I have decided the best way to give back is this thread

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Cat Herder
Impressive
Impressive

I have decided the best way to give back is this thread

Post by Cat Herder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I will try to spend anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes a day here on this thread to answer any question I possibly can. I hope it will be of some help to all. If I am not sure I will say so and someone else may have an answer. 1 question, 1 answer, not to wordy. Watch no one respond, boy will I eat crow.
Last edited by Cat Herder on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carpe Diem

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I have decided the best way to give back is this thread

Post by Cruciform » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Cat Herder wrote:Watch no one respond, boy will I eat crow.
Lol.

I gather you're a publisher working with Mazz, Lydia and some others. I don't have a question for you right now, but this is a good idea and thanks for offering to do it. :)

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Great...thanks for the offer - I might not actually know enough to ask this question intelligently but any light you can shed here would be appreciated.

I've done one sync license for a supervisor of a TV show and since I don't have a publisher I listed myself as publisher. (The tunes are registered with BMI at 200%). If I should find a publisher is it easy to change the cue sheets or at least re-direct the revenue to a publisher or will a publisher be uninterested in those tunes?

Thanks in advance.

Cat Herder
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cat Herder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Rob, yes, that would be me, and thank you

Richard, The fact that you're publisher goes in your favor. All but the purest exclusive libraries would consider your cue because there is no 3rd party involvement. You can simply assign the publishing (under the same title) to the new library. If you think the producer that currently holds you cue may use it again, or you have blanket license you should notify them in writing by registered mail that you have a new publisher for that cue. Above all do not re-title the cue, That is a problem waiting for a place to happen. I see no reason to redo the cue sheets for that publisher. It is only theirs from your contract on, and changing publishers is no big deal. I hope this helps.
Carpe Diem

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm

yes. thank you.

Ayal

Post by Ayal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm

i second rob's thanks. this is like a virtual extension of the road rally! (which was amazing!!)

my question is: what is the typical workflow like for a composer working for an exclusive library? for example, are the composers given specific assignments with deadlines? if so what is a typical deadline? do several composers get the same assignment and only some are chosen for submission to the client?

i apologize if my question is naive...i think this type of gig is something i'd like to strive for, but i don't know the basics of how it actually works & what it would entail. thanks for your time!

Cat Herder
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cat Herder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Ayal, it is a very good question, and there are lot of answers because libraries operate in different modes. I remember Matto once telling me (a coupe years ago) that he was swamped because he had X number of Salsa Disks to do on a deadline. This came up at a time when we were doing a major write for the primary show we work. He had to bow out. Here are two situations in a single story. I am pretty sure he had an incentive to finish the other project which may not be available to him if he put a priority with us. That was ok, because we have a very large group to take up the slack. We put no quotas on our writers. Other libraries that I know want 20 cues per submission, but those submissions are random and may come twice a year, or possibly three times. So here Matto had a given number of disks to complete (10 if I remember), Another client we work with requires groups other than our company to have a cue count while others take them as they come.

Remember that the term exclusive refers to the composition, not the composer unles you are a staff writer, and we have had one late night show staff writer work for us. This is an area where many get confused; what is exclusive? It always refers to the work, not the person.

When it comes to workflow, wow, that is also a hard answer. Some composers work full time, some part time, and some never work (outside of composing, day jobs) In this business you have to feed your family first, care for your family second, but when those things are done you need to be about the business of music. It is a juggling act at times. The more you can produce quality music, the better success rate you will have, and the sooner your life will balance out. (I am a poor roll model). The thing that a lot of people do not understand is that heavy throughput does not always equate to heavy quality. We cannot all be Lamonte Dozier. Develope your craft patiently and with intent, play to you strengts and get better at what you do best, learn the other when you have that luxury. I hope this helps. Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Cat Herder wrote:Develope your craft patiently and with intent, play to you strengts and get better at what you do best, learn the other when you have that luxury.
I have accepted this as a truth for myself. There are people here who seem to be able to do nearly anything. I don't think I'm one of them and after finding some open doors in a very particular direction that matches the music I love to write (no coincidence there!), I intend to pursue that direction with passion, with development of the skills for that area, and so on. If I spread myself too thin, I don't think I would ever acquire the expertise necessary to meet my goals - one of which is to become a "go-to" composer in my genre.

Cat herder, thanks again for offering to do this thread! I think I'll be able to learn a lot. :)

Kazak
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Kazak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm

First, thank you Mr. Cat Herder for your time & expertise.

My question is that I have a song that is either being used or considered (short listed) for a film or TV project with a reputable music library since July. I have personally met one of the music A&R people from this library at SXSW in Austin, so tried to email him once to ask the status, but I never heard back.

Since I'm here in KZ, I do feel at times very isolated, although I will be back in the U.S. for a month long visit starting next week. Should I try to call him or should I just be patient?

Thanks again.

Kazak Kat :))
Alicia Selby

"Though I know I'll never lose affection, for people & things that went before, I know I'll often
stop & think about them, in my life, I love you more ." The Beatles

http://www.aliciaselby.com
http://www.myspace.com/aliciaselbysmusic
http://www.itunes.com/aliciaselby
http://www.twitter.com/aliciaselby

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Mr. Herder,

Would you be so kind as to enlighten us on that strange yet bizarre phenomenon known in our world as "Direct Licensing"?

Even though I have been enjoying the checks from this income stream for a few years now thanks to you, I am still a bit foggy around the edges about the ins and outs of this part of the business.

Please elucidate for us what it is, how it works and the pros and cons, if you would be so kind!

Cheers!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!