I got synchronizing payment but not performance royalty, normal?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

I got synchronizing payment but not performance royalty, normal?

Post by arska » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:24 am

Hi there!

My PRO pays both performance and synchronizing royalties. I noticed that I got small synchronizing payment for a track in Catfish that I haven't got any performance royalties though. If I got it correct synchronizing fee is paid if TV-show is saved in a physical format such DVD etc...

Is it normal that some synchronizing fee can be paid by PRO before perfomance royalties for the same track is paid? Or is it possible that only sync fee would be paid but not performance royalties.. hardly? Hoping to see some performance royalties also for that track.

As side note: It was pleasure to see finally also the name of the TV-show that used my music. Besides Catfish I got small sync fee also from the show "Are you the One?". But performance royalties seems to be in total different league compared to these synch fees.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: I got synchronizing fee but not performance royalty, normal?

Post by ttully » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am

Hi arska,
Yes... it is very common for a sync fee to be paid before royalties.
The sync fee is usually paid directly to you from the publisher...or library, after they receive it from the user.
And depending on each publisher or libraries policies, is when they will give you
your share of the sync fee.

The royalties can take 6 to 9 months to get deposited to your PRO.

My 6 to 9 cents worth,
Tim

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: I got synchronizing payment but not performance royalty, normal?

Post by arska » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am

Okey appreciate for your reply, thanks!

So sync fees and royalties can be basically paid with totally indepnedent schedules, fine.

Yes, I've noticed I''m still getting performance royalties from Q1 and Q1 of 2017 =) As its takes even longer because ASCAP etc will pay to my local PRO which then pays for me.