I got a contract- I think?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

I got a contract- I think?

Post by nicotina » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 pm

I got my first contract offer last week, based on a Taxi Forward. It is a reputable library, and I was very excited!

Unfortunately, a week has passed and they haven't returned my email (I replied to them the next day). I replied again last night, in case they just didn't see the first email.

I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong. They sent a standard contract, and told me to reach out if I had any questions. I did have questions, since I don't know what format they need, where to send it etc. So I sent a short polite email asking those questions.

Probably I'm just too impatient, but a week is a long time to be unresponsive in my work world. Maybe music biz is different :)

Hey, even if it falls through, I'm still excited that my material is now good enough to go into a library. Taxi, and the friendly people in the Forum, had a lot to do with that. When I started Taxi I couldn't produce anything that didn't sound like a pre-teen garage band. Never have I learned so much in so short a time (with apologies to my University) !

Vince

DaveZ
Impressive
Impressive

Re: I got a contract- I think?

Post by DaveZ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm by no stretch an authority on this but my guess is it can take a bit. I think you have the precisely the right attitude regarding it though!

Dave

BMiller
Active
Active

Post by BMiller » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 am

Congrats! I've experienced, a few times, where it took over a week for a reply. Usually because they were finishing a project or just got swamped with work and had to put things in order to finish. Hang in there, if they sent a contract they must be interested in your work and you should hear back eventually!

Paulkrieg

Post by Paulkrieg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me last week. The Library sent a contract but it didn’t have my name on it. It said it was just for me to peruse. They said don’t hesitate to ask questions. I said what do you need next they wrote back and said 24bit file and a 15 and 30 second edit. I sent the edits and the full track file and haven’t heard back for a week. I keep checking their website to see if they posted my track. Hopefully it will work out but even if it falls through it was still cool to have the attention. Mine was an electro swing track. Let us know if you hear back on yours!

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 am

Congratulations Vince!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

ksutton1207
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ksutton1207 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Paulkrieg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm
I had a similar thing happen to me last week. The Library sent a contract but it didn’t have my name on it. It said it was just for me to peruse. They said don’t hesitate to ask questions. I said what do you need next they wrote back and said 24bit file and a 15 and 30 second edit. I sent the edits and the full track file and haven’t heard back for a week. I keep checking their website to see if they posted my track. Hopefully it will work out but even if it falls through it was still cool to have the attention. Mine was an electro swing track. Let us know if you hear back on yours!
Definitely make sure you have a signed contract from both parties and have reviewed the terms with legal counsel, if needed, or at least understand them, before sending them any music. Not saying this particular library would use your music without authorization, but you want to cover yourself.

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 am

Paul,

Mine was also an electo-swing track and they gave me a contract to "peruse", so I think you and I got emailed by the same library. The only difference is that they were slightly more communicative with you. I am tempted to do what you did and send them the files- maybe they just forgot to tell me to do that?.

Yet again, reality falls short of my dreams. Getting my first contract was supposed to feel like acceptance and validation of my work. This feels exactly the opposite.

I feel better knowing that it's not just me, though!

Vince

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Congrats, Vince!
It may take a while for the Library to contact you. I've sent requested edits to a Library and it took over a month for that Library to send me the contract.
All's well that ends well though, I've signed 6 tracks with them since.

I wouldn't try to contact this Library knowing that they may be dragging their feet a little. Most Libraries are very busy which can make them slow to respond and that's a good thing for you and I. It means they are busy shopping music from their catalog to their clients. The best way to get a Library to cater to you is.. keep making great music! At least you have an open door now!

Even if this doesn't work out.. TAXI has many more clients anxious to find License-able music for their catalogs. Just keep plugging, Vince and don't lose hope and try not to worry!

I hope this all works out for you!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

Paulkrieg

Post by Paulkrieg » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks Danny! Well said and very encouraging.

-paul

Got2compose
Active
Active

Post by Got2compose » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 am

Congrats! Best of luck with this!!!
Joe Coleman