I have a problem...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

terrydaun

I have a problem...

Post by terrydaun » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:48 am

I have a problem trying to decide which tune or song to submit. I am sure that this has caused me to "miss the mark" on many Sonicbids submissions over the years.If the screener only hears each time what you send to them, then I would imagine this could happen to all of us. Is there anyone at TAXI who, over time, might know your selection well enough to notify you personally to submit to a particular posting?Provided you have what is wanted, can you miss an opportunity just by submitting the wrong tune out of your selection, or by not submitting at all?I was just wondering if my disability will affect my possible success in TV/Film placement.Thanks for your time.Terry

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: I have a problem...

Post by hummingbird » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 am

Quote:I have a problem trying to decide which tune or song to submit. I am sure that this has caused me to "miss the mark" on many Sonicbids submissions over the years.If the screener only hears each time what you send to them, then I would imagine this could happen to all of us. Is there anyone at TAXI who, over time, might know your selection well enough to notify you personally to submit to a particular posting?Provided you have what is wanted, can you miss an opportunity just by submitting the wrong tune out of your selection, or by not submitting at all?I was just wondering if my disability will affect my possible success in TV/Film placement.Thanks for your time.TerryThink of a listing as a job ad from someone who doesn't know you. The screener and the client don't know your cataloque, so it's up to you to submit the right resume for the job. There are different screeners for different styles and no one screener is going to be able to know your music.I too have had great difficulty figuring out where I fit, so I either get custom critiques as ask questions about a la's & what listings to submit to... or I submit to listings with critiques so I know whether or not I hit the mark.Also, many forum members use this forum to get help in figuring out where a piece fits in terms of genre & style.From what I've heard, targetting the listings effectively can be difficult but it's something we all have to learn to do.Hope that helps,cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

terrydaun

Post by terrydaun » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:17 am

Thank you.Terry

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 am

PS - I just wanted to say Terry, that if you're not sure if a song of yours fits a particular listing, post up a link to the song & the details of the listing, and we'll try to help
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

terrydaun

Post by terrydaun » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:28 am

Thank you, that will work.I was about to resign myself to the 'ol sales motto " throw enough noodles against the wall, eventually some will stick".I appreciate it Vikki.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:42 am

Terry, what you have is not "a disability", it's just a lack of experience. Smart salespeople do not just throw stuff against a wall to see what will stick...they do market research to see where their product fits in the marketplace, where that target audience is and how to reach it.When you pitch to film and tv opportunities, trying to make money with your music, you become a "salesperson" for your catalog. It is up to you to figure out which song fits what listing. Since they often give "a la" artists or other descriptions of the music that's needed, this is really not that hard. You just need to be willing to put in the time to listen to those a la artists, or go listen to the cues and categories of a good online music library catalog in cases where they are looking for more "obscure" styles.And of course, as others have suggested, you can post songs here and ask for feedback and help if it's a tricky listing. But you won't get around "doing your homework" in this regard.matto

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Matto:Thanks for the info. May I ask, if I was looking for a library and their catalog that was looking for obscure songs (or whatever).....how would I put that search? "Music library obscure"??This is new ta me so pardon me if you've been asked this question about a zillion times.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Quote:Hi Matto:Thanks for the info. May I ask, if I was looking for a library and their catalog that was looking for obscure songs (or whatever).....how would I put that search? "Music library obscure"??This is new ta me so pardon me if you've been asked this question about a zillion times. What I meant by "obscure styles" are styles that there isn't a Billboard chart for, more or less. Such as, trailers, corporate/industrial, positive beds, comedy...things like that. You won't really be able to give "a la artists" for these types of styles, nor would you encounter them on Billboard charts or when listening to the radio, yet they're all in demand in library music. You can find examples of what these styles and others sound like on any library site.I didn't mean "obscure" as in "not commercial" or "hard to classify". Remember music libraries are all about classification. If they can't classify it somehow they can't sell it.Sorry if this wasn't clear.matto

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 am

Thank you!