i guess it depends on the screener

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

i guess it depends on the screener

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:37 pm

So Had a bunch of returns from cues I sent to the RR Interesting though most of the cues were already forwarded. One that PERPLEXED ME WAS Those uncanny neighbors a Dramedy cue . it was forwarded by one screener but returned by another. I also got the feeling that the screeners that listened to these Cues for the RR just wanted to finish them. There was some good critiques, I guess it depends on what each screener hears.
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: i guess it depends on the screener

Post by DennisPMusic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:40 am

Hi

I feel your frustrating.
I also received 4 returns from the RR listings and all four were forwarded without any comments when I pitched them in the first place.
The screener said that 2 two of my songs were to 80s sounding.... well of course, they were pitched to a synthwave listing🤣.
My songs were not all 80s sounding, but also Organic/building and Suspense type of tracks.
So, maybe I/we have misunderstood what these RR listings are used for? Is it just a 2021 sounding playlist they want, because then I think they should be more clear on that in the listing description.
But, I think it's a little worrying that they don't want to forward any of my songs because they need a more contemporary sound and there are no use for these type of songs right now and on the other hand they are running listing for this type of music🤔.
I have also signed one of the returned songs to a Hollywood label last week🤣.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:49 am

Same here! 9 from 10 got returned from the RR listing as not suitable for Film/Tv. Among those 9 are tracks which got forwarded several times (4 to 5 times!) on previous Listings. Some comments of previous forwards: perfect tracks for reality tv and other shows! You tell me! :lol:
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:58 am

melodea wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:49 am
Same here! 9 from 10 got returned from the RR listing as not suitable for Film/Tv. Among those 9 are tracks which got forwarded several times (4 to 5 times!) on previous Listings. Some comments of previous forwards: perfect tracks for reality tv and other shows! You tell me! :lol:
I think Taxi has some explaining to do🤔?
Are these RR listing only a limited greatest hits, because they should have made this more obvious in their description?

I don't want to to keep submitting tracks and use a lot of money doing that, if Taxi basically don't find my/our tracks licenseble, even though they are Forwarding them in the first place.
To be honest, for the most part, the feedback I'm getting from my returns isn't much a help for me, because they are to short or limited and it isn't possible to ask following up questions to your feedback.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 am

In the words of Tom Selleck... "This isn't my first rodeo" :lol: :lol: (Not everyone will get that)

Every forward/return depends on the listing itself, the type of client, the "bar" for the listing, and yes... screeners are human and different screeners might hear something differently. It's possible the RR listings were very high bar because they were to be played for some top notch execs. And the bar for reality TV cues vs. other applications is definitely not the same and even varies within that realm.

Not saying it's a perfect system and there aren't anomalies, things to disagree with, etc. I've had head-scratchers just like everyone. But don't forget... The real "outside" world where you pitch to A&R directly is no different. I've had songs rejected by one library only to be signed by another and placed on network TV. I've had library owners tell me a song is too this or that while another loves it and signs it.

A wise, incredibly successful Taxi member once advised me not to take any single listing as life or death. Just keep writing and pitching. Brush off the returns, especially if the tracks are getting other forwards. If, after taking time to think about it and getting P2P feedback from other reliable sources, you still have issues or need clarification on a return, you can write to headscreener AT taxi dot com. But I would reserve that for the occasional as you don't want to make a pest of yourself.

Again, don't expect a perfect world where humans are involved. Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. :D

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:52 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 am
In the words of Tom Selleck... "This isn't my first rodeo" :lol: :lol: (Not everyone will get that)

Every forward/return depends on the listing itself, the type of client, the "bar" for the listing, and yes... screeners are human and different screeners might hear something differently. It's possible the RR listings were very high bar because they were to be played for some top notch execs. And the bar for reality TV cues vs. other applications is definitely not the same and even varies within that realm.

Not saying it's a perfect system and there aren't anomalies, things to disagree with, etc. I've had head-scratchers just like everyone. But don't forget... The real "outside" world where you pitch to A&R directly is no different. I've had songs rejected by one library only to be signed by another and placed on network TV. I've had library owners tell me a song is too this or that while another loves it and signs it.

A wise, incredibly successful Taxi member once advised me not to take any single listing as life or death. Just keep writing and pitching. Brush off the returns, especially if the tracks are getting other forwards. If, after taking time to think about it and getting P2P feedback from other reliable sources, you still have issues or need clarification on a return, you can write to headscreener AT taxi dot com. But I would reserve that for the occasional as you don't want to make a pest of yourself.

Again, don't expect a perfect world where humans are involved. Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. :D
I agree with 99% of what you said Casey, but I do think the RR Listing was too vague. I think it should be more specific especially if it has such a high bar. I keep writing, submitting, repeating and sucking up returns but this one was a bit different because I can’t correlate the critique with demands in the listing. I think Taxi needs to make an adjustment in that respect!

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 am
My suggestion is to just never submit anything to a RR listing. If it's unspecific, don't expect anything.
This is one way to go. The other one would be to tell Taxi to make it more specific and therefore more inviting to submit.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am

melodea wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 am
CTWF wrote:
My suggestion is to just never submit anything to a RR listing. If it's unspecific, don't expect anything.
This is one way to go. The other one would be to tell Taxi to make it more specific and therefore more inviting to submit.
TELL Taxi?

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am
melodea wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 am
CTWF wrote:
TELL Taxi?
Yes

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:49 am

Hi All! I am chiming in!

I had 4 out of 5 returns. One not forwarded or returned as it was played at the Rally. And that submission for one of the panels Michael said there had been 500 submissions just for that panel!
My song "Warm Affection "was very 1st song played/reviewed at the Rally. Talk about a good crap shoot! I was chopping peppers in the kitchen when I heard the name of the song selected..couldn't believe it!
It had a good review (at least the song is strong) with some improvement needed. And that review was a great experience..much more than a return with some explanation and checked boxes.

Perhaps the RR listings not be screened? No forwards, no returns? Just a chance to be played live? Of course then the opportunity of the forward wouldn't exist but we wouldn't be all bummed out either. There are most likely more returns than forwards and not being for a specific listing like genre etc, it must be difficult for the screener to decide if those on that panel would want the material.

Basically we are getting "critiques in general" here instead of what could be improved for a specific listing. And that is in the eye of the beholder. 2 years ago I had a RR return of a song with a bunch of critique (basically go back to the drawing board) and that very song had been signed a few days before by a great library exclusively. Now if that had not happened and all I had was that return, I would have felt a little down and reworked the song. But it wasn't necessary after all.

Anyway what the hell is the moral of my spiel? I guess for me these RR returns I look at what seems a good idea for improvement and dismiss what does not. Especially if the song is already signed. I am sure those of you who submitted to these panelists were submitting your best so tweak where need be if you want and keep submitting those songs/compositions to every opportunity that suits them.

Best of luck to you all!
Linda C