I could use some community input

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

robbylane
Impressive
Impressive

I could use some community input

Post by robbylane » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:24 pm

What I am about to ask is very "off topic" for this forum. But, because many songs ARE love songs, perhaps some answers will ring up a few good song ideas. I 43 years old and I have been dating a gorgeous gal for a few years who is in her 50's. We are not engaged, so by all common purposes, we are boyfriend and girlfriend. However, using the BF and GF words seems much better suited for younger people in high school or in their 20's. I am forever in search of a better way to label us. What is a more mature way of saying boyfriend or girlfriend? Partner?Other half?Special Someone? None of the above examples really cut it for me, but this is a topic worth exploring. She and I had a discsussion about this very topic recently and I told her I would diligently search for the properly "terms of application". So I ask all of you to offer your input on this one. Will be interesting to see the results! Robby Lane

benjamine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: I could use some community input

Post by benjamine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Feb 25, 2009, 2:24pm, robbylane wrote:What I am about to ask is very "off topic" for this forum. But, because many songs ARE love songs, perhaps some answers will ring up a few good song ideas. I 43 years old and I have been dating a gorgeous gal for a few years who is in her 50's. We are not engaged, so by all common purposes, we are boyfriend and girlfriend. However, using the BF and GF words seems much better suited for younger people in high school or in their 20's. I am forever in search of a better way to label us. What is a more mature way of saying boyfriend or girlfriend? Partner?Other half?Special Someone? None of the above examples really cut it for me, but this is a topic worth exploring. She and I had a discsussion about this very topic recently and I told her I would diligently search for the properly "terms of application". So I ask all of you to offer your input on this one. Will be interesting to see the results! Robby Lane Quote: Topic: Speak Up (Read 664 times)benjamineNew Membermember is onlineJoined: Sept 2008Gender: Male Posts: 21 Re: Speak Up« Result #1 on Feb 21, 2009, 5:16am » The board won't have to close down because with the implicit self imposed censorship and with the possible enforced censorship suggested by certain members it will just become so uninteresting it won't be worth a visit and I can see that's happening already.Here's a new name,The Taxi Message BORED! No offense Robby!!!

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

I'll go for the jugular! Soul mate?Love of my life?Dunno if the rest would like it, but i can tell you she will!
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

robbylane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by robbylane » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Ummm....ahem....Benjamine???? I am not offended, nor am I bored. But my question IS legit. I have always found that musicians have such a cool way with use of the English language (aka Rock Jargon) that it is worth seeing various possibilities evolve from a community of very creative people. And again, should someone display an excellent term or phrase, it may well give seed to the beginnings of a great new song idea. What's to lose???

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 pm

baby is always good, my main squeeze. any of these lines could do in a pinch..Quote:Sugar Pie, Honey BunchFour Tops I Can't Help Myself LyricsSongwriters: Dozier, Lamont; Holland, Brian; Holland, EddieSugarpie honeybunchYou know that I love youI can't help myselfI love you and nobody elseIn and out my lifeYou come and you goLeaving just your picture behindAnd I kissed it a thousand timesWhen you snap your fingersOr wink your eyeI come a running to youI'm tied to you, babyAnd there's nothing I can doOoh, sugarSugarpie honeybunchI'm weaker than a man should beI can't help myselfI'm a fool in love you seeWanna tell you I don't love youTell you that we're throughAnd I've triedBut everytime I see your faceI get up all choked up insideWhen I call your name, girlIt starts the flame Burning in my heartTearin' it all apartNo matter how I tryMy love I cannot hideSugarpie honeybunchYou now that I'm weak for youI can't help myselfI love you and nobody elseSugarpie honeybunchI'll do anything you ask me toI can't help myselfI want you and nobody elseSugarpie honeybunchYou know that I love youI can't help myselfI can't help myself

southpaw
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by southpaw » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Friends with benefits! Lol! Just kidding.
Stay Fresh,

Jamie Leger 
The Music Business Architect for Independent Musicians

--> FREE GUIDE: Double New Fan Signups At Your Next Show!

Proudly Helping Hundreds of Modern Musicians liberate the music business-on their own terms.

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 pm

I would get a kick out of calling her 'My Girlfriend'
Billy

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Feb 25, 2009, 4:39pm, byllsong wrote:I would get a kick out of calling her 'My Girlfriend' It's not as much about the words as it is about how you say them...

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 pm

There is no good term...we're going to have to make one up. Seriously. All the terms are either for kids (my squeeze), or too silly (my sweetie), or too formal (my ladyfriend), or too embarrassing (my lover), or sort of coded (my partner...sorry, that's either a business relationship or a gay relationship).Sorry, you're going to have to get either creative or married.

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Feb 25, 2009, 5:07pm, lyle wrote:There is no good term...we're going to have to make one up. Seriously. All the terms are either for kids (my squeeze), or too silly (my sweetie), or too formal (my ladyfriend), or too embarrassing (my lover), or sort of coded (my partner...sorry, that's either a business relationship or a gay relationship).Sorry, you're going to have to get either creative or married. Oh yeah..."significant other"...something an English teacher must have made up. Nope. Don't whisper that in her ear.