rather devalue their efforts? :shock: ;) J/K of course, but if it was easy why would anyone splash the cash for the big names to do it ?

As for edit points, they might seem a waste of time but if that's what it says in the listing then that's what will guide the screeners, and ignoring it risks return. Could you get out of your existing track cleanly at one or more points if that's what was needed to fit the screen action?

I'm no drone expert, but my suggestion would be to create places where development in the sonic components or layers stops or reaches a conclusion before another cycle begins. At such places (just as an example) you might be able to write subtle 'hangs' where all but one texture drops out so what's left would be easy to edit, but making that engaging rather than clunky and distracting is part of the art. No, its not as easy as we all think to do this well and it requires some creativity, but finding ways to make it work could set you apart with the screeners and the library.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Wed May 03, 2023 6:50 am

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:48 am
"I can't EVEN get a drone right" implies that you think it should be easy, yet the first ref track is by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, so doesn't that rather devalue their efforts? :shock: ;) J/K of course, but if it was easy why would anyone splash the cash for them to do it ?

As for edit points, they might seem a waste of time but if that's what it says in the listing then that's what will guide the screeners, and ignoring it risks return. Could you get out of your existing track cleanly at one or more points if that's what was needed to fit the screen action?

I'm no drone expert, but my suggestion would be to create places where development in the sonic components or layers stops or reaches a conclusion before another cycle begins. At such places (just as an example) you might be able to write subtle 'hangs' where all but one texture drops out so what's left would be easy to edit, but making that engaging rather than clunky and distracting is part of the art. No, its not as easy as we all think to do this well and it requires some creativity, but finding ways to make it work could set you apart with the screeners and the library.
Did you listen to the reference tracks? One of them is over 8 minutes long, and the two Trent tracks literally just ended abruptly after a minute or so. I think writing a drone, with multiple edit points and keeping it 2 minutes long like the listing asked for, is very challenging. I'm looking forward to hearing the tracks that were forwarded that's for sure.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 03, 2023 10:21 am

tpwmusic wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 am
Did you listen to the reference tracks? One of them is over 8 minutes long, and the two Trent tracks literally just ended abruptly after a minute or so.
That's probably what the composers were asked to do ;). Also, its most likely they will have been writing to picture, whereas library tracks have no picture (yet). It appears that this library expect (although can't know in advance) that their customers will want edit points and have requested them, so Its our job to find a way to deliver what they want. You could always post your track and see what others would suggest for edit points, but I don't see why getting good at drones is significantly different to getting good at other genres (that need edit points too).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:35 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:29 am
Drones are harder to get right than people think
Truer words have never been spoken :lol: That's why I gave up on them years back, just not my forte.